Elizabeth Adams
Elizabeth Adams  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:17
Member (2002)
Russian to English
Nov 1, 2005

Hi,
Does anyone know how to uninstall a codec? I suspect that the MJPEG codec is interfering with a subtitling program I use. I found the driver file using GSpot and tried to throw it away, but the system just regenerates it.

I'm sure there is a simple way to get rid of this codec - can anyone help me?

Thanks in advance,
Elizabeth

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 01:17
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
Hi Liz Nov 1, 2005

Right-click on the My computer icon > manage(not sure if it is called so as I have Polish Windows) > device manager > audio-video and game controllers

Here you should find the codec(s) which interfer(s) with your software, click 'properties' > delete >OK

Elizabeth Adams
Elizabeth Adams  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:17
Member (2002)
Russian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, Natalie, but it's more complicated than that. Nov 1, 2005

The "official" list that I get by doing what you recommend does not show the MJPEG codec! I only found it by using the GSpot program, which is just a tiny program for finding codecs (as far as I can tell). It gave me a list of my video codecs and told me the name of the driver files for all of them.

The driver file is called quartz.dll, and that is what I can't seem to throw away, no matter how "hard" I try.
E

Daniel Todorovski
Daniel Todorovski
North Macedonia
Macedonian to English
+ ...
Try this: Nov 2, 2005

http://www.softella.com/dsfm/index.en.htm

Fernando Toledo
Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Spain
German to Spanish
I do not think a video codec can makes any trouble Nov 2, 2005

Elizabeth Adams wrote:

GSpot program, which is just a tiny program for finding codecs (as far as I can tell)

GSpot analyse your video file and tell you if you have installed all the codecs needed and tell you which one is still missing and where to find it

The driver file is called quartz.dll, and that is what I can't seem to throw away, no matter how "hard" I try.
E

A codec is not a driver, you do not need it to run a application it is only a kind of "translator" that allow you to see a determinate format
If you want to delete this quartz.dll, well search for it and delete it -> Star/run/regedit.exe
Or... maybe Gspot is telling you that YOU DO NOT HAVE Quartz.dll?

Regards

Toledo

[Edited at 2005-11-02 09:16]

[Edited at 2005-11-02 09:20]

tectranslate ITS GmbH
tectranslate ITS GmbH
German
+ ...
Careful now Nov 18, 2005

Quartz.dll is not the MJPEG codec. It's an integral part of pretty much all Windows video file decompression, which is why the Windows System File Protection (SFP) fortunately regenerates the file from its driver cache whenever you delete it.

When you find out which one of the codec files actually pertains to MJPEG decoding only, you can use the command line
... See more
Quartz.dll is not the MJPEG codec. It's an integral part of pretty much all Windows video file decompression, which is why the Windows System File Protection (SFP) fortunately regenerates the file from its driver cache whenever you delete it.

When you find out which one of the codec files actually pertains to MJPEG decoding only, you can use the command line
regsvr32 /u "C:\Windows\System32\rrMjpeg.ax" (or whatever path and filename applies for you) to unregister the MJPEG codec. Be sure to write the path to the codec file in quotation marks if your path contains empty spaces.

HTH,
Benjamin
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How can I uninstall a codec?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »