Lia Fail (X)
Lia Fail (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 17:08
Spanish to English
+ ...
Oct 1, 2004

Windows XP, Word 2000.

I have a glossary ordered ABC for EN --> ES, in table format (2 columns).

I want to switch it around so that I have the EN first, then order it ABC for EN.

I have done this before, copying the column on the right then managing somehow to paste it on the left of the first column, but this time I can't seem to get it to work.

By the way, I created the table from tab-seperated items (i.e. EN term + tab + ES term).
... See more
Windows XP, Word 2000.

I have a glossary ordered ABC for EN --> ES, in table format (2 columns).

I want to switch it around so that I have the EN first, then order it ABC for EN.

I have done this before, copying the column on the right then managing somehow to paste it on the left of the first column, but this time I can't seem to get it to work.

By the way, I created the table from tab-seperated items (i.e. EN term + tab + ES term).

How can I do the switching?
Collapse

Margaret Schroeder
Margaret Schroeder  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 09:08
Spanish to English
+ ...
Try this Oct 1, 2004

I have the same version and system as you, and this worked for me.
1) Select the right (2nd) column and choose "Insert Colums to the right" from the Table menu.
2) Select the left (1st) column, copy it, and paste it into the new rightmost (3rd) column.
3) Delete the (now redundant) leftmost (1st) column.

[Edited at 2004-10-01 16:17]

Narasimhan Raghavan
Narasimhan Raghavan  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:38
English to Tamil
+ ...
In memoriam
That's fine, but how does it help? Oct 4, 2004

For a glossary to be effective, it should be arranged in alphabetical order. With your method, you just succeed in reversing the left-right position of the source and target languages. If it cannot be arranged alphabetically, what's the use? You can as well leave it as it is. And use control+F to locate any source word and look up its meaning provided the source word is found.

Regards,
N.Ragahavn
GoodWords wrote:

I have the same version and system as you, and this worked for me.
1) Select the right (2nd) column and choose "Insert Colums to the right" from the Table menu.
2) Select the left (1st) column, copy it, and paste it into the new rightmost (3rd) column.
3) Delete the (now redundant) leftmost (1st) column.

[Edited at 2004-10-01 16:17]

Graciela Carlyle
Graciela Carlyle  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:08
English to Spanish
+ ...
Sort function Oct 4, 2004

Excuse me if this is a stupid suggestion...but after swapping the columns, the table should be sorted (by the first column but including all the table) so that the result is alphabetically ordered by the language you chose.

Another option is to copy the table in excel (it's a lot more flexible than word to handle tables), do the swapping and sorting there, and copy it back to word, if you prefer to have it in .doc format.

All my glossaries are created and organised in e
... See more
Excuse me if this is a stupid suggestion...but after swapping the columns, the table should be sorted (by the first column but including all the table) so that the result is alphabetically ordered by the language you chose.

Another option is to copy the table in excel (it's a lot more flexible than word to handle tables), do the swapping and sorting there, and copy it back to word, if you prefer to have it in .doc format.

All my glossaries are created and organised in excel and then saved as text (tab separated) so I can use them with wordfast. If I need to do any maintenance out of wordfast, I simply open the txt files in excel do whatever is needed and save again as txt.

HTH,
Grace.

[Edited at 2004-10-04 08:58]

[Edited at 2004-10-04 08:59]
Collapse

Margaret Schroeder
Margaret Schroeder  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 09:08
Spanish to English
+ ...
Sort Oct 7, 2004

Graciela Carlyle wrote:

Not at all; I was careless to leave out this final step in the instructions. It is less important, though if the glossary is to be consulted on the computer, for it is easy to search the document electronically for any desired word. In fact an electronic search is more versatile because it can find words in the middle of phrases, which an alphabetic search would not find. Of course if the document is going to be printed out and used on paper, this isn\'t an option.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

linear glossary in Word - switching language direction

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »