High CPU Usage problem
Thread poster: PAS
PAS
PAS  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:52
Polish to English
+ ...
Sep 19, 2006

The new version of Google Toolbar has found its way onto my computers a few days ago. I use Internet Explorer.

With it, my CPU usage has become very erratic, jumping to 100% and staying there uitil I close IE.

Has anyone noticed something similar?
I disabled the Google Notifier as soon as I found it, but the problem seems to persist.

Other bits:
1. All possible scans have come up negative.
2. Perhaps against common sense, I don't want to s
... See more
The new version of Google Toolbar has found its way onto my computers a few days ago. I use Internet Explorer.

With it, my CPU usage has become very erratic, jumping to 100% and staying there uitil I close IE.

Has anyone noticed something similar?
I disabled the Google Notifier as soon as I found it, but the problem seems to persist.

Other bits:
1. All possible scans have come up negative.
2. Perhaps against common sense, I don't want to switch to Firefox.
3. I like the Google Toolbar and use it massively, so I wouldn't want to have to get rid f it.
4. Desktop config: XP Pro, Athlon 1800+, 512 MB RAM;
Laptop config: XP Home, Celeron 2.7 GHz, 512 MB RAM.

TIA for any suggestions or pointers.

Pawel Skalinski
Collapse

Trufev
Trufev  Identity Verified
Bulgaria
Local time: 23:52
Member (2007)
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
Try Firefox Sep 19, 2006

You can try Mozilla Firefox brauser.
It supports the Google Toolbar and the pages are loaded considerably faster. There are also many other extras.

Regards,
Trufev

PAS
PAS  Identity Verified
Polish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@ Trufev Sep 19, 2006

Trufev wrote:

You can try Mozilla Firefox brauser

I don't think the problem is with the browser, because it didn't come up before...

P.A.S.

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
English to German
+ ...
I think your comp is heating up easily Sep 19, 2006

PAS wrote:

Trufev wrote:

You can try Mozilla Firefox brauser

I don't think the problem is with the browser, because it didn't come up before...

P.A.S.
My suggestion would be to introduce passive cooling components or more ventilation in the casing. Best Brandis

Luca Tutino
Luca Tutino  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2002)
English to Italian
+ ...
I had to disinstall it too: it would not close properly Sep 19, 2006

As soon as my Google toolbar was updated I had a problem shutting off my PC, as some Google application would not close and had to be terminated manually eachh time.

Result: after years of flawless service my google toolbar is now disinstalled for good.

I did not notice a CPU problem with a Centrino Duo, but I am not surprised that the combination IE+GT would ask for full Athlon or Celeron resources. Firefox should definitely help.

PAS
PAS  Identity Verified
Polish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@ Sep 19, 2006

Brandis:
The only way I can put passive cooling in a laptop is to put it in a plate of water?

Luca: So, I am not alone. I have the previous version of the GT, but will have to find some way of preventing the automatic installation of the new one.

Thanks,
Pawel

Jeremy Smith
Jeremy Smith  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:52
Member (2003)
French to English
+ ...
Google Desktop Search Sep 19, 2006

Google Desktop Search generated this and other problems for me. Things returned to normal after I uninstalled it.

mrr2ro
mrr2ro
United States
Local time: 16:52
English to Spanish
+ ...
It's the Google Bar / Bundled with Firefox latest patch. Sep 19, 2006

[quote]PAS wrote:

I had the same issue and the culprit was Google tool bar, that I never used or downloaded or installed, But the latest firebox patch update bundled it and installed it without asking, therefore BYE BYE firefox – I like firefox much better over Internet Exploder.

I like using Opera browser, it is a very innovative browser, it has had features for years that now both firebox and internet explorer are copying and including in their new browsers.

Features I like from Opera.

Blazing fast browsing, leaves IE explorer and FireFox in the dust.

Multiple tab browsing, a concept they have in their browsers fro years, but Firefox incorporated it in their browser and made it popular.

When closing opera, it will maintain however many tabs open you have had in your last session and you can continue were you left off. If you close the tab, it will be pushed in a trash can where you can go and recycle the link and opened back up again.

On screen search at your finger tips, firefox onscreen search is flawed, especially if you are browsing a page that has forms in it.

Multiple search engines built in off the search bar and you can customize your own.

Simply on the fly translation for web pages that are in other languages

Quick access to popup blocking, java scripts blocking, or debugging, sound blocking – “for the annoying pages play a sound byte as you load them” and many more features.

Quick access to delete browsing history and any other private information.

E-mail client, news client, (stop, pause, restore, continue) of downloads, built in torrent downloader, etc.

You can check a quick tutorial at http://www.opera.com/support/tutorials/

A. Pinzon
SpanishTech - Spanish Translations Austin Texas

[Edited at 2006-09-19 12:51]

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 23:52
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
No problem with GT and Firefox Sep 19, 2006

My CPU runs at 2 % when I do nothing, on a Fujitsu Siemens laptop. I do not use the Toolbar though, instead tagged browsing, where one ore more Google windows are open simultanously.
What Firewall do you use? Hope not Norton?
Regards
Heinrich

PAS
PAS  Identity Verified
Polish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
The obvious thing to do... Sep 19, 2006

I uninstalled the culprit (ver. 4) and went back to the previous version. Spyware or not, the Google toolbar is a very useful thing for me.

So far, everything's fine.

Things like this happen sometimes. There was a problem with the Zone Alarm update some time ago.

Thanks,
Pawel Skalinski

to Heinrich:
I use Zone Alarm. My love affair with things Norton ended in a whimper with Norton Works for Win 98...

[Edited at 2006-09-19 13
... See more
I uninstalled the culprit (ver. 4) and went back to the previous version. Spyware or not, the Google toolbar is a very useful thing for me.

So far, everything's fine.

Things like this happen sometimes. There was a problem with the Zone Alarm update some time ago.

Thanks,
Pawel Skalinski

to Heinrich:
I use Zone Alarm. My love affair with things Norton ended in a whimper with Norton Works for Win 98...

[Edited at 2006-09-19 13:31]
Collapse

bigedsenior
bigedsenior
Local time: 14:52
Spanish to English
+ ...
Cooling problems Sep 19, 2006

PAS wrote:

Brandis:
The only way I can put passive cooling in a laptop is to put it in a plate of water?

Dust reduces the cooling efficiency by clogging up the intake filter and the heat exchanger fins. Both of these can be cleaned, but it may require some minor dissassembly.

Also, the air intake is usually on the bottom where there may not be enough air circulation, either because of desk clutter too close to the unit or too little clearance between the laptop and the desk. If your computer has little foldaway feet that raise the unit, be sure to use them, other wise the unit can be elavated with thin wooden strips (Use wooden pencils for mine).

Ed

PAS
PAS  Identity Verified
Polish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@ bigedsenior Sep 20, 2006

Please note that my problem was not overheating but CPU usage...

I know that an overworked CPU taxes the cooling system, but I never took it as far to have overheating problems.
I am fairly diligent about keeping the innards of my computers clean.

Thanks,
Pawel Skalinski

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

High CPU Usage problem

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »