Thread poster: Chris Pott
Chris Pott
Chris Pott  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:06
Italian to English
+ ...
Feb 12, 2008

Some time ago, without warning, my PC lost the ability to run multiple parallel sessions in WORD. The version is WORD 2003 running under Windows XP. Since then, when I want to look at/update another WORD file in parallel with a translation (e.g. a glossary, of which I have several), I have to open it in the same WORD session, find what I'm looking for, update, save and close it, so that I can return to the translation session.

I wondered if anyone else had experienced the same prob
... See more
Some time ago, without warning, my PC lost the ability to run multiple parallel sessions in WORD. The version is WORD 2003 running under Windows XP. Since then, when I want to look at/update another WORD file in parallel with a translation (e.g. a glossary, of which I have several), I have to open it in the same WORD session, find what I'm looking for, update, save and close it, so that I can return to the translation session.

I wondered if anyone else had experienced the same problem and knew the solution. The WORD Help function doesn't seem to offer much.

It really would be a great help if I could overcome this problem.

Thanks.

Chris Pott
Collapse

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 18:06
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
Hi Chris Feb 12, 2008

I am not sure: do you mean that you can only have a single Word window?

Chris Pott
United Kingdom
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hi Natalie Feb 13, 2008

Hi Natalie,

Yes. If I have Word running, and select Word again, it doesn't create another session/window. Instead it opens a new blank file e.g. Document2 in the original session/window. If I then close that file, the file I had already opened appears. So I can have multiple files open simultaneously, but am not able to switch from one to the other without either closing the file open or reselecting the other file.

Before, I could have several separate Word sessions/win
... See more
Hi Natalie,

Yes. If I have Word running, and select Word again, it doesn't create another session/window. Instead it opens a new blank file e.g. Document2 in the original session/window. If I then close that file, the file I had already opened appears. So I can have multiple files open simultaneously, but am not able to switch from one to the other without either closing the file open or reselecting the other file.

Before, I could have several separate Word sessions/windows open so I could just switch between them. That was very useful if I had say, three or four glossaries that were relevant to the translation I was doing, as the name of the glossaries appeared in the tabs at the bottom of the screen.

I don't recall actually do anything to the PC that might have caused it to lose that facility, but assume it is still available if only I knew how to restore it.

Regards,

Chris
Collapse

MonikaB
MonikaB  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 18:06
English to German
+ ...
Show windows in taskbar Feb 13, 2008

Hi Chris,

If I understood your problem correctly, this setting should do the trick:

In Word go to Tools > Options > View and select Show windows in taskbar.

Hope this helps

Monika

Chris Pott
United Kingdom
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks to both of you Feb 13, 2008

Hi Monika,

That seems to have done the trick. I can't imagine how the setting was changed as I wasn't even aware of that screen in Tools.

Thanks to you and Natalie. Have a good day.

Chris

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Loss of multiple parallel WORD sessions

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »