NancyLynn
Canada
Local time: 09:16
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...

Jan 5, 2005

Good evening everyone,
This is what happens when one particular regular client sends me zip files: I am told they are corrupt. the zip does not self-extract.
I remember once I was able to unzip the folder, but then the files were all gibberish.
When I told him about it, he re-zipped them with WinZip (he says he prefers some other utility) and it worked.
Why would that be? Is there a workaround I can use tonight, so I don't have to wait till morning to ask the client to re
... See more
Good evening everyone,
This is what happens when one particular regular client sends me zip files: I am told they are corrupt. the zip does not self-extract.
I remember once I was able to unzip the folder, but then the files were all gibberish.
When I told him about it, he re-zipped them with WinZip (he says he prefers some other utility) and it worked.
Why would that be? Is there a workaround I can use tonight, so I don't have to wait till morning to ask the client to resend?
Thanks!
nancy
Collapse

Hynek Palatin
Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 15:16
Member (2003)
English to Czech
+ ...
Not enough information Jan 6, 2005

Unfortunately, it's not clear what exactly is the problem.

I am told they are corrupt.

Told by who?

the zip does not self-extract.

ZIP files can never self-extract. You need an unzipping utility to extract them (for example WinZip). Only EXE files can be self-extracted just by executing them, no other utility is needed. (Self-extractor is an archive, in ZIP or any other format, combined with a small extracting program into one executable file.)

Could you download that utility and use it with files from that client? It's possible that they use another format, not ZIP. What is the extension of the files?

sarahl (X)
sarahl (X)
Local time: 06:16
English to French
+ ...
Stuffit Jan 6, 2005

Hi Nancy,

have you tried stuffit? it works better than winzip for me.
good luck!

Sarah

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 16:16
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
I use ZipZentral Jan 6, 2005

Its freeware. If you use WinXP the system should have a in-built zip-function, so you might believe the archive is self-extracting. But it does not work with all zip-archives, unfortunately, as it is a Microsoft product.

Edward Vreeburg
Edward Vreeburg  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2008)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Note: WinZip does have the possibility for self extraction Jan 6, 2005

Sorry, but WinZip files CAN self-extract....

What you can do is try an newer version or older version of Winzip or maybe check on www.tucows.com for a repair util (like advanced Zip repair)

Hynek Palatin
Czech Republic
Member (2003)
English to Czech
+ ...
Self-extraction Jan 6, 2005

Ed Vreeburg wrote:

Sorry, but WinZip files CAN self-extract....

Sure, WinZip can create self-extracting files. But these files have the .exe extension, so I wouldn't call them "zip files" (although they can be opened in an archiving utility just like plain zip files). Plain zip files cannot self-extract.

By the way, self-extraction does not mean that you can double click a zip file to open it. This is done by associating the zip extension with an archiving utility, such as WinZip, or with internal unzipping tool in Windows XP.

[Edited at 2005-01-06 12:00]

NancyLynn
NancyLynn
Canada
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...

TOPIC STARTER
I realised that on awakening this morning ;-) Jan 6, 2005

Hynek Palatin wrote:

I opened my eyes, thought immediately about my problem and how my European friends might have helped me through the night and realised I had been unclear with my explanation.

Told by who?

By a dialogue box.

the zip does not self-extract

ZIP files can never self-extract. You need an unzipping utility to extract them (for example WinZip). Only EXE files can be self-extracted just by executing them, no other utility is needed. (Self-extractor is an archive, in ZIP or any other format, combined with a small extracting program into one executable file.).

Could you download that utility and use it with files from that client? It's possible that they use another format, not ZIP. What is the extension of the files?

The extension is .zip. I am using WinZip with Win XP and Office XP on my recent Dell Inspiron 5150.

[Edited at 2005-01-06 12:19]

NancyLynn
NancyLynn
Canada
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...

TOPIC STARTER
More info Jan 6, 2005

Apparently it was zipped with Stuffit - there you go, Sarah - so I am downloading the free trial of that utility as I write this and will check to see if it gives me access to the file.

Nancy

Hynek Palatin
Czech Republic
Member (2003)
English to Czech
+ ...
Ask your client to re-zip Jan 6, 2005

Ask your client to re-zip the files with WinZip, if that worked for you before. I think it's the easiest solution. Ask them what tool they use and download it to be prepared when the same thing happens in the future.

You could also try to download another archiving tool and open the file with this program if you feel like experimenting, but I don't think so.

The file could be also corrupted or in a differ
... See more
Ask your client to re-zip the files with WinZip, if that worked for you before. I think it's the easiest solution. Ask them what tool they use and download it to be prepared when the same thing happens in the future.

You could also try to download another archiving tool and open the file with this program if you feel like experimenting, but I don't think so.

The file could be also corrupted or in a different format, despite the zip extension.

P.S. I wrote this before seing your "More info" post. I hope Stuffit will help you.

[Edited at 2005-01-06 12:49]
Collapse

NancyLynn
NancyLynn
Canada
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...

TOPIC STARTER
I realised that on awakening this morning ;-) Jan 6, 2005

Hynek Palatin wrote:

I opened my eyes, thought immediately about my problem and how my European friends might have helped me through the night and realised I had been unclear with my explanation.

Told by who?

By a dialogue box.

the zip does not self-extract.

ZIP files can never self-extract. You need an unzipping utility to extract them (for example WinZip). Only EXE files can be self-extracted just by executing them, no other utility is needed. (Self-extractor is an archive, in ZIP or any other format, combined with a small extracting program into one executable file.)

The extension is .zip. I am using WinZip with Win XP and Office XP on my recent Dell Inspiron 5150.

NancyLynn
NancyLynn
Canada
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...

TOPIC STARTER
Stuffit Jan 6, 2005

I downloaded the trial version of Stuffit, installed it, and unzipped my file.I got an error message telling me it was an unsupported format, but the file successfully unzipped anyway, so I'll do the translation and try to fiure out the bug later.

Unless, of course, one of you Stuffit users can point me in the right direction?

At any rate, I can work, that is the objective. Thanks to all!

I lo
... See more
I downloaded the trial version of Stuffit, installed it, and unzipped my file.I got an error message telling me it was an unsupported format, but the file successfully unzipped anyway, so I'll do the translation and try to fiure out the bug later.

Unless, of course, one of you Stuffit users can point me in the right direction?

At any rate, I can work, that is the objective. Thanks to all!

I love proZ.com!

Nancy
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

WinZip Self-Extractor incompatible with client's file

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »