Thread poster: PFB (X)
PFB (X)
PFB (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:10
English to French
+ ...
Apr 18, 2006

Hi all,

After rebooting my computer, everything works fine, except that when I go to my sent emails (to save them in another folder, etc.), I get this message "OE removed access to the following unsafe attachments in your mail [+ name of attachment]."

My clients have confirmed they've actually received the attachments, so what does this message mean? Is there anything I should do?

I have Windows XP, but I'm afraid I can't be more 'technical' than that, exce
... See more
Hi all,

After rebooting my computer, everything works fine, except that when I go to my sent emails (to save them in another folder, etc.), I get this message "OE removed access to the following unsafe attachments in your mail [+ name of attachment]."

My clients have confirmed they've actually received the attachments, so what does this message mean? Is there anything I should do?

I have Windows XP, but I'm afraid I can't be more 'technical' than that, except to say that afaik my computer is automatically and regularly updated.

Many thanks in advance for your help - and for using simple terms when writing to a seriously IT-challenged person like me

[Edited at 2006-04-18 10:02]
Collapse

Vesna Zivcic
Vesna Zivcic  Identity Verified
German to Croatian
+ ...
A suggestion Apr 18, 2006

In Internet Exporer chose Tools/Options, select Security tab and uncheck "Do not allow attachments to be saved or opened that could potentially be a virus".

BR,

Vesna

Daphne Theodoraki
Daphne Theodoraki  Identity Verified
Sweden
Swedish to Greek
+ ...
Attachments Apr 18, 2006

I'm not sure whether the problem has anything to do with this, but you can check. In Outlook Express, go to:

Tools>Options>Security>Do not allow attachments to be saved or opened that could potentially be a virus.

If the box is checked, perhaps that's why you cannot save the e-mails containing the attachments. Zip files, for example are often included in the "potentially harmful" attachments.
Uncheck the box, and if necessary close Outlook and restart your compute
... See more
I'm not sure whether the problem has anything to do with this, but you can check. In Outlook Express, go to:

Tools>Options>Security>Do not allow attachments to be saved or opened that could potentially be a virus.

If the box is checked, perhaps that's why you cannot save the e-mails containing the attachments. Zip files, for example are often included in the "potentially harmful" attachments.
Uncheck the box, and if necessary close Outlook and restart your computer to see if this solved the problem.

Good luck!
Collapse

Patricia Lane
Patricia Lane  Identity Verified
France
French to English
+ ...
if it is your sent mail... Apr 18, 2006

Philippe,

You said the problem regards attachments in your SENT mail. I suppose then that you have the original files on your computer. Thus, if your concern is keeping proof that you've sent along XYZ file to your client at time T, the email still lists the files you sent, even if you can't access them from Outlook. If you can access the original files just fine and if your client has received them, then I shouldn't worry about it too much.

Do you have any difficu
... See more
Philippe,

You said the problem regards attachments in your SENT mail. I suppose then that you have the original files on your computer. Thus, if your concern is keeping proof that you've sent along XYZ file to your client at time T, the email still lists the files you sent, even if you can't access them from Outlook. If you can access the original files just fine and if your client has received them, then I shouldn't worry about it too much.

Do you have any difficulties with attachment in mails you RECEIVE?

Just to be on the safe side, run your antivirus and then, if all is clear, defragment your hard drives. The odd error messages should disappear IMHO.

Patricia
Collapse

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:10
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Try a different email client Apr 18, 2006

You don't have to rely solely on Outlook Express. I think it's a good thing to have at least one more on your computer and set up ready to go, in case of problems like this.
Personally, I prefer Thunderbird anyway.
Here are addresses from which to download three Unicode-compliant email
... See more
You don't have to rely solely on Outlook Express. I think it's a good thing to have at least one more on your computer and set up ready to go, in case of problems like this.
Personally, I prefer Thunderbird anyway.
Here are addresses from which to download three Unicode-compliant email clients, all free.
Thunderbird - http://www.mozilla.com/thunderbird/
Scribe - http://www.memecode.com/scribe.php
Marlin - http://www.marlin-mail.com/
Collapse

PFB (X)
PFB (X)  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you to all Apr 20, 2006

I've followed Vesna's and Daphne's advice and it worked!

Yes, Jack, you're right - I'll look into that.

Thanks again.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Outlook Express - Unsafe attachments

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »