Thread poster: Sonja Tomaskovic (X)
Sonja Tomaskovic (X)
Sonja Tomaskovic (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 03:15
English to German
+ ...
Nov 10, 2005

I am currently in the process of "cleaning" my harddisc from anything that I don't need. I have already removed all software that I don't need and will backup a couple of old project files.

Since I have never done that before on any of my computers, I was wondering if compressing the drive to save space is a safe and risk-free procedure, or if there is anything that I should take care of before starting that procedure.

Is it actually worth doing? How much space can you
... See more
I am currently in the process of "cleaning" my harddisc from anything that I don't need. I have already removed all software that I don't need and will backup a couple of old project files.

Since I have never done that before on any of my computers, I was wondering if compressing the drive to save space is a safe and risk-free procedure, or if there is anything that I should take care of before starting that procedure.

Is it actually worth doing? How much space can you actually save my compressing the harddrive?

Thanks,

Sonja
Collapse

Daniele Martoglio
Daniele Martoglio  Identity Verified
Polish to Italian
+ ...
It's not worth doing Nov 10, 2005

Sonja Tomaskovic wrote:

Is it actually worth doing? How much space can you actually save my compressing the harddrive?

It's not worth doing.

- may be the data use around 1/2 space, but work with hard disk will be SLOWER with compressed data.

- such data as IMAGE and FILM are already compressed, so they use nearly the same space in compressed disk.

- if you computer as a problem, and u have a NON compressed disk, it's possibile take away your hard disk, and put in one other computer, and u have access to your data. with compressed disk problems may appear.

- the price of hard disk is really LOW. here in Poland i can buy 40GB hard disk for 200PLN (50EURO). abroad are surely CHEAPER, or the same. It's really no sens to became crazy with compression, it's better to buy a second hard disk!

Daniele

[Edited at 2005-11-10 14:28]

Sonja Tomaskovic (X)
Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks. Nov 10, 2005

Thanks, Daniele, for your opinion.

Daniele Martoglio wrote:
- the price of hard disk is really LOW. here in Poland i can buy 40GB hard disk for 200PLN (50EURO). abroad are surely CHEAPER, or the same. It's really no sens to became crazy with compression, it's better to buy a second hard disk!

Unfortunately that does not work on a laptop.

I actually don't have a lot of problems with space, I was just wondering if this is a good thing in general. And since I am already there, working on my PC, I might as well just compress it...

Thanks,

Sonja

[Edited at 2005-11-10 15:12]

Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:15
German to English
Try using an external hard drive Nov 10, 2005

I keep only the essentials on the HD of my laptop; everything else is on an external drive which runs faster. I've found acccess time not to be a problem due to the faster speed of the external unit. I have several external HDs, and they're all about the size of a medium-sized book, and don't weigh much more. I don't know how much a 100 GB hard drive would cost in Germany, but I can't imagine that it would not be much more than 100 EUR.

[Edited at 2005-11-10 16:40]

Sonja Tomaskovic (X)
Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Not necessary Nov 10, 2005

Thanks, Kevin, but as I mentioned above, space is not really an issue. I was really wondering if compressing a drive would make any sense at all. No need for anything external or internal to be replaced/added.

Sonja

Fernando Toledo
Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Spain
German to Spanish
Extern HD Nov 10, 2005

Sonja Tomaskovic wrote:

Thanks, Daniele, for your opinion.

Daniele Martoglio wrote:

Unfortunately that does not work on a laptop.

I actually don't have a lot of problems with space, I was just wondering if this is a good thing in general. And since I am already there, working on my PC, I might as well just compress it...

Thanks,

Sonja

[Edited at 2005-11-10 15:12]

In Lidl there is a offer now

300 GB external USB2 for 159 €

...just in case

[Edited at 2005-11-10 18:53]

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Compressing an allready slow HDD will kill down any PC peformance Nov 10, 2005

Please bear in mind, that a HDD in a notebook is not that fast as a desktop HDD. If you then start to compress the data on it you may encounter huge speed problems with your computer.
As soon you start Trados, your PC will turn into the slowest snail.

I wouldn´t do that even if I had space issues.
And you CAN replace the HDD in the notebook, the cost is not that much nowadays. But if you don´t have space problems there is not a single reason to go and compress the data
... See more
Please bear in mind, that a HDD in a notebook is not that fast as a desktop HDD. If you then start to compress the data on it you may encounter huge speed problems with your computer.
As soon you start Trados, your PC will turn into the slowest snail.

I wouldn´t do that even if I had space issues.
And you CAN replace the HDD in the notebook, the cost is not that much nowadays. But if you don´t have space problems there is not a single reason to go and compress the data on your HDD.

Best regards
Jerzy
Collapse

Sonja Tomaskovic (X)
Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
.. Nov 11, 2005

Thanks again for all your help. In fact, I was looking for the one information Jerzy provided - that compressing data would actually do more bad than good.

This really makes it easy for me to keep away from this option. I was really just wondering what it was good for.

And if I ever need to replace my HDD or add a new one, I'll surely keep in mind what all of you suggested.

Thanks,

Sonja...
See more
Thanks again for all your help. In fact, I was looking for the one information Jerzy provided - that compressing data would actually do more bad than good.

This really makes it easy for me to keep away from this option. I was really just wondering what it was good for.

And if I ever need to replace my HDD or add a new one, I'll surely keep in mind what all of you suggested.

Thanks,

Sonja
Collapse

Boris Kimel
Boris Kimel  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 04:15
English to Russian
+ ...
Compression benefits (handle with care) Nov 11, 2005

Jerzy Czopik wrote:
HDD in a notebook is not that fast as a desktop HDD. If you then start to compress the data on it you may encounter huge speed problems with your computer.

It's not that I want to support the idea of using disk compression, but, strictly speaking, there could be even some performance gain with a slow drive. In fact, (much) less (mega)bytes is read from / written to the disk.

Still last time I used volume compression dates somewhere around 10+ years ago. It was a 386 or 486 machine, and everything worked. And the last time I faced the space problem was when my son started playing computer games, the problem has been solved by inserting two more HDDs. With those getting bigger and cheaper all the time the volume compression approach seems to have no future.

tectranslate ITS GmbH
tectranslate ITS GmbH
German
+ ...
Where's the bottleneck? Nov 18, 2005

Boris Kimel wrote:

Jerzy Czopik wrote:
HDD in a notebook is not that fast as a desktop HDD. If you then start to compress the data on it you may encounter huge speed problems with your computer.

It's not that I want to support the idea of using disk compression, but, strictly speaking, there could be even some performance gain with a slow drive. In fact, (much) less (mega)bytes is read from / written to the disk.

That's right - in fact the speed drop or gain depends on where the bottleneck is: If your CPU is fast and your disk is slow, you're likely to get a speed increase due to the reason Boris is quoting. If your CPU is already at "maximum load", compression will slow down your system as the real-time compression and decompression is done in the CPU.

At any rate, here's a caveat for anybody looking into buying an external (USB) harddrive: While Windows NT, Windows 2000 and Windows XP use (or at least offer) the advanced NTFS file system, many (if not all?) USB hard drives can only be formatted as FAT32. The drawback is that drives formatted using FAT32 are much more likely to suffer catastrophic data loss in the event of a computer crash e.g. due to power failure.

Benjamin

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Compress harddrive to save disc space

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »