Thread poster: Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
Local time: 03:25
English to German
+ ...
Jun 12, 2004

Hi! all!

Today I came across something new, Openoffice - New office tool !! It is for free bieng an opensource project, here is the link http://www.openoffice.org/ . From the looks and feels , it is much like MS-Office yet at no cost. I have even tried converting .htm files in it, a real success, the size remains almost same, unlike MSHTML which makes files very thick, and hence not suitable for
... See more
Hi! all!

Today I came across something new, Openoffice - New office tool !! It is for free bieng an opensource project, here is the link http://www.openoffice.org/ . From the looks and feels , it is much like MS-Office yet at no cost. I have even tried converting .htm files in it, a real success, the size remains almost same, unlike MSHTML which makes files very thick, and hence not suitable for webprojection. I wanted to share this information with you, now we can tell the outsourcer that we can work with openoffice, as it doesn´t entertain any CAT-Plug-ins, hence the whole work needs to be done manually. Call it price politics!!
greets
Brandis

[Edited at 2004-06-14 10:23]
Collapse

Claudio Porcellana (X)
Claudio Porcellana (X)  Identity Verified
Italy
New office tool !! Open office Vs. MS-Office not with Trados Jun 14, 2004

interesting .... but ....
not working with Trados is a real mess

Claudio Porcellana

Brandis wrote:

Hi! all!

Today I came across something new, Openoffice - New office tool !! It is for free bieng an opensource project, here is the link http://www.openoffice.org/ . From the looks and feels , it is much like MS-Office yet at no cost. I have even tried converting .htm files in it, a real success, the size remains almost same, unlike MSHTML which makes files very thick, and hence not suitable for webprojection. I wanted to share this information with you, now we can tell the outsourcer that we can work with openoffice, as it doesn´t entertain any CAT-Plug-ins, hence the whole work needs to be done manually. Call it price politics!!
greets
Brandis

[Edited at 2004-06-14 10:23]

[Edited at 2004-06-14 11:21]

Marc P (X)
Marc P (X)  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
New office tool !! Open office Vs. MS-Office Jun 14, 2004

Brandis,

> Today I came across something new, Openoffice <

OpenOffice.org isn't new. It was launched around two years ago.

> it doesn´t entertain any CAT-Plug-ins<

OOXlate is a plug-in CAT tool for OpenOffice.org. It's only recommended for the really adventurous though.

Marc

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thank you but where do I get it from Jun 14, 2004

MarcPrior wrote:

Brandis,

> Today I came across something new, Openoffice <

OpenOffice.org isn't new. It was launched around two years ago.

> it doesn´t entertain any CAT-Plug-ins<

OOXlate is a plug-in CAT tool for OpenOffice.org. It's only recommended for the really adventurous though.

Marc
Hi!thank you for the information, but where does one get it from
brandis

Marc P (X)
German to English
+ ...
thank you but where do I get it from Jun 14, 2004

http://translatewrite.com/ooxlate.html

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thank you Jun 14, 2004

MarcPrior wrote:

http://translatewrite.com/ooxlate.html[/quote]Hey ! thank you I have already checked and downloaded the required files, now trying to figure out the hows?? That is a very big site there.
thank you again
brandis

Marc P (X)
German to English
+ ...
Think twice Jun 14, 2004

Brandis,

I'd think twice about trying OOXlate if I were you, at least for the time being. In theory it will run on Windows but you'd have to be something of an IT wizard to set it up.

Marc

[Edited at 2004-06-14 19:44]

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I have setit up already Jun 14, 2004

MarcPrior wrote:

Brandis,

I'd think twice about trying OOXlate if I were you, at least for the time being. In theory it will run on Windows but you'd have to be something of an IT wizard to set it up.

Marc

[Edited at 2004-06-14 18:53]
Hi! Marc, I have set it up already, and it is running infact, but slow. I have checkedup your website too, very interesting. I am very old member at Sun portal.
brandis

Marc P (X)
German to English
+ ...
IT wizard Jun 15, 2004

Brandis wrote:

I have set it up already

Wow! I hereby declare you an IT wizard!

Can you tell what versions you are using of Perl, the Java SDK, the WSDK, OOo (version and language), and of your operating system?

Marc

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
well nothing special Jun 15, 2004

MarcPrior wrote:

Brandis wrote:

I have set it up already

Wow! I hereby declare you an IT wizard!

Can you tell what versions you are using of Perl, the Java SDK, the WSDK, OOo (version and language), and of your operating system?

Marc
HI! not a wizard and nothing special, I used to teach a few introductory courses in Java earlier, for the beginners. I shall send you the above information separately. I work also with Application server and Webgain, Database designing modules.
Greets
brandis

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

New office tool !! Open office Vs. MS-Office

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »