https://www.proz.com/forum/windows_operating_systems/290680-what_is_a_%22technical_guy%22-page5.html&phpv_redirected=1

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6] >
Off topic: What is a "technical guy"?
Thread poster: Tom in London
TechStyle
TechStyle  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:03
Office for Mac Sep 5, 2015

Charlie Bavington wrote:

I've gone with Windows & Microsoft products because most of my work comes in the form of Word, Excel and Powerpoint as used by many (most?) bog standard commercial/office bods the world over, and I used them myself when I was one such bod. I know you can emulate Windows and get open source software to replicate Office in most respects, but I'm a strong believer in not frigging around with computers too much and keeping things simple. Is this why you're thinking of switching?

You can also get Microsoft Office on the Mac from Microsoft just as easily as on Windows - no need for any emulation or other software. Last time I had a major project with Word documents from dozens of different sources, I found the Mac version actually handled all the various versions slightly better than on Windows (Microsoft deliberately disabled opening some older file formats on Windows for security reasons, as I recall, but those issues didn't apply to the Mac version).

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 12:03
Spanish to English
+ ...
And under the bridge lurked... Sep 6, 2015

... a fearsome troll who eats anyone who passes that way.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three_Billy_Goats_Gruff

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Decision Sep 12, 2015

OK this has finally decided me:

http://www.proz.com/forum/windows_operating_systems/291223-windows_10_unwanted_download.html

That, plus the absence of any coherent explanation in this thread of why a "technical guy" is necessary, or of what he actually does, has convinced me that if I really want to know what Windows is
... See more
OK this has finally decided me:

http://www.proz.com/forum/windows_operating_systems/291223-windows_10_unwanted_download.html

That, plus the absence of any coherent explanation in this thread of why a "technical guy" is necessary, or of what he actually does, has convinced me that if I really want to know what Windows is like I should use VB or Parallels on my Mac, and install it there. That way, if I don't like it, I can just reformat my hard drive and get rid of the whole thing

[Edited at 2015-09-12 09:24 GMT]
Collapse

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: Previous post removed
Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
Local time: 17:03
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Don't Sep 12, 2015

Tom in London wrote:
...if I really want to know what Windows is like I should use VB or Parallels on my Mac, and install it there. That way, if I don't like it, I can just reformat my hard drive and get rid of the whole thing

If you use VirtualBox, VMWare, or Parallels, you don't have to format your HDD, you should just "trash" your virtual machine. If you use BootCamp, I suppose you do have to reformat the HDD partition you installed Windows on. But I never tried BootCamp.

I still wonder why you - of all people - want to try Windows. Not that I worry, though.

Cheers,

Hans

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Windoze Sep 12, 2015

Meta Arkadia wrote:

I still wonder why you - of all people - want to try Windows. Not that I worry, though.

Cheers,

Hans

Because for millions of people, everywhere, Windows is their operating system. I'm not particularly attracted to it but I think I should know what it's like to use. There are a great many things I don't like about the Mac OS too, and I don't like Apple one little bit !

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: The quoted post has been removed
TechStyle
TechStyle  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Technical guys, Windows Sep 12, 2015

Tom in London wrote:

That, plus the absence of any coherent explanation in this thread of why a "technical guy" is necessary, or of what he actually does, has convinced me that if I really want to know what Windows is like I should use VB or Parallels on my Mac, and install it there. That way, if I don't like it, I can just reformat my hard drive and get rid of the whole thing

[Edited at 2015-09-12 09:24 GMT]

In a big company, you'd phone "the IT department". For a lot of people, the answer is "my friend X, who knows all about this stuff". For some people, it's themselves; for a surprisingly wide variety of people now, it's me. (Everything from our local Radiology department being unable to open large DICOM files from the new CT scanner, to recovering the password on an electronic building door-entry system, via the routine website and data recovery problems people get.)

So, Tom, supposing you power on your Mac on Monday morning to get to work ... but it won't boot properly, or can't get online, or starts up OK but runs very slowly and keeps freezing up for a few seconds at a time - who do you call? Don't you have a friend who would help out? If so, that's your technical guy.

Trying out Windows makes perfect sense to me: after all, there's an active thread right now with someone having a problem doing a translation with some Visio files - and Visio happens to be a Windows-only product, so if a client of Tom's ever needed that, either he gets Windows, or loses that job. (I thought the same was true of AutoCAD, but it seems there is a version of that for the Mac now.)

For a long time, the Australian Tax Office required use of their Windows-only software to submit online tax returns, and I recall other jurisdictions doing similar things. Sooner or later, I would expect most people to encounter a need for some piece of Windows-only software, either for a client, or some government or bank requirement. A Mac-using friend of mine was doing some contracting for a big client, and they required the use of their own VPN system - which, of course, was Windows only.

Charlie Bavington
Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
French to English
Impossible to answer Sep 13, 2015

Tom in London wrote:

That, plus the absence of any coherent explanation in this thread of why a "technical guy" is necessary, or of what he actually does,.... (snip)

If you need a technical guy, you'd probably struggle to explain what he does in a coherent way, and also perhaps be disinclined to enter a thread of this type to display your ignorance.

If you don't need a technical guy, how are you supposed to know what the hell they do?

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Not the question Sep 13, 2015

My question is: if you're a Windows user and you **do** need a technical guy, do you actually know what he does?

[Edited at 2015-09-13 14:07 GMT]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What is a "technical guy"?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »