Java Runtime Environment 64-bit or 32-bit for Windows 7 x64?
Thread poster: Danesh
Danesh
Danesh
Local time: 03:05
English to Persian (Farsi)
Mar 6, 2013

I'm on Windows 7 x64. Should I install both Java Runtime Environment 1.7.0.17 (64-bit) and (32-bit)?

Thank you very much in advance for your comments and advice.

Rolf Keller
Rolf Keller
Germany
Local time: 01:35
English to German
Both! Mar 6, 2013

Danesh wrote:

I'm on Windows 7 x64. Should I install both Java Runtime Environment 1.7.0.17 (64-bit) and (32-bit)?

32 bit applications call for 32 bit Java, whereas 64 bit applications call for 64 bit Java.
So you should install both Javas in parallel, this is no problem at all.

Actually you can even keep/install older versions in parallel. Some older applications will not work with Java 1.7.

Enrico C - ECLC
Enrico C - ECLC  Identity Verified
Taiwan
Local time: 07:35
English to Italian
+ ...
Depends... Mar 6, 2013

Danesh wrote:

Thank you very much in advance for your comments and advice.

If you have a 64-bit system (Windows 64-bit) then you may need both. The reason for this is that on 64-bit OS platforms you'll have both 32-bit and 64-bit applications, each of which will need its own dedicated Java platform. On the other hand, if your system is based on a 32-bit OS, you may not need the 64-bit version of Java since 32-bit OS' are unable to support any 64-bit application.

Since you are on a 64-bit system you need both. I'd also delete all old versions as some can have bugs and issues that could be exploited.

[Edited at 2013-03-06 13:29 GMT]

Danesh
Danesh
Local time: 03:05
English to Persian (Farsi)
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Mar 7, 2013

Dear Rolf and Enrico,
Thank you very much indeed for your clear advice.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Java Runtime Environment 64-bit or 32-bit for Windows 7 x64?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »