Vista / Office 2007 - "Installation source not available"!
Thread poster: Roland Nienerza
Roland Nienerza
Roland Nienerza  Identity Verified

Local time: 06:54
English to German
+ ...
Sep 4, 2013

Trying to open WORD or OUTLOOK on a laptop with Windows Vista and Office 2007 I am rather suddenly confronted with the error message - "Installation source for this product is not available. - Make sure that the source is available and that you have access to it."

MS Office was bought together with the device from Dell in 2007. - The device was meant to be a ready-to-use standby alternative for a possible emergency on another device that I am currently using. - I am not even sure th
... See more
Trying to open WORD or OUTLOOK on a laptop with Windows Vista and Office 2007 I am rather suddenly confronted with the error message - "Installation source for this product is not available. - Make sure that the source is available and that you have access to it."

MS Office was bought together with the device from Dell in 2007. - The device was meant to be a ready-to-use standby alternative for a possible emergency on another device that I am currently using. - I am not even sure that I had been provided an Office recovery CD or, if so, I would not know where I put it.

Google has discussions on that "installation source not available" issue. But I could not get any practical advice out of those. - Could anyone here have an idea what causes this hitch and how it could be resolved?
Collapse

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
Hi Roland Sep 4, 2013

Please see http://support.microsoft.com/kb/932857 and follow the steps described there to resolve the problem.

HTH,
Natalia

Roland Nienerza

English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, Natalie, Sep 4, 2013

for your fast reply. -

The link seems to be more to the point than some others that I had looked up from Google. - Though the outlook remains grim. All the more as the solution proposed seems to hinge on a reinstall but I do not have the CD ready for it.

Natalie
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
Outlook is part of Office Sep 4, 2013

Roland, you should repair Office as a whole, not just Word and Outlook.

In case Office was preinstalled at your laptop, the installation files should be somewhere at the hard disk, but in case installation was updated (through automatic Windows updates) you get exactly what you have. Did you try running FixIt, as advised in the article?

Natalie
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
Fix it Solution Center Sep 4, 2013

http://support.microsoft.com/fixit/

Roland Nienerza

English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
That WORD and OUTLOOK are in Office is well understood - Sep 4, 2013

Though you may be quite right that one of the regular Updates - which of course I amalways accepting - may be in for this. - If so "restore system" could even be an idea too.

Thank you also for the link to the Fixit Center - with the extra service of sening the link to the German version.

Roland Nienerza

English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
eh bien - Sep 4, 2013

A restore behind, i.e. to some 14 days before some recent Windows updates seems to have improved the situation. - With quite some delays and "opening in secured mode" etc the two programs Word and Outlook, the only ones I am using out of the Office suite, have at least for this time restarted.

The problem seems also to be coupled with the well-known Visual Basic and trados8.dotm nag. So there may be more trouble in store. But you set me, indirectly on the right track, Natalie.
... See more
A restore behind, i.e. to some 14 days before some recent Windows updates seems to have improved the situation. - With quite some delays and "opening in secured mode" etc the two programs Word and Outlook, the only ones I am using out of the Office suite, have at least for this time restarted.

The problem seems also to be coupled with the well-known Visual Basic and trados8.dotm nag. So there may be more trouble in store. But you set me, indirectly on the right track, Natalie.

And I am going to have a further link in the Microsoft support material that you linked up to.

Thanks a lot.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Vista / Office 2007 - "Installation source not available"!

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »