Laure Delpech
Laure Delpech  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 15:25
Member (2004)
English to French
Jun 17, 2005

Hi,

How do you type ascii codes when you use a laptop and therefore do not have a number pad?

I need to type the ascii code Alt+0171 using a laptop. I have tried to press Alt+Fn+0171, but I am getting a totally different action.

Any ideas welcomed.
Thank you,
Laure

Aisha Maniar
Aisha Maniar  Identity Verified
Arabic to English
+ ...
Num lock Jun 17, 2005

I can't speak for all makes of laptops but on my Sony Vaio, numeric lock needs to be enabled for the ascii codes to be entered on the numeric keypad, which are otherwise just normal letters on the keyboard.
Does that help at all?
Aisha

p.s. the numbers are sometimes written on the side of the key or in small near the letters, usually on the right side of the keyboard.

[Edited at 2005-06-17 11:53]

[Edited at 2005-06-17 11:57]

Laure Delpech
Laure Delpech  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 15:25
Member (2004)
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Brilliant! Jun 17, 2005

Aisha Maniar wrote:
numerical lock needs to be enabled for the ascii codes to be entered on the numeric keypad

I pressed number lock (Verr Num on my French keyboard), then typed Alt+Fn+0171 and got the character I wanted: «

Thank you very much for your help Aisha,
Laure

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Ascii codes on a laptop

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »