Lia Fail (X)
Lia Fail (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 10:39
Spanish to English
+ ...
Dec 29, 2005

Windows XP - Outlook 6

I am trying to figure how to save my old mails from before 6 months ago, just to clear out my Outlook folders, but I can't see how it's done, although I used to be able to do iton another computer....

I have created a folder and transferred all the old mails into it. How can I save this somewhere and remove it from Outlook?

TIA:-)

Graciela Guzman
Graciela Guzman  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 06:39
English to Spanish
+ ...
Saving e-mails Dec 29, 2005

I have different folders in My documents and save my e-mails there. To read them I open them with Outlook 6.

Maybe there is a better way, but this one works.

Happy New Year!
Graciela

Karin Adamczyk (X)
Karin Adamczyk (X)  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 05:39
French to English
Very simple with Outlook Dec 29, 2005

Lia Fail wrote:

Windows XP - Outlook 6

I am trying to figure how to save my old mails from before 6 months ago, just to clear out my Outlook folders, but I can't see how it's done, although I used to be able to do iton another computer....

I have created a folder and transferred all the old mails into it. How can I save this somewhere and remove it from Outlook?

TIA:-)

There are two methods. One is to archive old messages to an archive .pst file (archive data file). The other is to export to another format (text, Access, Excel, .pst).

Just select the file/folder to archive or export and right click for archive options under Properties, or select File, Export for export options.

HTH,
Karin Adamczyk

PAS
PAS  Identity Verified
Polish to English
+ ...
Outlook? or Outlook Express? Dec 29, 2005

Lia - are you by chance referring to Outlook Express - the program which (sort of) comes with Internet Explorer?

The MS Outlook program, which is part of MS Office does not go by version numbers, but by years (Outlook 2003 being the latest).

Karin is referring to MS Outlook.

Pawel Skalinski

Karin Adamczyk (X)
Karin Adamczyk (X)  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 05:39
French to English
Outlook and Outlook Express are two very different programs Dec 29, 2005

PAS wrote:

Karin is referring to MS Outlook.

Pawel Skalinski

Yes, I was referring to Outlook. If you were referring to Outlook Express, forget the options I mentioned -- OE does not have these functions.

Someone with experience with Outlook Express will have to help you.

Sorry,
Karin

Mihail Mateev
Mihail Mateev
Bulgaria
Local time: 11:39
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
my 2 cents :) Dec 29, 2005

In the age when I had used Outlook Express, I have used this program to back-up the mails:

http://www.oehelp.com/

http://www.oehelp.com/OEBackup/Default.aspx

It is still free...

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 11:39
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
With OE... Dec 30, 2005

You define a new output folder in the Tools menu. When the files are there you can store them on CD-Rom. After that you can delete the older ones from the working folder. But this does not seem to save space.

Christel Zipfel
Christel Zipfel  Identity Verified
Member (2004)
Italian to German
+ ...
It's simple... Dec 30, 2005

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

You define a new output folder in the Tools menu. When the files are there you can store them on CD-Rom. After that you can delete the older ones from the working folder. But this does not seem to save space.

Indeed, it does not save space as the mails are still in their dbx folder on the HD (not in the folder in OE). If you want to delete them from their folder (and save dozens of MB of space), in OE go to file -> folder -> compress (compress all folders). (I have the Italian version of OE.) You can compress without trouble all folders; this doesn't affect the mails you still want to see and keep in OE.

Lia Fail (X)
Lia Fail (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks all:-) Dec 30, 2005

Sorry for the confusion re OL and OL Express:-)

I have compacted teh files, that's probably enough for now:-)

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Outlook 6 - saving old mails

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »