Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 00:44
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Mar 15, 2012

G'day everyone

My trusty Win XP laptop died this week and I got myself a new computer, with Windows 7 on it. Every time I get a new operating system, I try to get back my old functionality using third-party programs or clever tweaks, but there are always things that simply don't work anymore.

Does anyone know how to solve these two problems (even if I have to pay for third-party software)?

1. My monitor is full HD in portrait mode. So it makes no sense to
... See more
G'day everyone

My trusty Win XP laptop died this week and I got myself a new computer, with Windows 7 on it. Every time I get a new operating system, I try to get back my old functionality using third-party programs or clever tweaks, but there are always things that simply don't work anymore.

Does anyone know how to solve these two problems (even if I have to pay for third-party software)?

1. My monitor is full HD in portrait mode. So it makes no sense to have the taskbar at the top or bottom. I had the taskbar on the left-hand side in Win XP, but to make running programs' icons visible enough, the taskbar has to be about 200 pixels wide. Fortunately in Win XP, if the taskbar is on the left or right, open windows overlap the taskbar if necessary. With Windows 7, the taskbar is always on top. Always. I can "autohide" the taskbar, but that is no solution because I want to be able to see the taskbar while I work (my brain works on the out-of-sight-out-of-mind principle, so anything that is hidden get forgotten). What would the solution for this be?

2. In Windows XP, one could drag any folder to the edge of the screen, and it would turn into a toolbar that contains items in that folder. Windows 7 no longer has this functionality. Any user-created toolbars in Windows 7 has to be inside the taskbar and can't be elsewhere. Any nice software to overcome this problem?

Thanks
Samuel
Collapse

DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
perhaps Mar 15, 2012

you could consider StarDock? It's really comprehensive and versatile software, and although it's mostly for MacOS fans, I'm sure I've seen similar features to yours implemented via SD.

Also, if you've got w7 Ultimate, you should have WinXP SP3 (x32?) preinstalled too (as an image). Also a virtual machine option sometimes may be the key.

Siegfried Armbruster
Siegfried Armbruster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
XP might run on your new computer too Mar 15, 2012

Have you tried running your trusty XP on your new laptop?

If it runs, all your problems should be solved?

Alex Lago
Alex Lago  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Tried this? Mar 16, 2012

Hi

As regards problem 1 all you should have to do is drag the taskbar to the side you want and then right click on top of it, select Properties and "uncheck" the auto hide box, then the windows will adjust and the taskbar should be visible without "riding over" your windows.

I'm sorry but I don't really know what you mean with problem 2 (I don't think I ever used that feature in XP) so I've no solution to offer for that

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

New computer, new limitations

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »