Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4] >
How do other translators back up their files? Best way to set up an automated back up?
Thread poster: Alison Watt

PAS  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:57
English to Polish
+ ...
Not on the same HDD Aug 7, 2014

Jean-Christophe Duc wrote:
For small jobs, a copy on a different area of your normal drive is also adequate.


I don't see the sense of this (unless only to prevent accidental deletion).
If an HDD crashes, it's likely that you lose everything, regardless of how many partitions there are on it.


 

Jean-Christophe Duc  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 17:57
English to French
+ ...
small jobs Aug 7, 2014

PAS wrote:

Jean-Christophe Duc wrote:
For small jobs, a copy on a different area of your normal drive is also adequate.


I don't see the sense of this (unless only to prevent accidental deletion).
If an HDD crashes, it's likely that you lose everything, regardless of how many partitions there are on it.


Just a case of the proverbial sledge hammer and fly.


 

PAS  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:57
English to Polish
+ ...
Using cannons to shoot sparrows Aug 7, 2014

Well, no, because there's a tendency to keep these QnD solutions forever and I don't see any overkill in keeping an external HDD, to which I back up my pertinent files and an image of the system.



 

Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:57
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
These three things have kept me safe over the years: Aug 7, 2014

1. Windows 7 System Restore (in case a recent change/installation/update messes up Windows)

2. Nightly backup of C: drive (to second hard drive in my laptop) with Macrium Reflect (if I can't boot or sth else horrible happens; Macrium Reflect can be accessed from the boot menu)

3. Constant synchronisation of all documents with Dropbox (if you mess sth up you can use Dropbox's 'Previous versions' feature to roll back changes)

Michael

[Edited at 2014-08
... See more
1. Windows 7 System Restore (in case a recent change/installation/update messes up Windows)

2. Nightly backup of C: drive (to second hard drive in my laptop) with Macrium Reflect (if I can't boot or sth else horrible happens; Macrium Reflect can be accessed from the boot menu)

3. Constant synchronisation of all documents with Dropbox (if you mess sth up you can use Dropbox's 'Previous versions' feature to roll back changes)

Michael

[Edited at 2014-08-07 23:17 GMT]

[Edited at 2014-08-07 23:18 GMT]
Collapse


 

Kevin Clayton, PhD
Spain
Local time: 17:57
Member (2012)
Spanish to English
+ ...
For anyone concerned about the security of Dropbox... Aug 8, 2014

An alternative to Dropbox is Tresorit.

It's more secure because all files are locally encrypted before being uploaded. In fact, the company has been running a competition for the last couple of years, offering a prize (currently $50,000) to anyone who can crack the encryption. According to their website, 900 hackers have tried ("including MIT, Stanford, Caltech, and Harvard") and failed.

I switched from Dropbox to Tresorit about a year ago with no problems.


 

Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:57
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Dropbox + BoxCryptor = Tresorit Aug 8, 2014

If you're worried Dropbox isn't secure enough, you could always encrypt all your Dropbox files on-the-fly with something like BoxCryptor.
‘Encrypt your cloud with Boxcryptor
Boxcryptor protects your files in the cloud no matter if you use Dropbox, Google Drive, Microsoft SkyDrive, SugarSync, Box.net, or any other major cloud storage provider. It also supports all the clouds that use the WebDAV standard such as Cubby, Strato HiDrive, and ownCloud.’
... See more
If you're worried Dropbox isn't secure enough, you could always encrypt all your Dropbox files on-the-fly with something like BoxCryptor.
‘Encrypt your cloud with Boxcryptor
Boxcryptor protects your files in the cloud no matter if you use Dropbox, Google Drive, Microsoft SkyDrive, SugarSync, Box.net, or any other major cloud storage provider. It also supports all the clouds that use the WebDAV standard such as Cubby, Strato HiDrive, and ownCloud.’
(https://www.boxcryptor.com/ )

However, I would like to ask one question to all the people who don't trust Dropbox (and cloud storage in general): do you use email to send documents to and from your clients? If so, you might want to stop, and start using some form of encrypted FTP instead as most email solutions are as vulnerable to snooping as the cloud solutions.

Michael
Collapse


 

Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:57
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Tresorit max. file size is only 2GB! Aug 8, 2014

Kevin Clayton wrote:

An alternative to Dropbox is Tresorit.

It's more secure because all files are locally encrypted before being uploaded. In fact, the company has been running a competition for the last couple of years, offering a prize (currently $50,000) to anyone who can crack the encryption. According to their website, 900 hackers have tried ("including MIT, Stanford, Caltech, and Harvard") and failed.

I switched from Dropbox to Tresorit about a year ago with no problems.


Hi Kevin,

Just having a look at Tresorit, but I noticed that the max. file size is only 2GB for the PRO account, which is really low, which is a shame because it looks interesting. I have files of up to 25GB in my Dropbox folder syncing happily.

Michael


 

Kevin Clayton, PhD
Spain
Local time: 17:57
Member (2012)
Spanish to English
+ ...
File size limits of Tresorit Aug 8, 2014

Michael Beijer wrote:

Hi Kevin,

Just having a look at Tresorit, but I noticed that the max. file size is only 2GB for the PRO account, which is really low, which is a shame because it looks interesting. I have files of up to 25GB in my Dropbox folder syncing happily.

Michael


Ah, that is a limitation. I use the free version but my typical file size is under a few hundred kb (Word documents).

Regardless, I agree with you about the relative security of Dropbox versus email. In fact, I only switched to Tresorit from Dropbox because I started with 50 GB storage (via a promotion).


 

PAS  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:57
English to Polish
+ ...
Email security - very valid point Aug 9, 2014

Michael Beijer wrote:
do you use email to send documents to and from your clients? If so, you might want to stop, and start using some form of encrypted FTP instead as most email solutions are as vulnerable to snooping as the cloud solutions.


A company I'm involved with has introduced a requirement to send and receive sensitive data via secure VPN stating that open email is susceptible to interception.


 

George Hopkins
Local time: 17:57
Swedish to English
Saving Aug 10, 2014

Apart from a general backup system I regularly send a copy of an ongoing job to my wife's email address, eg, daily.
It´s not likely that both computers will crash at the same time.


 

apk12  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 17:57
English to German
+ ...
External harddrive Aug 10, 2014

I simply use an external harddrive. I don't use dropboxes/cloud storage (for obvious, NDA related reasons).

As these dropboxes/cloud storages were not coded by me and do not belong to me, I cannot secure their reliability, I need and want to use something I really can a) guarantee to be working when I need it and b) something that is indeed secure (as secure as possible under given circumstances today, meaning I probably won't be able to stop an NSA trojan software if they go that
... See more
I simply use an external harddrive. I don't use dropboxes/cloud storage (for obvious, NDA related reasons).

As these dropboxes/cloud storages were not coded by me and do not belong to me, I cannot secure their reliability, I need and want to use something I really can a) guarantee to be working when I need it and b) something that is indeed secure (as secure as possible under given circumstances today, meaning I probably won't be able to stop an NSA trojan software if they go that far but other than that I avoid unnecessary business risks and cloud storage is one I regard as such).

Only exceptions are cloud storages chosen by the client for exact this purpose (which happens, but then it's their choice and their risk).
Collapse


 

Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:57
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
using the internet is ‘an unnecessary business risk’ Aug 10, 2014

apk12 wrote:

I simply use an external harddrive. I don't use dropboxes/cloud storage (for obvious, NDA related reasons).

As these dropboxes/cloud storages were not coded by me and do not belong to me, I cannot secure their reliability, I need and want to use something I really can a) guarantee to be working when I need it and b) something that is indeed secure (as secure as possible under given circumstances today, meaning I probably won't be able to stop an NSA trojan software if they go that far but other than that I avoid unnecessary business risks and cloud storage is one I regard as such).

Only exceptions are cloud storages chosen by the client for exact this purpose (which happens, but then it's their choice and their risk).



I don't think that use of Dropbox goes against many NDAs. You say, ‘for obvious reasons’, but what are they, if I may ask? Can you point to a specific NDA and a specific fact about e.g. Dropbox that would breach said NDA?

And if I may ask you just one more question: how do you move your files back and forth between you and your clients? Do you use encrypted FTP, a secure VPN, or some such with all of your clients? If you use pretty much any of the main email providers/solutions out there, you have already breached your own NDAs.

Michael

Interesting reading: http://lukespear.co.uk/2013/08/email-security-for-translators/

[Edited at 2014-08-10 20:30 GMT]


 

apk12  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 17:57
English to German
+ ...
... Aug 12, 2014

Michael Beijer wrote:

I don't think that use of Dropbox goes against many NDAs. You say, ‘for obvious reasons’, but what are they, if I may ask? Can you point to a specific NDA and a specific fact about e.g. Dropbox that would breach said NDA?

And if I may ask you just one more question: how do you move your files back and forth between you and your clients? Do you use encrypted FTP, a secure VPN, or some such with all of your clients? If you use pretty much any of the main email providers/solutions out there, you have already breached your own NDAs.

Michael

Interesting reading: http://lukespear.co.uk/2013/08/email-security-for-translators/

[Edited at 2014-08-10 20:30 GMT]


Regarding email: I indeed avoid US-based email providers, but back to the dropbox... I am writing from Germany and even if our government, especially our "Bundesmerkel" tries really hard to seem unshaken by the revelations, the NSA scandal was and is quite a topic for the people here. Especially the fact that the NSA used their surveilllance methods for industry espionage is something worth giving it a thought. When you have a service that uses pressure to get special backdoors to companies to retrieve such information, assuming such extra entrances to services that collect business relevant materials is logical. As mentioned: I have occasionally clients who use them - but then it's the client's choice.






[Edited at 2014-08-12 12:01 GMT]


 

Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Member (2014)
Danish to English
+ ...
Your own computer isn't necessarily more secure than online services Sep 14, 2014

apk12 wrote:
As these dropboxes/cloud storages were not coded by me and do not belong to me, I cannot secure their reliability, I need and want to use something I really can a) guarantee to be working when I need it and b) something that is indeed secure


The exact same considerations apply to your own computer: you didn't code the operating system and the programs on your own computer, and these programs don't belong to you (you only have a licence to use them); you can't secure their reliability, and you can't guarantee they will work when you need them.

How do you know your own computer is secure - more secure than an online backup or cloud provider? They are on the Internet, and so are you; your own computer is not magically sealed off from incoming traffic, unless you turn off your modem.

As an example, I read somewhere that the NSA somehow had a 'back door' into computers running Windows 8. I don't know if it is true or false, but how do you know? Fact is, you don't, and you can't guarantee the security of your own computer any more than a cloud or online backup provider can. They are likely to have more security expertise available than you have.

As for backup solutions based on something in your own home or office: if the premises burn, so do your backup. An external hard disk can be burgled just as the computer can. In case of flooding, an external hard disk can be destroyed just as the computer.

If your backups are based on you yourself initiating the backups, your backups are unlikely to be recent, so you could lose a week's work, for example. Online backup solutions can assure that you will online lose a few hours' work at most.

Just things to consider; each one does as he or she pleases.


 

Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:57
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Drop Sep 14, 2014

Dropbox (and/or the Cloud) will be no good to you if you only have one computer and your hard drive has crashed. Use a physical hard drive that holds a complete clone so that if your internal drive fails you can boot from the clone and keep on working until you get the internal drive fixed (or get a new computer) and can still go online and do everything else. As a Mac user I find this easy, and I imagine it's equally easy with a PC.

[Edited at 2014-09-14 13:27 GMT]


 
Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4] >


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How do other translators back up their files? Best way to set up an automated back up?

Advanced search






SDL Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within SDL Trados Studio

SDL Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search