rescue discs in windows XP
Thread poster: Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
Local time: 09:52
English to German
+ ...
Jun 25, 2005

Hi! I used to know a method of recueing the XP using rescue discs, but now I do not seem to be able to find it. It is actually for the system recovery just in case it collapses. Does any one know where to find it. Shall be much obliged. Thank you in adv. Rgds Brandis

Prisma
Prisma
English to Swedish
+ ...
Windows XP Jun 25, 2005

Boot up the PC from the XP installation cd, you will be given the option to repair, as well as re-install.
You can install this functionality to the hard disc of a functional XP system, by running the winnt32 set-up from the installation cd and installing the "recovery console", I think.
Other less drastic recovery options (safe mode, last name good, etc) are available by pressing F8 at boot time.

Hope this will help you Brandis.

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you but this different than what I am seeking Jun 25, 2005

Prisma wrote:

Boot up the PC from the XP installation cd, you will be given the option to repair, as well as re-install.
You can install this functionality to the hard disc of a functional XP system, by running the winnt32 set-up from the installation cd and installing the "recovery console", I think.
Other less drastic recovery options (safe mode, last name good, etc) are available by pressing F8 at boot time.

Hope this will help you Brandis.
Hi! first of all tack så mycket! I am aware of your solution. But what I am seeking is an option to generate bootable discs which serve system recovery aswell. This solution was available in Windows XP and I cannot find it XPSP2 edition. BTW at the level of systgem recovery you are talking about there is a recovery option using discs. Now how to generate those discs is my problem.Brandis

Prisma
Prisma
English to Swedish
+ ...
Generate the bootdisk set for XP Jun 25, 2005

hmm... I believe you mean one of three things,

1. Since the days of NT there had always been the possibilty of generating the startup floppy disks (WINNT /OX, see http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;131735). I'm pretty sure this is no longer supported with XP, since you just boot from the CD.

2. You can boot XP from a floppy. F
... See more

1. Since the days of NT there had always been the possibilty of generating the startup floppy disks (WINNT /OX, see http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;131735). I'm pretty sure this is no longer supported with XP, since you just boot from the CD.

2. You can boot XP from a floppy. Format a floppy on an NT (NT4, 2000, XP or 2003) system. Copy these 3 files from the root of your system drive:
- NTLDR
- NTDETECT.COM
- BOOT.INI
and NTBOOTDD.SYS only if you've got one. Your PC will boot from the floppy to the windows version on the harddrive that's mentioned in BOOT.INI.

3. Create an Emergency Repair Disk. This is a non-bootable backup of the registry (if it will fit, which it probably won't), plus key boot files. It is created using Windows' backup program. It used to be RDISK /S, but this doesn't work anymore. Run NTBACKUP and choose Emergency Repair Disk. Good idea to choose "Also backup registry to the repair directory...", even if you never create the actual floppy disk, because then you've got an accessible copy of the registry that wouldn't fit on the floppy.

//hope you don't need any of this : P
Collapse

Uldis Liepkalns
Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 10:52
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
To reinstall all system Jun 25, 2005

and all programs takes much time. I can advise to make a copy of disk C on another HDD, say G, using Northon Ghost or like (I use Acronis Migrate Easy). About 40 Gb disk should suffice and it is not very expensive. (Keep backup disk in your drawer, not computer, because the time my FAT went, if went simultaneously on all HDDs in my computer.)
Then in case your system crashes, just replace disk C with the one from your drawer- G. After booting from G again copy contents to C (I use separa
... See more
and all programs takes much time. I can advise to make a copy of disk C on another HDD, say G, using Northon Ghost or like (I use Acronis Migrate Easy). About 40 Gb disk should suffice and it is not very expensive. (Keep backup disk in your drawer, not computer, because the time my FAT went, if went simultaneously on all HDDs in my computer.)
Then in case your system crashes, just replace disk C with the one from your drawer- G. After booting from G again copy contents to C (I use separate disks for system and data) and put either C or G in your drawer for further emergencies. Thus way to restore computer to fully working order takes just umpteen minutes (changing disks, restarting the computer). System backup on another HDD with Acronis takes about 20 minutes. Of course, also contents of data disk can be backuped this way, but I find other solutions more handy (I-Omega automatic backup to external HDD, set to hourly and like).

Uldis

[Edited at 2005-06-25 18:07]
Collapse

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
The 3rd option may be right Jun 25, 2005

Prisma wrote:

2. You can boot XP from a floppy. Format a floppy on an NT (NT4, 2000, XP or 2003) system. Copy these 3 files from the root of your system drive:
- NTLDR
- NTDETECT.COM
- BOOT.INI
and NTBOOTDD.SYS only if you've got one. Your PC will boot from the floppy to the windows version on the harddrive that's mentioned in BOOT.INI.

3. Create an Emergency Repair Disk. This is a non-bootable backup of the registry (if it will fit, which it probably won't), plus key boot files. It is created using Windows' backup program. It used to be RDISK /S, but this doesn't work anymore. Run NTBACKUP and choose Emergency Repair Disk. Good idea to choose "Also backup registry to the repair directory...", even if you never create the actual floppy disk, because then you've got an accessible copy of the registry that wouldn't fit on the floppy.

//hope you don't need any of this : P
Hi! Let me explain the situation. Sometimes my comp gets out, it is not a crash, the display says NTLDR is missing. Now when I try to reinstall the OS I get the option to repair using a backup or bootable disk and fill the gap of missing NTLDR file using the Administrators logon or panel. Now I could do this in windows XP till sometime back when it was not XPSP2 edition. May be this option is lacking. Actually copying the missing NTLDR to the OS (with all the SW threads, as NTLDR serves the driving engine of the OS) takes about a minute or two (using that bootable disk with the NTLDR file,one could make two such discs)instead of taking a full backup or reinstalling everything (means without the prior backup all registry settings, cookies etc., will be lost)I guess I am looking for that solution and not able to find it. May be it is simply no more available.Best Regards and thank you,Brandis

Uldis Liepkalns
Latvia
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
I see, we are talking about different situations Jun 25, 2005

In what you describe in XP: Programs-Accessories-System Tools-Restore should do it. You also can use Roxio GoBack- very useful sometimes, restores your computer *EXACTLY* back to the state at your selected time (but be careful to backup your data created after the time you had chosen to go back to- as your translations and *all* other data (e.g., received and sent emails) also will be reverted to the state they were back then.

Brandis wrote:
Hi! Let me explain the situation. Sometimes my comp gets out, it is not a crash, the display says NTLDR is missing. Now when I try to reinstall the OS I get the option to repair using a backup or bootable disk and fill the gap of missing NTLDR file using the Administrators logon or panel. Now I could do this in windows XP till sometime back when it was not XPSP2 edition. May be this option is lacking. Actually copying the missing NTLDR to the OS (with all the SW threads, as NTLDR serves the driving engine of the OS) takes about a minute or two (using that bootable disk with the NTLDR file,one could make two such discs)

Can not tell you much about booting diskettes, have not used them since Win '98 and even back then, when needed, they usually were placed in some *VERY* safe place (never could find them)

instead of taking a full backup or reinstalling everything (means without the prior backup all registry settings, cookies etc., will be lost)I guess I am looking for that solution and not able to find it. May be it is simply no more available.

Actually, if you do not install new programs every week, System backup on external HDD every 2-3 months does it nicely. As to cookies, maybe not all, but most of them are located in C:/Documents and Settings, so you may backup this folder only more often.

Uldis

Ooops, just checked, on my non-primary computer the Documents and Settings folder is about 10 Gb (folder "My Documents" excluded).

U.

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
What is Roxio Goback Jun 25, 2005

Hello Uldis, WinXP former edition used to come with 4 booting discs option which is not there in XPSP2. One could generate the formal OS without NTLDR using either those discs or system recovery discs agian another 2 of them, and these did not contain( as they are not backup discs) cookies, favorites etc., For regular backup I use Novsstore, which takes double layered DVD discs upto 8.5 GB per disc mountable. This backup type is a typical industrial backup and I do not use it for system recovery... See more
Hello Uldis, WinXP former edition used to come with 4 booting discs option which is not there in XPSP2. One could generate the formal OS without NTLDR using either those discs or system recovery discs agian another 2 of them, and these did not contain( as they are not backup discs) cookies, favorites etc., For regular backup I use Novsstore, which takes double layered DVD discs upto 8.5 GB per disc mountable. This backup type is a typical industrial backup and I do not use it for system recovery, data only.Rgds, BrandisCollapse

Uldis Liepkalns
Latvia
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
Roxio GoBack Jun 26, 2005

Review:
http://www.activewin.com/reviews/software/utils/roxio/goback/features.shtml
There the version 2.2 is reviewed, current is 4.0 and I have 3.0, but basically functions are the same.

The product:
http://www.goback.com/

Uldis
<
... See more
Review:
http://www.activewin.com/reviews/software/utils/roxio/goback/features.shtml
There the version 2.2 is reviewed, current is 4.0 and I have 3.0, but basically functions are the same.

The product:
http://www.goback.com/

Uldis

PS. Seems Symantec has bought it since, as now it's called Norton GoBack.

[Edited at 2005-06-26 10:44]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

rescue discs in windows XP

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »