How can I activate chinese characters in Windows XP?
Thread poster: Daniel Jimenez
Daniel Jimenez
Daniel Jimenez  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 00:29
English to Spanish
Sep 5, 2007

Maybe anyone can help me with this. I can't see Chinese characters (nor Japanese or other Asia ones)with my Windows XP SP2 Home, I normally use firefox and I have tried to search for some add-ons but still viewing this: ????
Is it possible that I must have to download any font?, or maybe I have to activate something at some windows menu that I already don´t know?
I haven't got windows CD because the laptop I use came with every thing installed (OS, office, nero,etc), and I even didn
... See more
Maybe anyone can help me with this. I can't see Chinese characters (nor Japanese or other Asia ones)with my Windows XP SP2 Home, I normally use firefox and I have tried to search for some add-ons but still viewing this: ????
Is it possible that I must have to download any font?, or maybe I have to activate something at some windows menu that I already don´t know?
I haven't got windows CD because the laptop I use came with every thing installed (OS, office, nero,etc), and I even didn't buy it in my city, so it's difficult for me now to go to that shop to ask. I've read somewhere that CD is needed to do this. Is that strictly true?
Thank you all in advance!

[Edited at 2007-09-05 16:09]
Collapse

douban
douban  Identity Verified
Germany
English to Chinese
+ ...
east asian language files Sep 5, 2007

Hey, it's been a while since I did this, but you can try. Go to control panel, find the icon that says regional and language options, double click that. When the menu pops up, click the tab called languages. On that page, there is an item called install files for east asian languages, check that, then click "apply". from my memory, it should connect to windows website. Good luck.

Christel Zipfel
Christel Zipfel  Identity Verified
Member (2004)
Italian to German
+ ...
I think... Sep 5, 2007

... go to settings in Firefox, the third tab (contents or something like this), then click advanced and you find there everything you might need.

I have set "western characters", but you find all kinds of characters, also chinese ones.

HTH!

Yaotl Altan
Yaotl Altan  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 17:29
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Keyboards Sep 5, 2007

After that, in the lower part of your screen you'll see the ES symbol (I suppose you're in Spain using a Spanish keyboard) and will be able to change your keyboard to the Chinese one. As a matter of fact, you can have sveral keyboards there.

Some days ago, I followed the same instructions douban kindly wrote with Arabic and it works fine.

Daniel Jimenez
Daniel Jimenez  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you all Sep 5, 2007

Thank you douban, Christel and Yaotl for your fast reply. After a few tries it seems to work, without using a CD and without asking Asus for my key, i had to go to windows folder and then open A386 folder and there were the files the panel asked me for.
Thank you again, so now I can study my very first lesson of chinese (and can read the hanzi).
Regards

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How can I activate chinese characters in Windows XP?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »