TRADL
TRADL
France
Local time: 20:12
English to French
+ ...
Nov 2, 2007

Hello,

I've bought a Wireless USB adapter AW-GU210 from AzureWave to use on a laptop with Windows Me. There seems to be a conflict with the device (yellow exclamation mark next to the name of the device in Device Manager). I've tried all sorts to update the driver and what not but nothing's worked. Any ideas?? Have also written to the manufacturer but no reply yet.

Thanks a lot!

TRADL

Andrzej Lejman
Andrzej Lejman  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
German to Polish
+ ...
The answer is quite simple Nov 2, 2007

There is no conflict, the device simply does not work under Me 98:

Manuf Model: AW-GU210
Approx Weight: 120g

The easy way to upgrade your desktop or notebook to wireless!

# Supports IEEE802.11b/g
# Compliant with USB2.0
# User-friendly set up wizard
# Advanced security with WEP/WPA/WPA2

***** System Requirements MS Windows 2000, XP, Vista*****

* 800 MHz CPU or higher
* 128Mb RAM or mo
... See more

# Supports IEEE802.11b/g
# Compliant with USB2.0

* 800 MHz CPU or higher
* 128Mb RAM or more
* CD-Rom drive
* One Free USB 2.0 Port

Me 98 does not support WiFi ... you need to upgrade your OS.

Regards

Andrzej

[Edited at 2007-11-02 18:54]
Collapse

TRADL
TRADL
France
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Me is not 98 Nov 2, 2007

It says in the user manual it works with Windows Me which by the way is different from Windows 98.

Andrzej Lejman wrote:

# Supports IEEE802.11b/g
# Compliant with USB2.0

* 800 MHz CPU or higher
* 128Mb RAM or more
* CD-Rom drive
* One Free USB 2.0 Port

Me 98 does not support WiFi ... you need to upgrade your OS.

Regards

Andrzej

[Edited at 2007-11-02 18:54]

Shai Navé
Shai Navé  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 21:12
English to Hebrew
+ ...
Windows ME does not support this evice either Nov 2, 2007

Unfortunately, this device is not supported by Windows ME or lower.
The only thing that you can do is to upgrade your Operation System (or to replace this Adapter), as I haven't found any other solution (like 3rd party drivers) to bypass this incompatibility issue.
As a general suggestion I recommend you to upgrade your OS as soon as you can (Maybe even consider the use of Linux?) because this compatibility issues between hardware and older Microsoft OS will only increase. (and of co
... See more
Unfortunately, this device is not supported by Windows ME or lower.
The only thing that you can do is to upgrade your Operation System (or to replace this Adapter), as I haven't found any other solution (like 3rd party drivers) to bypass this incompatibility issue.
As a general suggestion I recommend you to upgrade your OS as soon as you can (Maybe even consider the use of Linux?) because this compatibility issues between hardware and older Microsoft OS will only increase. (and of course for other stabillity and security reasons as well).
Collapse

Andrzej Lejman
Andrzej Lejman  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
German to Polish
+ ...
Me is a minor upgrade of 98 Nov 3, 2007

Windows Me = Windows 98 + Internet Explorer + Outlook Express + Windows Media, otherwise available for download for free.
Basically, it's still a graphic shell of DOS and not an operating system itself.
I strongly recommend to upgrade to Win XP (and NOT to Vista yet), since Micro$oft does not provide support for Me any more. Me was very vulnerable and had several security issues.

Andrzej

mediamatrix (X)
mediamatrix (X)
Local time: 14:12
Spanish to English
+ ...
Upgrade? - Not always a realistic solution Nov 3, 2007

Andrzej Lejman wrote:

I strongly recommend to upgrade to Win XP (...).

Andrzej

There are a thousand and one reasons why any particular user may choose not to upgrade to a more recent version of Windows. In my own case, for example, I have a perfectly good but slightly aged laptop that doesn't meet the minimum requirements for XP - but I keep it running under Me simply because it has my preferred (Swiss French) keyboard and such things are difficult to come by here in Chile.

I also have a machine running XP, also with a Swiss French keyboard, and when I went looking for a wifi solution for these machines I easily found hardware that runs under everything since Windows 98SE. And it was a lot less expensive and far less hassle than replacing two machines, plus the OS, plus up-grading all my softwares (including those I've written myself) to have them compatible with the 'upgraded' system.

Rather than suggesting blindly that TRADL should upgrade to XP it would perhaps be more helpful to suggest - as I do in this kind of situation - that it would be easier and less expensive to write off the cost of the AzureWave adapter (probably less than €50*) and go shopping for hardware that is compatible with what you already have. In my own case, for what it's worth, that means a Belkin F507230-4 router (on the XP machine) and a D-Link DWL-G630 card in the Millenium laptop. Works a treat!

MediaMatrix
* 'write-off' is the worst-case scenario - you may be able to flog it...

tectranslate ITS GmbH
tectranslate ITS GmbH
German
+ ...
Me? Oy vey! Nov 3, 2007

mediamatrix wrote:

Andrzej Lejman wrote:

I strongly recommend to upgrade to Win XP (...).

Andrzej

Rather than suggesting blindly that TRADL should upgrade to XP it would perhaps be more helpful to suggest - as I do in this kind of situation - that it would be easier and less expensive to write off the cost of the AzureWave adapter
[/quote]
You certainly got a point there, mediamatrix, but then again, Windows Me is Microsoft's most atrocious, bug-ridden, stinking piece of... I'll stop here, but let me just tell you this: I still rue the day that I bought Windows Me.

Windows XP, even Windows 2000, is just so much better.

Benjamin

Giuseppe C.
Giuseppe C.  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
Did you really have a driver for Windows Me? Nov 4, 2007

TRADL wrote:

Hello,

I've bought a Wireless USB adapter AW-GU210 from AzureWave to use on a laptop with Windows Me. There seems to be a conflict with the device (yellow exclamation mark next to the name of the device in Device Manager). I've tried all sorts to update the driver and what not but nothing's worked. Any ideas?? Have also written to the manufacturer but no reply yet.

Thanks a lot!

TRADL

Are you sure that in your driver software package provided with the adapter there is really a specific driver for Windows Me?
I opened the driver .rar file available on their website for your product and I found only drivers for WinXP and Vista.
Is your driver package a previous version containing also a specific driver for Windows Me?
It all depends upon its availability, otherwise there is no way for you to use that USB adapter under Windows Me.
Look well in your software package for a WinMe driver folder and, when you upgrade the driver, browse to the Windows Me driver folder, if there is really one, otherwise you have to give up or upgrading your operating system to one of those supported in your driver package.

Hope it helps,

Giuseppe

[Edited at 2007-11-04 04:24]

TRADL
TRADL
France
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Problem solved Nov 4, 2007

Thanks for all your input.
I returned the wireless adapter and bought another one in the end which worked like a treat.

mediamatrix (X)
mediamatrix (X)
Local time: 14:12
Spanish to English
+ ...
Oufffff! Nov 4, 2007

TRADL wrote:

Thanks for all your input.
I returned the wireless adapter and bought another one in the end which worked like a treat.

There's a few hundred Euros saved for a rainy day - and 'long live Millenium' !
MediaMatrix

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Driver, troubleshooting, Wireless adapter, Windows Me

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »