Thread poster: Francesca Battaglia
Francesca Battaglia
Francesca Battaglia
Italy
Local time: 08:25
English to Italian
+ ...
Apr 24, 2007

I recently bought a new laptop and something unusual happened to me: it seems that .doc files, which means all word files, cannot be opened, i'd even say "cannot be understood" by vista.
I never noticed before but today i had to deliver some files, I had them saved on a usb pendrive so i put it in, searched the files i needed and then a message popped out saying it was impossible to open the file.
So I tried a different path and opened microsoft word editor, opened the file from th
... See more
I recently bought a new laptop and something unusual happened to me: it seems that .doc files, which means all word files, cannot be opened, i'd even say "cannot be understood" by vista.
I never noticed before but today i had to deliver some files, I had them saved on a usb pendrive so i put it in, searched the files i needed and then a message popped out saying it was impossible to open the file.
So I tried a different path and opened microsoft word editor, opened the file from there and it worked.
But then i find out that the format could not be recognised by my client (windows xp).
I tried to change the extension, changing it from .wps (how it automatically saves my files) into .doc files.
I tried sending me the attachment with the modified extension and I could not open it (!!!) and since it was then too late, I still don't know if my client managed to open it or not.

Can someone explain me what to do? Someone maybe has the same problem?

pls help
fra
Collapse

Mirella Soffio
Mirella Soffio  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
Try this... Apr 24, 2007

Prova a togliere il segno di spunta in Strumenti/Opzione correzione automatica/Smart Tag. Pare che gli "smart tag" creino grossi problemi nel SO Vista...

Mirella

Forse può interessarti:

http://www.viasetti.it/installazione-vista.htm

[Edited at 2007-04-24 23:46]

Ulteriori informazio
... See more
Prova a togliere il segno di spunta in Strumenti/Opzione correzione automatica/Smart Tag. Pare che gli "smart tag" creino grossi problemi nel SO Vista...

Mirella

Forse può interessarti:

http://www.viasetti.it/installazione-vista.htm

[Edited at 2007-04-24 23:46]

Ulteriori informazioni qui:

http://www.microsoft.com/italy/athome/together/default.mspx

[Edited at 2007-04-24 23:49]

Your client might need to install a "compatiblity pack", as it seems that by opening and saving your old files you converted them to the new file format supported by Vista:

http://tinyurl.com/ykums3

[Edited at 2007-04-25 00:05]

[Edited at 2007-04-25 00:09]

[Edited at 2007-04-25 00:16]
Collapse

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
Dear Mirella Apr 24, 2007

Could you please add an English version of your comment for the benefit of all users who do not know Italian?

Thank you

Mirella Soffio
Mirella Soffio  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
Ooops - sorry! Apr 25, 2007

Sorry Natalie, I hadn't realized that I was posting on an English-language forum!
It seems that *some* problems can be solved disabling the "Smart tags" option in the Tool menu (in Word).
I can't find any relevant link in English (isn't that weird?), but Microsoft swears that there are no compatibility issues - as long as you download a so-called "compatibility pack" _AND_ the latest u
... See more
Sorry Natalie, I hadn't realized that I was posting on an English-language forum!
It seems that *some* problems can be solved disabling the "Smart tags" option in the Tool menu (in Word).
I can't find any relevant link in English (isn't that weird?), but Microsoft swears that there are no compatibility issues - as long as you download a so-called "compatibility pack" _AND_ the latest updates/patches:

http://tinyurl.com/ykums3

HTH,

Mirella

[Edited at 2007-04-25 00:08]

[Edited at 2007-04-25 00:14]
Collapse

Clarisa Moraña
Clarisa Moraña  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:25
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Posting deleted Apr 25, 2007

I wrongly understood your posting and my reply had nothing to do with it. Sorry.

Clarisa

[Edited at 2007-04-25 01:58]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Words file and Vista..

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »