Thread poster: Sonja Tomaskovic (X)
Sonja Tomaskovic (X)
Sonja Tomaskovic (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 18:25
English to German
+ ...
Nov 9, 2005

I was wondering if somebody knows how to lock the keyboard on WinXP.

My 2-year-old son loves to play with my computer, and when I get distracted or need to leave my desk for a minute, he usually climbs the chair and does funny things on my PC.

I've already managed to lock the screen, but I was wondering if there is a better way to protect my work from his fingers.

Thanks,

Sonja... See more
I was wondering if somebody knows how to lock the keyboard on WinXP.

My 2-year-old son loves to play with my computer, and when I get distracted or need to leave my desk for a minute, he usually climbs the chair and does funny things on my PC.

I've already managed to lock the screen, but I was wondering if there is a better way to protect my work from his fingers.

Thanks,

Sonja
Collapse

Jo Macdonald
Jo Macdonald  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
Italian to English
+ ...
Display desktop Nov 9, 2005

Hi Sonja,
I click on the Desktop button to reduce anything open so there is no input from the mouse or keyboard to any docs.
Works with cats anyway.

gianfranco
gianfranco  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 14:25
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
Screensaver with password Nov 9, 2005

Sonja Tomaskovic wrote:

You could install a screensaver (make sure you start it when leaving the desk, don't wait for it to start automatically after 2-3-5 minutes) and set a password to resume the operative desktop.

Most screensavers have this feature as it is commonly used in office environment, by employees who want to secure their desk when leaving for short periods (meetings, lunch breaks, etc.)

bye
Gianfranco

[Edited at 2005-11-09 15:17]

PAS
PAS  Identity Verified
Polish to English
+ ...
Set a password-protected screensaver Nov 9, 2005

A Q&D solution which comes to mind...

Set a reasonably short time for the screensaver to start (2-3 min.), unless your son is faster...

HTH
Pawel Skalinski

P.S. Ahh - Gianfranco - we were typing at the same time!

P.A.S.

[Edited at 2005-11-09 12:55]

Sonja Tomaskovic (X)
Sonja Tomaskovic (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks. Nov 9, 2005

Thanks, Gianfranco and Pawel.

I hadn't thought about this since I haven't been using any screensavers for some time now.

I'll give it a try.

Thanks,

Sonja

tyrion
tyrion
Local time: 01:25
English to Chinese
Windows Key + L will do the job... Nov 17, 2006

Actually, you can press Windows Key (the one between Ctrl and Alt) and "L" key. It is similar to "scree saver" method mentioned above, but you don't have to wait.

Nam Tran Hoai
Nam Tran Hoai
Local time: 00:25
Vietnamese to English
+ ...
Screen Saver sart at once ! Oct 24, 2007

You use Screen Saver as mentioned above, then make a shortcut to current Screen Saver on desktop.
When going out, just double clicke on the shortcut and your Screen Saver run at once, no need to wait any time!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Lock keyboard/mouse on WinXP

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »