Tina Vonhof (X)
Tina Vonhof (X)
Canada
Local time: 08:56
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Rolf Feb 6, 2013

To clarify, what I have are really trifocals, the top part is for distance, then an area for medium distance such as the monitor, and an area at the bottom for reading. The fact that they are graded means not having any visible lines between them. It sounds complicated but it didn't take me very long to get used to them. I would rather have this than having to change glasses all the time.

[Edited at 2013-02-06 19:08 GMT]

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 16:56
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Side by side in all Windows versions Feb 6, 2013

Tina Vonhof wrote:
When I told him that I need to be able to display PDFs and Word documents side by side, he told me that in Windows 7 and 8 you can do this on one monitor.

He probably wasn't aware of the fact that you could do it in pretty much all previous versions of Windows, except that the shortcut for doing it in Windows 7 is more easily discovered by accident. To do this, drag the window towards the end of the screen. Even so, the Windows 7 method will only arrange windows side-by-side and not top-bottom.

To arrange two windows side by side without Windows 7 (or without dragging), simply minimise all windows except for the two windows that you want to arrange. Then right-click the taskbar and select either "Show windows stacked" (top-bottom) or "Show windows side by side" (side-by-side).

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
Show windows stacked Feb 6, 2013

Samuel Murray wrote:

To arrange two windows side by side without Windows 7 (or without dragging), simply minimise all windows except for the two windows that you want to arrange. Then right-click the taskbar and select either "Show windows stacked" (top-bottom) or "Show windows side by side" (side-by-side).

Thanks for that tip, Samuel! This old dog has learnt a new trick today!

Tina Vonhof (X)
Tina Vonhof (X)
Canada
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Only with Word Feb 6, 2013

Hi Samuel, on my computer that works only with two Word documents, not via the task bar but via the "View" menu. If I choose "side by side" on my small screen I have to reduce them to 75% each. I use that sometimes if I have a source document in Word, just for the first round of checking.

But in Windows 7 or 8, you can have a PDF and a Word document each occupying half the screen. I saw that not only in the store but my daughter has tried it out for me as well. But, as others have p
... See more
Hi Samuel, on my computer that works only with two Word documents, not via the task bar but via the "View" menu. If I choose "side by side" on my small screen I have to reduce them to 75% each. I use that sometimes if I have a source document in Word, just for the first round of checking.

But in Windows 7 or 8, you can have a PDF and a Word document each occupying half the screen. I saw that not only in the store but my daughter has tried it out for me as well. But, as others have pointed out, that would require a large and more expensive monitor.
Collapse

Rolf Keller
Rolf Keller
Germany
English to German
Not only with Word but with any software Feb 7, 2013

Tina Vonhof wrote:

But in Windows 7 or 8, you can have a PDF and a Word document each occupying half the screen.

No "but"! You can do that with any application and any Windows from XP on. Probably even with Windows 98 or 2000. There is no restriction regarding the position and size of any application window.

Rolf Keller
Rolf Keller
Germany
English to German
Go beyond Windows' screen features Feb 7, 2013

With the Multifultor software you can set up hotkeys or buttons that let you display one or more applications in any size, in any position and on any screen (if you have more than one). If desired, the apps are even automatically started.

So you can have several pre-configured layouts at your fingertips. One of 9999 scenarios: Just one click, and your dictionaries pop up in a convenient arrangement while your word processor gets invisible; later on one further click and your word p
... See more
With the Multifultor software you can set up hotkeys or buttons that let you display one or more applications in any size, in any position and on any screen (if you have more than one). If desired, the apps are even automatically started.

So you can have several pre-configured layouts at your fingertips. One of 9999 scenarios: Just one click, and your dictionaries pop up in a convenient arrangement while your word processor gets invisible; later on one further click and your word processor comes back in the previous position. All things are straightforward configurable: Just arrange your windows at will, then click "Save the actual panorama view".

Multifultor is a lookup tool and can arrange the lookup results windows. But actually, it can arrange all other windows as well, i. e. you don't have to use the lookup function.

See http://www.proz.com/forum/translator_resources/234671-news_about_multifultor.html#2030375
Collapse

Rolf Keller
Rolf Keller
Germany
English to German
Monitors & VDU workers Feb 7, 2013

Tina Vonhof wrote:

To clarify, what I have are really trifocals, the top part is for distance, then an area for medium distance such as the monitor, and an area at the bottom for reading. The fact that they are graded means not having any visible lines between them.

Visible separator lines or not - such glasses narrow your field of view anyway. So they might affect your posture (from neck to lumbar region, because you'll move your head to a greater extent than a "healthy" person). There is a chance to suffer from that, maybe imperceptible at first. Additionally your eyes might get overstrained.

Many VDU workers suffer from non-localizable effects, some get even occupationally disabled - don't take this lightly. Even if you feel good now, think of long-term effects.

Anyway you should consider special glasses for VDU workers. Unfortunately I have only a German reference for this: http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bildschirmarbeitsplatzbrille

Tina Vonhof (X)
Tina Vonhof (X)
Canada
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Rolf Feb 7, 2013

Thank you for your concern, Rolf. I am indeed very aware of my posture and I also do special exercises to keep my back and neck in shape. But as I said, I have the screen at the exact right distance and height that forces me to sit up straight and I enlarge the text I'm working on to about 125% to reduce eye strain. I make sure I never (need to) make the mistake of bending my neck and chin forward. I've been working this way for years and I'm used to it. My eyesight is actually getting better wi... See more
Thank you for your concern, Rolf. I am indeed very aware of my posture and I also do special exercises to keep my back and neck in shape. But as I said, I have the screen at the exact right distance and height that forces me to sit up straight and I enlarge the text I'm working on to about 125% to reduce eye strain. I make sure I never (need to) make the mistake of bending my neck and chin forward. I've been working this way for years and I'm used to it. My eyesight is actually getting better with age and there may come a time when I don't need the trifocals anymore.Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Windows7 side-by-side display

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »