Dr. Andrew Frankland  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 23:11
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Mar 26, 2007

Dear All,

I'm about to migrate to a new PC that I've built myself. It was surprisingly easy so something is bound to go wrong! Anyway, I was wondering whether I can simply take my old hard drive (with Windows XP already installed) and use it directly in the new PC. If not, is it possible to install XP again (on a new hard drive and use the old one for data backup) from the same installation discs without Microsoft getting annoyed? After all, I will still only have one computer with
... See more
Dear All,

I'm about to migrate to a new PC that I've built myself. It was surprisingly easy so something is bound to go wrong! Anyway, I was wondering whether I can simply take my old hard drive (with Windows XP already installed) and use it directly in the new PC. If not, is it possible to install XP again (on a new hard drive and use the old one for data backup) from the same installation discs without Microsoft getting annoyed? After all, I will still only have one computer with one version of XP running.

Thanks for your comments,

Andy
Collapse

Mulyadi Subali
Mulyadi Subali  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 04:11
English to Indonesian
+ ...
second option... Mar 26, 2007

... is more plausible. however, imo, it will be better for you to just backup your data, and erase/format the old hard drive. then just make it into special hdd to store all your data. this way, you won't have to keep old windows installation that will only take up space.

Bogdan Burghelea
Bogdan Burghelea  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 00:11
English to German
+ ...
Migrating Windows XP Mar 26, 2007

Dr. Andrew Frankland wrote:

Dear All,

I'm about to migrate to a new PC that I've built myself. It was surprisingly easy so something is bound to go wrong! Anyway, I was wondering whether I can simply take my old hard drive (with Windows XP already installed) and use it directly in the new PC. If not, is it possible to install XP again (on a new hard drive and use the old one for data backup) from the same installation discs without Microsoft getting annoyed? After all, I will still only have one computer with one version of XP running.

Thanks for your comments,

Andy

Windows XP has this "nice" feature, meant to protect it form illegal copying, that renders it useless, if it detects new hardware (in your case it would be a new CPU, new motherboard, new graphics card and so on).

I would say, the ONLY option is to backup all your important data and then reinstall XP from scratch on the new hard drive.

As for the activation of XP, Microsoft shouldn't deny you the right of using the same copy EXCLUSIVELY on the new system.

Sonja Tomaskovic (X)
Sonja Tomaskovic (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Done something similar in the past Mar 26, 2007

Due to a hardware failure, I had to do something similar in the past.

However, my system behaved very strangely afterwards. The problem is that your old system had other hardware when you installed Windows on it. Now that there is different hardware, you might run into a few problems. It may either not work at all (i.e. you just get a black screen) or you may run into other trouble even if the computer boots.

It is definitely the best option to install anew. And besides
... See more
Due to a hardware failure, I had to do something similar in the past.

However, my system behaved very strangely afterwards. The problem is that your old system had other hardware when you installed Windows on it. Now that there is different hardware, you might run into a few problems. It may either not work at all (i.e. you just get a black screen) or you may run into other trouble even if the computer boots.

It is definitely the best option to install anew. And besides, a fresh install brings at least one benefit: no cluttered registry.

Sonja
Collapse

Dr. Andrew Frankland
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for the answers so far... Mar 26, 2007

A new install sounds the best option, but does Microsoft allow you to do that without buying a new OS? My current installation is already registered so if they see that I'm installing it for a second time won't they block my registration?

Andy

PAS
PAS  Identity Verified
Polish to English
+ ...
Reinstalling Windows Mar 26, 2007

No, you should not have a problem. I reinstalled (and activated each time) my copy of XP a few times and had no problems.
I own a box (i.e. retail) copy of XP.
If you have an OEM version (that came with the computer, for example), there may be restrictions.

HTH
Pawel Skalinski

Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 16:11
Spanish
+ ...
Call them Mar 26, 2007

As far as I know, Microsoft considers a computer is the same, as long as it keeps the mainboard. That is, you can change everything but the mainboard and you can reinstall the OEM OS all the times as you want.
If you have the retail version, the OS is yours to install it in any computer you want, as long as it's just one computer.

But if you want to be really sure, you can call them.

Happy week,
Claudia

tectranslate ITS GmbH
tectranslate ITS GmbH
German
+ ...
Reinstall to your liking Mar 26, 2007

Just format the drive and reinstall. If you have to re-activate, do it.

You might have to call Microsoft instead of activating online and will then be asked for the reason of the reactivation. Just tell the truth, i.e. that you're migrating to a newly-built PC and they can't deny reactivation.

The number is toll-free in Germany - don't know about Spain, though - and the procedure is quick and painless (I've gone through this a number of times and I never had any proble
... See more
Just format the drive and reinstall. If you have to re-activate, do it.

You might have to call Microsoft instead of activating online and will then be asked for the reason of the reactivation. Just tell the truth, i.e. that you're migrating to a newly-built PC and they can't deny reactivation.

The number is toll-free in Germany - don't know about Spain, though - and the procedure is quick and painless (I've gone through this a number of times and I never had any problems.)

There's a court ruling here in Germany that prohibits Microsoft from limiting resale or reinstallation of their software (OEM or not!) and I would not be surprised if the same applies in Spain. They can't even say you must run it on the same hardware, as long as you have only one copy installed.

HTH,
Benjamin
Collapse

Ken Cox
Ken Cox  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
migrating an OEM version Mar 26, 2007

I suspect that migrating an OEM version of Windows to a new machine is a touchy point with MS. I had to buy a new computer not too long ago when the motherboard died, and my friendly dealer reinstalled XP Pro from the original OEM CD-ROM on a new drive, with my original drive installed as a second drive (so all my files were still avaialble).
Activation of XP was apparently not a problem, but upgrading to SP1 and SP2 *was* a problem. When I tried to upgrade via the MS site, I got a messag
... See more
I suspect that migrating an OEM version of Windows to a new machine is a touchy point with MS. I had to buy a new computer not too long ago when the motherboard died, and my friendly dealer reinstalled XP Pro from the original OEM CD-ROM on a new drive, with my original drive installed as a second drive (so all my files were still avaialble).
Activation of XP was apparently not a problem, but upgrading to SP1 and SP2 *was* a problem. When I tried to upgrade via the MS site, I got a message saying something to the effect that my OS could not be verified.
A phone call to the local MS service office yielded the advice that MS has no obligation to provide support for OEM licences, which must be supported by the dealer. After some pestering, the customer service rep did volunteer the information that an SP2 update CD-ROM is available for the cost of handling and shipping (EUR 8 in this case).
However, the even better news is that I more or less unthinkingly enabled automate update during my efforts, and guess what happened: it automatically updated the OS, first to SP1 and then to SP2, without the least peep of a complaint.

-- Ken
Collapse

Xiangdong Zhuo
Xiangdong Zhuo
China
Local time: 05:11
English to Chinese
Hardware Profile Mar 27, 2007

You may enable different hardware support through hardware profile.

Right-click "My Computer" and select "Properties". Click "hardware profile" on "Hardward" tab. If you can "copy" and then "rename" current profile, you will have a chance to create a new profile for your new PC when it reboot. You can use current OS on your disk for another PC in this way.

Hope it helps.

Dr. Andrew Frankland
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks everyone Apr 2, 2007

I haven't begun the process yet as I'm still missing a cable (I discovered that my mother board doesn't have a serial port and I need one to connect my router). I couldn't find a serial port anywhere so I ordered an adapter that should allow me to connect the router to a USB port instead. It should arrive within the next day or so so I'll let you all know how it goes.

I have the original XP installation disc AND the SP2 disc so I'll go ahead and install these and see what happens. I
... See more
I haven't begun the process yet as I'm still missing a cable (I discovered that my mother board doesn't have a serial port and I need one to connect my router). I couldn't find a serial port anywhere so I ordered an adapter that should allow me to connect the router to a USB port instead. It should arrive within the next day or so so I'll let you all know how it goes.

I have the original XP installation disc AND the SP2 disc so I'll go ahead and install these and see what happens. I phoned Microsoft Spain and they said I would have to buy a new OS as you cannot migrate to a new system if the mother board is different -- we'll see.

In any case I have Windows Vista but I wanted to get everything up and running with XP on the new machine before I change OS. If my new installation of XP doesn't work I'll simply install Vista from scratch and copy everything over from my old hard drive.

Wednesday should be fun!!!

Andy
Collapse

Dr. Andrew Frankland
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Success!!!!! Apr 12, 2007

Well, I installed XP on my new computer along with SP2, both from the original CDs, and everything worked fine. I then registered the product and spent a couple of hours downloading all the patches and updates from Microsoft with no trouble whatsoever. Even Windows Genuine Advantage, or whatever it's called, didn't complain! It seems that Microsoft are being a little economical with the truth. Thanks to everyone for their suggestions and comments.

Andy

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

New PC. New operating system?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »