How to install XP Pro (English) over XP Home (Deutsch)?
Thread poster: Csaba Ban
Csaba Ban
Csaba Ban  Identity Verified
Hungary
Local time: 14:11
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Aug 5, 2004

I just bought a notebook computer (finally!), with XP Home (German version) pre-installed, together with several utilities (antivirus, digital image processing, etc.).
Now, I would like to change the operating system to XP Pro (English version). The point is changing the language, not the version. I do have an installation CD for XP Pro (English), and I have already made an attempt to install it OVER the existing German OS.
Since the notebook has two physical hard drives, the new OS
... See more
I just bought a notebook computer (finally!), with XP Home (German version) pre-installed, together with several utilities (antivirus, digital image processing, etc.).
Now, I would like to change the operating system to XP Pro (English version). The point is changing the language, not the version. I do have an installation CD for XP Pro (English), and I have already made an attempt to install it OVER the existing German OS.
Since the notebook has two physical hard drives, the new OS was automatically installed on the empty hard drive - but then on this drive none of the pre-installed utilities are present.

My question is therefore: how to install this new English OS ***instead of*** the existing German OS.
Do I have to specify something in the regular installation process? Or do I have to enter BIOS (which I am not really familiar with...)?

Thank you for your ideas.
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Usually Windows should have asked you this Aug 5, 2004

Before you install any other OS, then the preinstalled, bear in mind, that a lot of utilities are notebook specific and you will not be able to get the drivers for them elswhere, as only on the homepage of your notebook manufacturer. So first take a look, if you can manage to get all drivers you would need from the proper homepage.
I do not know, how the boot sequence is set in your notebook, but possibly there is a procedure (described in the manual) how to force the notebook to boot from
... See more
Before you install any other OS, then the preinstalled, bear in mind, that a lot of utilities are notebook specific and you will not be able to get the drivers for them elswhere, as only on the homepage of your notebook manufacturer. So first take a look, if you can manage to get all drivers you would need from the proper homepage.
I do not know, how the boot sequence is set in your notebook, but possibly there is a procedure (described in the manual) how to force the notebook to boot from CD. After you fgured that out put the english OS CD in the drive and boot from it. Windows should show you the existing partitions and ask you, in which one it should be installed. I would delete all existing partitions and then make new partitioning of the harddisk. Windows formats the installation partition automatically. Afterwards you have to format the other one (or ones) manually within Windows Explorer for example.

Anyway, installing one OS over another is not a solution IMO, as then the OS get mixed up and will not work properly.

Regards
Jerzy
Collapse

Ivan Eikås Skjøstad
Ivan Eikås Skjøstad  Identity Verified
Norway
Member (2002)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Clean format Aug 5, 2004

Since this is a new laptop I assume that it is packed recovery functions etc. My experience is: If you have backup of the software you need, do I clean install of XP Pro after formating your harddrive. You say that you have two hard drives, but I assume that on a laptop you have two partitions [C: and D:] .

Put your CD in the drive, and choose a clean installation. Then follow the instruction, and when prompted, format the C as NTFS. Then install XP Pro on C:. Your programs should s
... See more
Since this is a new laptop I assume that it is packed recovery functions etc. My experience is: If you have backup of the software you need, do I clean install of XP Pro after formating your harddrive. You say that you have two hard drives, but I assume that on a laptop you have two partitions [C: and D:] .

Put your CD in the drive, and choose a clean installation. Then follow the instruction, and when prompted, format the C as NTFS. Then install XP Pro on C:. Your programs should stay on D:, but since this is no upgrade you will need to install what you need later.

If you do not have too much on D: I would have opted for a format of this partition once XP Pro was installed, just to start fresh.

This is just my opinion. Normally an upgrade is not available since the languages differ.

Good luck with your new lap top.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to install XP Pro (English) over XP Home (Deutsch)?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »