How to convert a table in a .doc file into text?
Thread poster: Estefanía González
Estefanía González
Estefanía González  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:53
English to Spanish
+ ...
Feb 23, 2005

Hi!

I have to translate a .doc file in which the text appears in a table, since I am using Wordfast, I am having some difficulties in translating from the table. Thus, I have to convert the table into text.

Can anyone show me the light?

Thanks!

Estefanía

Silvy Codde (X)
Silvy Codde (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:53
English to Flemish
+ ...
table > convert Feb 23, 2005

Hi Estefania,

You simply select the table, choose Table from the top menu, then Convert > Table to Text.

That should do it.

Kind regards,
Silvy.

Mihail Mateev
Mihail Mateev
Bulgaria
Local time: 01:53
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
one of the ways Feb 23, 2005

General explanation how to convert Table to Text:

1)Mark the whole table.

2) From upper menu select Table > Convert > Table to Text

3) form the pop-up, which appear here, select the way to separate the text from each box of the table. If you do not need anything special, select "Other" and enter a space symbol: " " (without " marks).

I hope this will help you.

Specific way to translate tables with Wordfast is unknown to me. I alwa
... See more
General explanation how to convert Table to Text:

1)Mark the whole table.

2) From upper menu select Table > Convert > Table to Text

3) form the pop-up, which appear here, select the way to separate the text from each box of the table. If you do not need anything special, select "Other" and enter a space symbol: " " (without " marks).

I hope this will help you.

Specific way to translate tables with Wordfast is unknown to me. I always tell mysefl that I have to ask Yves how to do this, but I did not have a time to do this. As long as I read the manual, there is nothing about this matter. If someone have a solution how totranslate text in tables without prior conversation Table2Text, I will be curios to know.

Best regards,

Misho
Collapse

Graciela Carlyle
Graciela Carlyle  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Spanish
+ ...
Word help Feb 23, 2005

Hi Estefanía,

You've got help to convert tables to text already but here's a very useful link for Word help: http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/index.htm

Regards,
Grace.

ps. here's another http://www.word-answers.com/
btw, Misho, the way to translate tables in word with W
... See more
Hi Estefanía,

You've got help to convert tables to text already but here's a very useful link for Word help: http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/index.htm

Regards,
Grace.

ps. here's another http://www.word-answers.com/
btw, Misho, the way to translate tables in word with WF is the same as with normal text. I do it quite often and as long as the table is fine and not corrupted, WF jumps from one segment to the next translatable one no problems.

[Edited at 2005-02-23 15:43]
Collapse

Bruno Magne
Bruno Magne  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:53
English to French
+ ...
I agree with Graciela... Feb 23, 2005

but I believe that Word has an excellent Help support embedded in it. It's exactly the same as the paperback Instruction Manuel.

If you are in Word, just open the Help menu and type in what you want help for.

In your case, Esteafanía, type in "convert table into text" and just follow the (very complete, provided that one reads them slowly) instructions that appear on your screen.

There is not one single topic that Word Help does not cover.

Est
... See more
but I believe that Word has an excellent Help support embedded in it. It's exactly the same as the paperback Instruction Manuel.

If you are in Word, just open the Help menu and type in what you want help for.

In your case, Esteafanía, type in "convert table into text" and just follow the (very complete, provided that one reads them slowly) instructions that appear on your screen.

There is not one single topic that Word Help does not cover.

Estefania, WordFast does not crash. Word does, probably because of WF but in very few instances.

Best of luck

Bruno Magne
Porto Alegre
Collapse

Estefanía González
Estefanía González  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Feb 24, 2005

Hi everyone!

Once I converted the tables I was able to translate the file painlessly.

Thousand thanks everybody for your help!

Estefanía

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to convert a table in a .doc file into text?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »