Kristel Kiesel
Kristel Kiesel  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:03
Italian to English
+ ...
Jul 22, 2006

Hello,

I'm brand new to Proz and to the field of freelance translation. I have to choose shortly between XP Pro and XP Home for my laptop, and I'm wondering if there are clear advantages to having one or the other for the purposes of freelance translating. My laptop has been somewhat finicky since installing XP Pro, and I'm just wondering if it's worth it to keep it. Can someone advise me?

Looking forward to reading your answers,

Kristie

Fernando Toledo
Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 23:03
German to Spanish
If you need Jul 22, 2006

interactivity with a LAN in your workplace, with servers, etc. PRO is the best option, for all people working at home with one or two PCS, Home is OK.

I don't see any other difference

Regards

Lucinda Hollenberg
Lucinda Hollenberg  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:03
Dutch to English
+ ...
I use the Home version Jul 22, 2006

Hi Kristel,

I have the Home version and do everything with it. It works fine. I agree with Fernando that you would probably only need the PRO one if you use LANs and perhaps very extensive graphics, etc.

I bought my laptop and the Home system in the US in August last year and am very pleased with it. Please feel free to write me privately if you need more details. I am not sure that I am allowed to publish these here publicly.

Have a great weekend.
... See more
Hi Kristel,

I have the Home version and do everything with it. It works fine. I agree with Fernando that you would probably only need the PRO one if you use LANs and perhaps very extensive graphics, etc.

I bought my laptop and the Home system in the US in August last year and am very pleased with it. Please feel free to write me privately if you need more details. I am not sure that I am allowed to publish these here publicly.

Have a great weekend.
Lucinda
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Don´t be afraid - Home is sufficient Jul 22, 2006

And if you really need Virtual Private Networt and some other things, you can istall them afterwards.
The biggest and imprtant difference for us is, that Windows Backup is not present in standard installation of Home. But if you need it, it can be easilly installed from Win Home CD.

I have Home on my laptop and can do everything I need with it - even connecting to my LAN at home, using a networking printer and sharing data with a Mac.

Best
Jerzy

Robert Zawadzki (X)
Robert Zawadzki (X)  Identity Verified
English to Polish
+ ...
See http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_home_pro.asp Jul 23, 2006

In short: Jerzy is right. You most probably do not need Pro.

ahmadwadan.com
ahmadwadan.com  Identity Verified
Saudi Arabia
Local time: 00:03
English to Arabic
+ ...
Windows XP Home Edition vs. Professional Edition: What's the difference? Jul 24, 2006

This issue is elaborated via the following link:

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_home_pro.asp

kind regards
Ahmed Wadan

Kristel Kiesel
Kristel Kiesel  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:03
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
What about encryption? Jul 24, 2006

Thank you, everyone, for your comments. XP Pro has been driving me insane. My system just does not handle it as well as it handles XP Home.

Ahmed, that link was very helpful as well. It does mention that the encryption capabilities of XP Pro are different from XP Home, and I was wondering if this has affected any of you as translators. Are you ever required to encrypt your translations?

Thank you again,

Kristie

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

XP Pro vs. XP Home

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »