Windows XP Professional or Home Edition?
Thread poster: Alpár-László Krecht
Alpár-László Krecht
Alpár-László Krecht  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:37
German to Hungarian
+ ...
Aug 31, 2005

Hello,

I'm thinking about to buy a new PC and i don't know wich operating sistem is better for me. I will use as a freelance translator with Trados Freelance 6.5 (maybee lather whit 7.0). Transit, Worfast and OmegaT.
More: Wich Ms Office is better for a translator: Xp or XP Professional (with Acces)?
Is there any conflict between OpenOffice and Ms Office?
Best,

Alpár

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 18:37
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Win XP Pro Aug 31, 2005

Alpár-László Krecht wrote:

Hello,

I'm thinking about to buy a new PC and i don't know wich operating sistem is better for me. I will use as a freelance translator with Trados Freelance 6.5 (maybee lather whit 7.0). Transit, Worfast and OmegaT.

If you don´t plan extended networking, then Win XP Home will be more than sufficient. Nevertheless, if you buy a PC, this will be most probably shipped with WinXP Pro.
Regardles which version you buy, be sure, that all service packs and patches are installed. Trados Freelance works fine with both Win XP Pro and Home, I have tested both Trados 6.5 and 7.

More: Wich Ms Office is better for a translator: Xp or XP Professional (with Acces)?
Is there any conflict between OpenOffice and Ms Office?

I´m using Office Pro with Access, as it can be sometimes of some use. The price difference for SB (System Builder) software is not that big, so I would advice you to go for Office Profesional, but not XP, but the latest Office 2003, at least if you plan to use Trados 7. Otherwise go for XP, but this is not much cheaper than 2003, but older...

Regards
Jerzy

Alpár-László Krecht
German to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Acces and Trados Aug 31, 2005

Thanks, Jerzy!

One more question:
I understand, that the Trados can use some parts of Acces. Is that right?
Havin Acces make Trados working better?

Alpár

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Never knew abou that... Aug 31, 2005

I meant I was using Acces for jobs, which required Acces, and they were very rare in the past.

That Trados would use Acces is new to me.
But this should be mentioned in the requirements list for Trados, so please refer to them.

Regards
Jerzy

Alpár-László Krecht
German to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Tanks again, Aug 31, 2005

Best regards

Alpár

Zoltán Medgyesi
Zoltán Medgyesi
Hungary
English to Hungarian
Comparison of Windows XP Home and Pro features Sep 2, 2005

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/howtobuy/choosing2.mspx

See the web page above for the comparison of two versions. Features that Win XP Home lacks, are typically used in corporate environment.

(If you use a notebook, and you want to encrypt your documents, maybe you'll need Encrypting File System feature from Pro, but also you can find thir
... See more
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/howtobuy/choosing2.mspx

See the web page above for the comparison of two versions. Features that Win XP Home lacks, are typically used in corporate environment.

(If you use a notebook, and you want to encrypt your documents, maybe you'll need Encrypting File System feature from Pro, but also you can find third-party solutions to that.)
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Windows XP Professional or Home Edition?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »