https://www.proz.com/forum/windows_operating_systems/258965-transferring_data_to_my_new_win7_laptop-page2.html&phpv_redirected=1

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Transferring Data to my new Win7 laptop
Thread poster: Noura Tawil
PAS
PAS  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:22
Polish to English
+ ...
One caveat Nov 4, 2013

nrichy wrote:
...all your data files in a separate directory, with subdirectories. Then the only thing to backup is 1 directory.

There is one potential problem with having a single directory with everything stored inside it - path length.

No matter how nice and pretty modern operating systems are to use, the total path length for a file (that means from the drive letter to the last letter of the file extension) is 255 characters.

If you have an extended directory tree and a lengthy file naming system, you may find that you run out of "space" if you need to store a file with a long name somewhere deep in your directory tree.

Hence, I prefer to keep a dedicated partition for work to avoid too much of a vertical structure.

PAS
PAS  Identity Verified
Polish to English
+ ...
Discussion is starting to veer off into technicalities... Nov 4, 2013

Samuel Murray wrote:

This sort of advice worked fine for Windows 95.

And for Windows 3.11 before it, yes. I am quite happy to admit I still think in those terms. I abhor libraries and any sort of virtual storage systems (ie one that uses location pointers rather than actual locations.
I make a great effort to "tweak" all the software I use, so it stores stuff where I want it, not where it wants to

What's more, you might also forget to tweak a certain program, and then neglect to back up its files because you assume that its file are on the D drive when in fact they are still on the C drive.

I do my best not to.
Or, what you may not realise, is that some programs reset their folder settings whenever they get automatically updated, so you'd have to ensure that you are aware of when a program is updated and, if so, check again if the folder locations in that program's settings are still as you set them.

I am not aware of such software (that I would use).

Having all your data on the D drive makes it only marginally easier to do backups. If you regularly run backups, your backup script will know which folders to back up, regardless of which drive they're on.

I do run auto-backups regularly and have a script, yes (using the Win7 backup feature), but still keep all my stuff on D...

But you must copy stuff from C to D, because some data will be on C.

That's taken care of in the back-up script. This includes some esoteric stuff like Outlook's NK2 file for email address auto-complete, MSWord's DIC file and some other stuff. I can have disk images and backups galore, and I still feel safer if I know that a particular file sits somewhere where I can find it... Anything else I don't need (I hope).

The speed would depend on the hard drive...

Well, yes, and on the amount of data, obviously. I actually had to copy ca. 10 GB worth of data, but through a USB 1.1 port (!) - yes, the laptop, bless its senile heart, was that old.

I don't think it really matters if it takes 30 minutes or 6 hours to copy your data. If you need to do it, you just do it. You just need to be around to watch the copy process in case the computer stops on some strange file that it asks permission to copy (thumbs.db is a typical example).

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Path length, yes Nov 4, 2013

PAS wrote:
nrichy wrote:
...all your data files in a separate directory, with subdirectories. Then the only thing to backup is 1 directory.

There is one potential problem with having a single directory with everything stored inside it - path length.

Yes, and that is why it is important to use short directory names for the upper folders. For example, use "D:\work\1999\Jan\" and not "D:\Work related files\Year 1999\Month January". This is also why placing your data files in the root of a logical drive is a good idea.

Noura Tawil
Noura Tawil  Identity Verified
Syria
Local time: 22:22
Member (2013)
English to Arabic
TOPIC STARTER
Trees and roots Nov 4, 2013

Speaking of programs that spread file bits and pieces all over the place, I found TRADOS related files everywhere on my old laptop, like tree roots! Even in locations that I did allocate for my projects and TMs (Default?). No other program showed up in so many locations like TRADOS.

Do I need to transfer anything other than my projects and TMs folders (which I do know where they are)? I have SDL 2011 on the old laptop, and I will install SDL 2014 on the new one.

You k
... See more
Speaking of programs that spread file bits and pieces all over the place, I found TRADOS related files everywhere on my old laptop, like tree roots! Even in locations that I did allocate for my projects and TMs (Default?). No other program showed up in so many locations like TRADOS.

Do I need to transfer anything other than my projects and TMs folders (which I do know where they are)? I have SDL 2011 on the old laptop, and I will install SDL 2014 on the new one.

You know, after this discussion, I really think that some translator should put an article together about all the main steps, aspects, and methods of transferring data between two PCs especially for translators, covering these things we're talking about, so that people like me would know where to start and what to transfer (Email messages, CAT tools files, documents, etc..).

Oh! I already figured out how to tranfer my email messages and contacts, yup, it took me two hours of googling and trying.. Sigh!
Collapse

Noura Tawil
Syria
Member (2013)
English to Arabic
TOPIC STARTER
"File too large" Nov 5, 2013

I started transferring my files through a USB HDD. One file seems to be too large "4.3 GB", it's a two hours HD video, if you're wondering.

The error window says something like : File ".....mkv" too large to be moved to destination.
And it suggests to make it smaller. The destination here is the HDD.

I want that video on my new laptop, not on a separate DVD. How should I deal with it? Will compressing in WINRAR make it small enough?

Thanks,

Rolf Keller
Rolf Keller
Germany
English to German
FAT32? Nov 5, 2013

Noura Tawil wrote:

One file seems to be too large "4.3 GB".

The FAT32 filesystem has a 4 GB file size limit. Maybe your USB drive uses FAT32. Check the format and consider reformatting the drive to NTFS. NTFS is more reliable anyway.

(BTW, I'd never use USB drives. I use drives with Ethernet connection, i. e. NAS drives.)

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Not compressing, but splitting Nov 5, 2013

Noura Tawil wrote:
Will compressing in WINRAR make it small enough?

No, *compressing* it in WinRAR won't do anything, but you can use WinRAR to split it into a multi-volume zip file (or RAR file), which will make it smaller. However, as Rolf said, if your flash drive is formatted in a way that doesn't allow such large files, it may not matter even if you could move it.

PAS
PAS  Identity Verified
Polish to English
+ ...
Burn, baby, burn Nov 6, 2013

You can also burn the file to a DVD (as data, of course) and transfer it to the new computer that way.
Agree that FAT 32 may be the cause of the problem...

Noura Tawil
Syria
Member (2013)
English to Arabic
TOPIC STARTER
except that the DVD drive is not working :( Nov 6, 2013

PAS wrote:

You can also burn the file to a DVD (as data, of course) and transfer it to the new computer that way.
Agree that FAT 32 may be the cause of the problem...

I'll try a USB flash, perhaps this FAT 32 thing is not an issue in this case.

Rolf Keller
Rolf Keller
Germany
English to German
The file system issue remains Nov 7, 2013

Noura Tawil wrote:

I'll try a USB flash, perhaps this FAT 32 thing is not an issue in this case.

All USB storage devices use a certain file system. Goto My Computer, right-click the drive, then click Properties and look at File System. It should read FAT 32 or NTFS.

If it is FAT 32, just re-format the stick.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Transferring Data to my new Win7 laptop

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »