How can I retrieve a deleted directory?
Thread poster: Spanish-English Translator
Spanish-English Translator
Local time: 06:15
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jul 28, 2007

I have Windows 98 and Word 2000. Yesterday I transferred files between directories. I guess that I deleted one of these directories because today when I started my PC one directory has disseapeared. The basket bin has only one file. I also searched all the disk for the files but they are gone.
Is there any method to retrieve them? I do not know which level of protection I have at present. Thanks in advance. Ines

Philippe Etienne
Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 11:15
English to French
PC inspector file recovery Jul 28, 2007

http://www.pcinspector.de/file_recovery/uk/welcome.htm

It's free and it can recover files deleted from the bin. However, the more you do operations on the computer before recovering, the less likely files will come out undamaged.
Since you turned off and on the computer between loss and recovery attempts, the files might not be recoverable (but partly overwritten
... See more
http://www.pcinspector.de/file_recovery/uk/welcome.htm

It's free and it can recover files deleted from the bin. However, the more you do operations on the computer before recovering, the less likely files will come out undamaged.
Since you turned off and on the computer between loss and recovery attempts, the files might not be recoverable (but partly overwritten).

Let us know how it goes.
Philippe
Collapse

Steven Capsuto
Steven Capsuto  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:15
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Backups, backups, backups Jul 28, 2007

Backups. Frequent backups. Including periodic off-site backups in case of fires or natural disasters.

English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks. Philippe Jul 28, 2007

I downloaded the Pcinspector. I found some of the files and recovered them. But, I could not open them because Word says that the path is incorrect or the unit is protected. Well, perhaps I have to accept that I lost the files. Thanks to Capsuto also for your advice. Regards, Ines.

Philippe Etienne
Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 11:15
English to French
Try opening them in Notepad Jul 28, 2007

If recovering the text only is of any interest, maybe you could try to open them in various applications or change the files extensions and see what happens.

Philippe

Anna Villegas
Anna Villegas
Mexico
Local time: 03:15
English to Spanish
This should work for your Windows, too. Jul 29, 2007

English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, Tadzio Aug 1, 2007

Thank you for your suggestion and for the graphical assistance. Many days have elapsed and I believe the information has irremediably dissapeared. Can I set a higher level of protection for the future? I remember that my old 386, equipped with Windows 3.11, used to have three levels of protection against deletions. Thanks and regards, Ines

Anna Villegas
Anna Villegas
Mexico
Local time: 03:15
English to Spanish
Try it... Aug 1, 2007

The worst already happened. Recovering your files is only what you have left.
Regarding protection, read the posts from our colleagues:
Steven Capsuto: Backups. Frequent backups. Including periodic off-site backups in case of fires or natural disasters.

Saludos.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How can I retrieve a deleted directory?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »