Thread poster: Sonja Allen
Samir Sami
Samir Sami
Qatar
Local time: 15:37
Arabic to English
+ ...
Heat .. Heat... Something wrong with the processor Feb 7, 2006

I have the feeling that whenever the blue screen or a system failure in XP, then fingers should be pointed at either the antivirus (and this happens at times) and the processor fan.

Please check if the fan is working fine. Remember the last time you cleaned it.

Another reason for that may be running heavy graphics software (3D Max, Photoshop? Together?!)

As mentioned above, never trust Windows nor your HDD. Backup! Backup! Backup!
Cheers

Piotr Bienkowski
Piotr Bienkowski  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 14:37
English to Polish
+ ...
The story sounds familiar to mine Feb 7, 2006

Sonja Allen wrote:

Thank you for all your tips. Unfortunately I have already had a lot of problems with this computer since I bought it in July last year. Mostly because it won't boot when I started it in the morning. (...)

One of my previous PCs sometimes would not boot when I switched it on in the morning, and sometimes would reboot suddenly (sometimes several times a day, sometimes once in two weeks). The vendor was not very helpful either. Then I installed Linux on the other hard disk. On one occasion Linux would not start either, and there was an error message about DMA. As far as I understand, DMA has sth to do with communication between the motherboard and the disks.

So I sold the old PC to a shop that was willing to take it and bought a new one.

I'm afraid that replacing the PC with a new one might be the only option for you. But choose a different vendor this time.

Piotr

Please help me Nov 17, 2009

Hello there everyone!

Natalia said something about checking the events on "my computer" manager.
I did so and...
And I don't know what it all means, as I am an amateur in computer science.

So, could anyone of you chceck my log files and tell me if I should start to worry as I found some errors amid aplication event log and system event log as well?

Please let me know!

With regards,
Marta

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 09:37
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
Another possibility: the hard disk Nov 18, 2009

I had this situation a while ago. No use in delving into the many things I checked.

I finally found the culprit: the hard disk. So I bought a new one, and it solved the problem... for a couple of weeks. So the disk I had bought was defective, I had it replaced undr warranty. But then again, two weeks later, it was failing again.

Then I recalled a program I had used in my PC-XT days: SpinRite. It was version 2 then. At that time, a 40 MB (sic!) hard disk cost USD 400. Th
... See more
I had this situation a while ago. No use in delving into the many things I checked.

I finally found the culprit: the hard disk. So I bought a new one, and it solved the problem... for a couple of weeks. So the disk I had bought was defective, I had it replaced undr warranty. But then again, two weeks later, it was failing again.

Then I recalled a program I had used in my PC-XT days: SpinRite. It was version 2 then. At that time, a 40 MB (sic!) hard disk cost USD 400. That program saved me two hard disks from going to the trash bin.

Now it's version 6, and it did the miracle again! I have three fully functonal hard disks in my computer.

It may be found at http://www.grc.com . Plenty of interesting information, worth watching the two videos with the author explaining it
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Error Message in Windows XP - Computer suddenly turned off and started again

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »