Thread poster: Anne Seerup
Anne Seerup
Anne Seerup
Ireland
Local time: 18:50
English to Danish
+ ...
Jun 11, 2004

Specs: IE 6.0/Filezilla, Win XP, DSL, (Router Zyxel prestige 6.30)

I have problems connecting to a clients ftp server where the files for translation are placed. I keep getting the message "Error in FTP folder" and something to do with missing access and timeout. I have already ticked the box "use passive ftp" under internet settings. And as password is not required.
It is rather strange, because I can connect to other ftp sites without any problems and I have tried to connect
... See more

I have problems connecting to a clients ftp server where the files for translation are placed. I keep getting the message "Error in FTP folder" and something to do with missing access and timeout. I have already ticked the box "use passive ftp" under internet settings. And as password is not required.
It is rather strange, because I can connect to other ftp sites without any problems and I have tried to connect via an ftp client as well as through explorer.
If necessary I can try and find out what the excact error message is in English as I only get the Danish one.
Since it is a very large project, it would be a lot of hassle having to send it via e-mail. Any suggestions would be applauded - as this is wrecking my head?
Collapse

Ivan Eikås Skjøstad
Ivan Eikås Skjøstad  Identity Verified
Norway
Local time: 19:50
Member (2002)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Try a free ftp client Jun 11, 2004

Since IE is not the best programme to use for this kind of downloading (If that is the case), I would use for instance Smart FTP ( found at www.smartftp.com ). This ftp client is very professional, and free for personal use.

It is also easy to set up and use.

Various security patches and standard setup in IE could cause problems simular to what you are describing, and when I have tried I
... See more
Since IE is not the best programme to use for this kind of downloading (If that is the case), I would use for instance Smart FTP ( found at www.smartftp.com ). This ftp client is very professional, and free for personal use.

It is also easy to set up and use.

Various security patches and standard setup in IE could cause problems simular to what you are describing, and when I have tried IE for this purpose problems downloading was very common.

Hope this helps, and good luck!

Collapse

Bianca Adriaensen
Bianca Adriaensen  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:50
English to Dutch
+ ...
Simple WS FTP version Jun 11, 2004

Anne Seerup wrote:

I have problems connecting to a clients ftp server where the files for translation are placed. I keep getting the message \"Error in FTP folder\" and something to do with missing access and timeout. I have already ticked the box \"use passive ftp\" under internet settings. And as password is not required.
It is rather strange, because I can connect to other ftp sites without any problems and I have tried to connect via an ftp client as well as through explorer.
If necessary I can try and find out what the excact error message is in English as I only get the Danish one.
Since it is a very large project, it would be a lot of hassle having to send it via e-mail. Any suggestions would be applauded - as this is wrecking my head?

I assume your client has a website hosted and guarded by himself or an administrator? In that case s/he can put up a \"client1@\" + website name... to create a file area (which takes only 2 minutes), with which you will be able to download files with a right mouse click or even a left mouse click button.... In all other cases: report the error to the client by e-mail and specify the error number (somewhere in the ftp log file there\'s an error number that you will be able to see while scrolling). Might even be that their server is harassed by bad connections during several specific hours per day....

Vladimir Shapovalov
Vladimir Shapovalov  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:50
Member (2003)
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
Could be something else... Jun 12, 2004

Dear Anne,

I have a case similar to yours, e.g. can connect to almost any FTP server, but not to the FTP server of a customer of mine. I sent the description of the error to the client and received the following instructions:

Hi Vlad,

The reason you cannot connect to our FTP server is that our FTP does a reverse lookup on your IP address. It then does a lookup on the host name to see if this equals the initial IP address, if they don't equal then the connection is refused. However, if there is no reverse lookup configured for the IP address, then the connection is accepted.

Please can you contact your ISP to see if they will allow forward lookups or disable reverse lookups.

It's possible that your case is similar to mine. I think your ISP or the client will be able to help you. For now I have to use dial-up connection to download from that server.

[Edited at 2004-06-12 08:55]

Anne Seerup
Anne Seerup
Ireland
Local time: 18:50
English to Danish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Solved Jun 12, 2004

The client just got on to me and it was only a typo in the ftp link he had given me. He did not see it until now - so a rather silly problem really. However, the time spent on solving it was not all wasted, as the problem was still present when trying to download through IE 6.0, but it works through SmartFTP (thanks).
Thanks for the advice from all of you.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Problem connecting to FTP server

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »