Thread poster: Denyce Seow
Denyce Seow
Denyce Seow  Identity Verified
Singapore
Local time: 00:23
Member (2004)
Chinese to English
Oct 4, 2007

I can see on another laptop that some of my folders contain .tmp files. However, I cannot see these files on my Vista laptop even though the 'Show all files and folders' option is selected. What can I do in this case? Are there any other ways to see and delete these files?

[Edited at 2007-10-04 12:51]

Marcelo Silveyra
Marcelo Silveyra
United States
Local time: 09:23
Member (2007)
German to English
+ ...
Haven't done it myself, but... Oct 4, 2007

here's something I found for you:

This tutorial shows the user how to view hidden files and folders on their system.

Seeing your hidden files and system files in Vista is not much different than in XP. Here are the step-by-step directions. Remember that system files are hidden for a reason. Don't go messin' around with stuff.

1. Click the round blue Start thing in the left corner
2. Click Control Panel
3. Click Folder Options
4. Click the
... See more
here's something I found for you:

This tutorial shows the user how to view hidden files and folders on their system.

Seeing your hidden files and system files in Vista is not much different than in XP. Here are the step-by-step directions. Remember that system files are hidden for a reason. Don't go messin' around with stuff.

1. Click the round blue Start thing in the left corner
2. Click Control Panel
3. Click Folder Options
4. Click the View tab
5. Click Show hidden files and folders
6. If you want to see system files as well, unclick Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)
7. Click OK
Collapse

Denyce Seow
Denyce Seow  Identity Verified
Singapore
Local time: 00:23
Member (2004)
Chinese to English
TOPIC STARTER
It works, but I have one more question. Oct 4, 2007

Hi Marcelo,

Thanks a lot!!! Your solution works! My problem was with the 'Hide protected operating system files' option; I did not untick this option.

OK, now I can see the files, but I have another problem... Instead of going through millions of folders to check for .tmp files, how can I search for them on my computer? I tried the Search Document function with '*.tmp' as the search word, but that didn't help....
See more
Hi Marcelo,

Thanks a lot!!! Your solution works! My problem was with the 'Hide protected operating system files' option; I did not untick this option.

OK, now I can see the files, but I have another problem... Instead of going through millions of folders to check for .tmp files, how can I search for them on my computer? I tried the Search Document function with '*.tmp' as the search word, but that didn't help.

[Edited at 2007-10-04 13:07]
Collapse

Marcelo Silveyra
Marcelo Silveyra
United States
Local time: 09:23
Member (2007)
German to English
+ ...
Hi Denyce Oct 4, 2007

Once again, I haven't tried, this, but just in case you haven't done it:

1. On the Start menu, click on "Search"
2. Once the Search window opens click on "Advanced Search"
3. Check the box that says "Include non-indexed, hidden, and system files (might be slow)"
4. Run another search for *tmp.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to see hidden files in Vista

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »