https://www.proz.com/forum/windows_operating_systems/254641-is_windows_to_die-page2.html&phpv_redirected=1

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Is Windows to die?
Thread poster: Heinrich Pesch
Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:48
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Glide.com = Google Chrome OS Aug 18, 2013

Meta Arkadia wrote:

or that's what they've been saying for ages now.

In 2005, I started experimenting with Glide.com, an Internet-based operating system, usually called a web desktops. They idea is pretty old, about as old as the (public) Internet itself, just like wearable, Internet-connected computers (IBM Glass, 1994).

The Internet was a bit (a few megabits, actually) too slow, but apart from that, Glide was usable for daily computer task, a bit like the iPad. Don't rush to the Glide site, though. Glide has been acquired by "certain elements" from Mountain View, for obvious reasons.

I know most people here will be against web-based operating systems, but it's inevitable. It makes sense. Web-based apps just start to pop-up, web-based operating systems will be easier accepted. I tried to convince Atril years ago (and CafeTran more recently) to provide a web-based version of DejaVu so I could use it on a Mac, to no avail. However, if the app is specific enough - and CAT tools are - launching them on the Internet will be successful. MS Office 2013 isn't (I think), Adobe is. As soon as there are enough web-based applications, people will get used to the idea, and won't object to an web-based operating system.

Cheers,

Hans

Hi Hans,

In a sense, Google's Chrome OS is kind of the same thing as the old Glide.com.

I also think that web-based CAT tools are an interesting way to go. I can imagine that there would be great possibilities around sharing large TM/TB databases online in such apps, although, this could of course also be done with desktop apps. And then there is the fact that many people still have shitty internet connections . . .

Michael

Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
Local time: 15:48
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Yep Aug 18, 2013

Michael Beijer wrote:

That's why I mentioned "certain elements from Mountain View" that acquired Glide, and shut it down. Again.

But to return to the subject, if we are right, not only Windows will bite the dust, OS X, Linux, and Whathaveyou as well. No need to worry extra about Windows, I'd say. Me worry?

Cheers,

Hans

Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
Local time: 15:48
English to Indonesian
+ ...
An animated discussion Aug 19, 2013

A few messages earlier in this thread, I added a screenshot of the Dock in OS X. It occurred to me, an animated version of it would have been far more illustrative. So here it is, it's also a test to find out if ProZ forums can handle animations in messages:

ProZ passed the test.

Cheers,

Hans

Alexandre Chetrite
Alexandre Chetrite
France
Local time: 10:48
English to French
Unless Microsoft lowers its prices? Sep 17, 2013

Meta Arkadia wrote:

Michael Beijer wrote:

That's why I mentioned "certain elements from Mountain View" that acquired Glide, and shut it down. Again.

But to return to the subject, if we are right, not only Windows will bite the dust, OS X, Linux, and Whathaveyou as well. No need to worry extra about Windows, I'd say. Me worry?

Cheers,

Hans

What if Microsoft lowers its prices on its software? I mean significantly?

[Edited at 2013-09-17 13:18 GMT]

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Lowering its prices might help... Sep 17, 2013

But I don’t think it will be necessary.

Microsoft has a monopoly on business-oriented software, and until that changes, I don’t really see it being in all too much trouble. Let me translate this into my own particular situation: sadly, almost all of the important software I rely on for my work is Windows-only.

Michael

Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 03:48
Spanish
+ ...
Not a fangirl so... Sep 17, 2013

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

To me it looks like Microsoft is losing also this round of the game. I myself own a phone with Windows Phone 8 operating system (Lumia 920), but I believe software developers will not follow suite, because there is no Windows-based tablet that could compete with iPad or Android-based tablets.
Windows 8 seems to be a failure too, people are not eager to use it. And the market share of desktop machines is shrinking fast.
So will we soon start to use Android-based machines for professional work? Is the Windows age coming to an end?

Acer Iconia W700P-6821 11.6-Inch 128 GB Tablet (Silver, Windows 8 Pro)

This thing kicks iPad's ass in any way, form or shape. It is a complete computer in a tablet format. It might be my next computer, even with Win8.

[Edited at 2013-09-17 21:52 GMT]

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
All I can say is..... Sep 17, 2013

....the MacOS is definitely doomed. Why? Because the total amassed wisdom of everyone important at Apple has come to the decision to call the new version, shortly to appear.....MAVERICKS. Not Ocelot, or some other big cat, but.....Mavericks.

This name change was a key decision- and look what a mess they made of it. It shows that Apple is now being run by people who have no clue who the users of the MacOS are. This pains me, because I'm a long-time Mac user (though not a fanboi)- an
... See more
....the MacOS is definitely doomed. Why? Because the total amassed wisdom of everyone important at Apple has come to the decision to call the new version, shortly to appear.....MAVERICKS. Not Ocelot, or some other big cat, but.....Mavericks.

This name change was a key decision- and look what a mess they made of it. It shows that Apple is now being run by people who have no clue who the users of the MacOS are. This pains me, because I'm a long-time Mac user (though not a fanboi)- and yes, that's the accepted correct spelling !

[Edited at 2013-09-17 21:13 GMT]
Collapse

rubi471
rubi471  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:48
English to Russian
+ ...
64 bit on my windows 7 Sep 25, 2013

Hi there,

I'm not a tech savvy person and couldn't figure out why my Windows 7 Registry was completely re-arranged after I loaded down the Trados 2011 freelance package. I was told by the Microsoft support it happened because my Word (professional version) has 64-bit.
I un-installed Trados, but my pc notebook had never "recovered", and I am considering either buying a new desktop or wiping out my Microsoft Word and downloading a new version.
Any suggestions? I would gre
... See more
Hi there,

I'm not a tech savvy person and couldn't figure out why my Windows 7 Registry was completely re-arranged after I loaded down the Trados 2011 freelance package. I was told by the Microsoft support it happened because my Word (professional version) has 64-bit.
I un-installed Trados, but my pc notebook had never "recovered", and I am considering either buying a new desktop or wiping out my Microsoft Word and downloading a new version.
Any suggestions? I would greatly appreciate any input.
Collapse

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 05:48
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
Microsoft prices Sep 25, 2013

Alexandre Chetrite wrote:

What if Microsoft lowers its prices on its software? I mean significantly?

Now and then I read statistics on the overwhelming percentage of Windows users worldwide who never bought it.

My take is that if the latest version of Windows license always cost USD 50 anywhere on the world, no discounted upgrades, no OEM versions, no home/standard/pro versions, the quantity of computers running on Windows installed from illegal or "borrowed" disks would be negligible... and Microsoft would be much, much wealthier by now.

Some call it strategy, others name it greed.

A similar bad decision was made by inkjet printer manufacturers as a whole. They decided against making any profit from the printers themselves... only from the ink. The idea was that a printer is sold once, while the ink is sold over the lifetime of the printer.

So they decided to sell ink in cartridges containing 5-20 ml of ink each, and the price per volume of that ink would be several times more than the most expensive parfum in the market.

One extreme case was a Canon BJC-200 printer I had many years ago. The printer cost BRL 200, and came with one full cartridge. The cartridge alone (black only) cost BRL 95. Disposable!

Apparently those printer manufacturers failed to imagine that the cartridge recharging industry would boom. And they hadn't thought of the possibility of heavy users successfully converting their printers with bulk ink systems. So they lost the game.

Now they can't go back and sell expensive printers with, say, 200 ml tanks that may be filled with ink from affordable liter-size bottles, as there are too many cheaper products on the market to prevent them from selling these.

Back to Microsoft, they are trying to rent the OS on the cloud, instead of selling licenses. It seems that too many XP users are clinging to it forever. This is a last-ditch resort, after they tried WGA and other schemes to curb illegal copies, to no avail.

Likewise, some printer manufacturers are making non-rechargeable cartridges. The result is that models that use them don't sell as expected.

Perhaps it's about time these guys learned something about cause and effect in marketing.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is Windows to die?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »