Thread poster: Elena Bellucci
Elena Bellucci
Elena Bellucci
Local time: 00:04
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
Mar 6, 2005

Hi. I don't know how I managed to do it but my application bar refuses to show icons/buttons for the open windows. I have tried to change the settings from the control panel but with no results. The PC seems to work properly for the rest.
Any Idea?
I'm on a Win XP home with SP2.

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
Hi Elena Mar 6, 2005

What do you mean by the "application bar"? Do you mean the task bar at the bottom of your screen?

[Edited at 2005-03-06 18:51]

Elena Bellucci
Elena Bellucci
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hi Natalie Mar 6, 2005

Natalie wrote:

What do you mean by the "application bar"? Do you mean the task bar at the bottom of your screen?

[Edited at 2005-03-06 18:51]

Yes exactly.
No metter how many windows or programmes I open or minimise, the bar remains empty where there should be the buttons for the pages I open in IE or for the word/excel docs, for instance. The rest of the bar (quick launch, start, clock, etc) is in place. I cannot figure out where to go to restore the missing items.

I tried changing the settings but

a) if I remove the quick launch bar, the whole taskbar vanishes
b) I tried to block the bar and well...it stays there but again with no signs of the relevant buttons for the windows that I have on screen.
c) grouping or ungrouping icons makes no difference

The problem only affects one "user" (administrator) while the interface for a guest user and a second administrator I creatred are working properly.

The laptop has no other visible problem, though maybe it slowed down...but this could be just my impression.

I usually work with several windows open and find this problem rather annoying. Any suggestion is more than welcome ^_^

[Edited at 2005-03-06 23:41]

EugeneXP
EugeneXP
Russian to English
+ ...
Use ALT+TAB Mar 7, 2005

I cannot figure out where to go to restore the missing items.

You can bypass the problem by pressing and holding an ALT button and selecting the window you need with consequtive TAB presses. (May also use SHIFT+TAB for reverse sequence)

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
- Mar 7, 2005

Elena, do you have the TextBridge Instant Access OCR program installed on your computer? If yes, please take a look at this article in the Microsoft Knowledge base, maybe it will resolve your problem:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;139727

Elena Bellucci
Elena Bellucci
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
My solution Mar 9, 2005

Thanks to everybody for the suggestions. After trying to restore the bar the simple way via the settings menu, with no success whatsoever, I devised my own way-out.
I'm not sure this is the simplest way to solve the problem but it seems to work. ^__^;;;
I write it here just in case...

Since the lack of icons on the taskbar was affecting only one of my user profiles I creatred a new user with administrator rights, copied all outlook/bookmarks folders from the old to th
... See more
Thanks to everybody for the suggestions. After trying to restore the bar the simple way via the settings menu, with no success whatsoever, I devised my own way-out.
I'm not sure this is the simplest way to solve the problem but it seems to work. ^__^;;;
I write it here just in case...

Since the lack of icons on the taskbar was affecting only one of my user profiles I creatred a new user with administrator rights, copied all outlook/bookmarks folders from the old to the new user specific location and then deleted the corrupted user profile.

In my case the procedure was relatively safe, all my important files are on a D partition, so any change to C:/ folders won't affect them and copying a outlook.pst and bookmarks was simple enough.

I'm still wondering what caused the loss of a section of explorer taskbar.

Elena

[Edited at 2005-03-09 10:10]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

winXP- no more icons for open windows

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »