How can I change the name of author in MS word?
Thread poster: Sanjiv Sadan (X)
Sanjiv Sadan (X)
Sanjiv Sadan (X)
Local time: 17:05
English to Hindi
+ ...
Nov 9, 2005

The vendor has entered a peculiar name while loading various programmes at the time I bought the computer. So, whenever I create a new word file, it shows an odd name of author while I place the pointer on the icon of the file. I want to know the procedure for changing the name of author. I know it is related to some settings. I searched a lot to do it but in vain. I'd appreciate if someone could explain the detailed and step by step procedure of changing the name of author.

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 13:35
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
Hi Sanjiv Nov 9, 2005

I have moved the thread to the Windows operating systems forum, as your question concerns Windows system directly (the name of the document author in Word depends on the information entered during Windows installation).

You did not specify what is your operating system but I assume it is Win XP (if not, please specify).

For WinXP, please take a look at the Microsoft knowledgebase articele in order to make the corresponding changes. As these
... See more
I have moved the thread to the Windows operating systems forum, as your question concerns Windows system directly (the name of the document author in Word depends on the information entered during Windows installation).

You did not specify what is your operating system but I assume it is Win XP (if not, please specify).

For WinXP, please take a look at the Microsoft knowledgebase articele in order to make the corresponding changes. As these changes need editing the registry, please be extremely careful!

The article is here:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=310441

Editing this information will change the information about the author of the document not only in Word, but in other programs, too.

But you may edit the name of the author by entering the appropriate information in the document properties in Word. To do this, while in Word, go to File > Properties > make the appropriate changes > click OK.

HTH,
Natalia

[Edited at 2005-11-09 20:09]
Collapse

Jeff Allen
Jeff Allen  Identity Verified
France
Multiplelanguages
+ ...
changing author's name in MS Word without opening file Nov 9, 2005

Natalie wrote:
But you may edit the name of the author by entering the appropriate information in the document properties in Word. To do this, while in Word, go to File > Properties > make the appropriate changes > click OK.

Also possible to do this without opening Word. Mousing over the filename in Microsoft Explorer indicates the author, title in a pop-up bubble. You can Right-Click on the filename, scroll down to Properties, and then go across to the appropriate tab to change the author name. Depending on which version of MS Word you have, it is slightly different with regard to tabs and fields.
But I've often found that this does not work well by accessing Properties via the filename. To check it, mouse over the file after committing/saving the seting. If the author's name has changed, then you are OK.

Jeff

Hynek Palatin
Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2003)
English to Czech
+ ...
User information Nov 9, 2005

You can change the name by going to Tools - Options - User Information. (You didn't specify your Word version; this works for Word 2000.)

RaffaellaG
RaffaellaG  Identity Verified
Italy
Chinese to Italian
+ ...
for Word only is easy Nov 9, 2005

Hi Sanjiv,
to change the name of the author in Word you open the program, go to Tools - Options - User info (this is my translation from italian Word), change it there, and that's all.

Raffaella

Angus Woo
Angus Woo
Local time: 19:35
Chinese to English
+ ...
This is it. Nov 11, 2005

RaffaellaG wrote:

Hi Sanjiv,
to change the name of the author in Word you open the program, go to Tools - Options - User info (this is my translation from italian Word), change it there, and that's all.

Raffaella

But it affects Word only. The user name of Excel, power point... will still be the same (unchanged).

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How can I change the name of author in MS word?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »