Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 02:38
Danish to English
+ ...
The reasons Sep 12, 2015

neilmac wrote:

They do seem very keen to get everyone to upgrade to W10 though, and it makes me wonder what the reasons are, especially as I prefer working with W7 and hope to be able to continue to do so for at least a few years...

I think the reason is that they think they can improve their miserable market share of 3 % for Windows Phone to something decent: http://www.ubergizmo.com/2015/06/windows-phone-market-share-in-the-u-s-drops-significantly/ . As Windows 8 was a disaster, they're trying another version of Windows bent to be usable on smartphones.

In the process, they've managed to demolish Windows partially for desktop users, and they don't seem to care much about that market segment any more, so where does that leave professional users?

When you want the same product to be usable for very different environments, you have to compromise, and that means making Windows less suitable for desktops. Imagine trying to combine a Porsche and a container lorry into one vehicle. Neither the lorry driver nor the car driver would be happy.

Once you're on Windows 10, you can no longer decide which updates get installed and when, so they'll have total control over the world's Windows machines.

There are some annoying bugs in Windows 7 that sometimes block the user from moving or deleting his own files, and I don't know if they've been fixed in Windows 10. But why don't they fix them in Windows 7?

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)
Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 08:38
English to Thai
+ ...
Microsoft marketing policy? Sep 13, 2015

Thomas T. Frost wrote:

In the process, they've managed to demolish Windows partially for desktop users, and they don't seem to care much about that market segment any more, so where does that leave professional users?

When you want the same product to be usable for very different environments, you have to compromise, and that means making Windows less suitable for desktops. Imagine trying to combine a Porsche and a container lorry into one vehicle. Neither the lorry driver nor the car driver would be happy.

There are some annoying bugs in Windows 7 that sometimes block the user from moving or deleting his own files, and I don't know if they've been fixed in Windows 10. But why don't they fix them in Windows 7?

In another instance, when Microsoft merged Hotmail, MS deleted my Hotmail drive and related issued without any warning [by saying that it is already clear in Terms of Use]. Then I perceive that MS marketing policy is aiming at its own discretion of judgment and its main benefits.

Soonthon L.

Daryo
Daryo
United Kingdom
Serbian to English
+ ...
So if everyone is doing it, then it's alight? Sep 13, 2015

Thomas T. Frost wrote:

Most online services you use collect more or less data. Microsoft is not a unique case. It's a question of choice how much function you want, and for which 'price' in terms of data collection.

So if everyone is doing it, then it's alight?

the fact that they insist on the right to collect ways more information than what is needed for the functionality they won't you offer otherwise is OK because everyone is doing it?

The fact they insist on ramming on you software that will needlessly take out of your computer tons of information that have no need to leave your computer to be useful TO YOU, that's OK because everyone else is also doing it?

Window 10? Thank you very much, time to learn LINUX

Christel Zipfel
Christel Zipfel  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:38
Member (2004)
Italian to German
+ ...
So MS has confirmed its behaviour Sep 13, 2015

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/2425381/microsoft-is-downloading-windows-10-to-your-machine-just-in-case

Whether you agree or not or deny the download, it's just the same...

Neirda
Neirda  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 09:38
Chinese to French
+ ...
Commit to better stuff Sep 14, 2015

Okay, I don't want to be the moralist here and I'm not necessarily talking about people in this thread, but frankly, I see desktop folks bitching about Microsoft everywhere, telling what they should/could do. Now exactly what incentive do they have to budge when they see their enslaved user base holding on to them so tight they wouldn't even consider looking at any other alternative.

Yeah, Windows 8 sucked, 10 doesn't even bother hiding it's a comprehensive spyware/keylogger and pe
... See more
Okay, I don't want to be the moralist here and I'm not necessarily talking about people in this thread, but frankly, I see desktop folks bitching about Microsoft everywhere, telling what they should/could do. Now exactly what incentive do they have to budge when they see their enslaved user base holding on to them so tight they wouldn't even consider looking at any other alternative.

Yeah, Windows 8 sucked, 10 doesn't even bother hiding it's a comprehensive spyware/keylogger and people keep biiiiitching.
Yeah, but as long as they keep it on their system, Microsoft could give a shit.

Alternatives exist, are often simpler, faster and healthier, but they require taking the red pill. Or blue I can't remember which it was.
Collapse

Philippe Etienne
Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
English to French
Yuk Sep 15, 2015

Pierret Adrien wrote:
Yeah, Windows 8 ***, 10 doesn't even bother hiding it's a comprehensive spyware/keylogger and people keep ***.
Yeah, but as long as they keep it on their system, Microsoft could give a ***.

I am sure you know other terms to convey your ideas. It looks like rap lyrics and I find it horrible.

Philippe

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Language Sep 15, 2015

yes- like, some people learn, like, their English from, like, questionable teachers

[Edited at 2015-09-15 08:57 GMT]

Neirda
Neirda  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 09:38
Chinese to French
+ ...
Zhuangzi Sep 15, 2015

Once upon a time, before Confucius ruined everything, China had amazing philosophers, one of whom said:
"Words exist because of meaning. Once you've gotten the meaning, you can forget the words."

[Edited at 2015-09-15 10:06 GMT]

[Edited at 2015-09-15 10:07 GMT]

lidija68
lidija68  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to Serbian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
from unwanted download to “accidental” installation Oct 17, 2015

It seems things are getting "better" – from unwanted download to “accidental” installation.
I’d like to thank Christel and Natalie again for their advice to disable automatic updates.

For those who can read Italian:
... See more
It seems things are getting "better" – from unwanted download to “accidental” installation.
I’d like to thank Christel and Natalie again for their advice to disable automatic updates.

For those who can read Italian:
Windows 10, upgrade per sbaglio
http://punto-informatico.it/4277370/PI/News/windows-10-upgrade-sbaglio.aspx

Or in English:
Microsoft 'Accident' Forces Windows 10 Onto Windows 7, Windows 8

http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2015/10/16/microsoft-accident-forces-windows-10-onto-windows-7-windows-8/?utm_campaign=yahootix&partner=yahootix&ref=yfp

[Modificato alle 2015-10-17 16:00 GMT]
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

windows 10 unwanted download

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »