Thread poster: IrinaGM
IrinaGM
IrinaGM  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:33
English to Georgian
+ ...
May 30, 2004

I have a Sony VAIO laptop that came with Windows XP. My problem is that not many people use Microsoft Works so when I send the word files to other people and when they get opened with MS Word 95, 97, 98 or 2000, the documents look scrambled. I want to install Windows 2000 on my laptop but I don't want to get rid of Windows XP. I've heard that when you install the different version of the same program, the previous version gets automatically uninstalled. Is it true? If I install Windows 2000... See more
I have a Sony VAIO laptop that came with Windows XP. My problem is that not many people use Microsoft Works so when I send the word files to other people and when they get opened with MS Word 95, 97, 98 or 2000, the documents look scrambled. I want to install Windows 2000 on my laptop but I don't want to get rid of Windows XP. I've heard that when you install the different version of the same program, the previous version gets automatically uninstalled. Is it true? If I install Windows 2000, will Windows XP automatically unistall itself?

Thank you for your help.

[Edited at 2004-05-30 09:19]
Collapse

Shang
Shang
China
Local time: 20:33
English to Chinese
install Windows 2000 in a different folder May 30, 2004

You can follow screen instructions, and choose another folder to install Windows 2000. You'd better install it in another disk. This will not remove Windows XP, but you will have to choose which system you want to boot when powering your laptop on.

Doaa El Hefnawy
Doaa El Hefnawy  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:33
English to Arabic
+ ...
It is uninstalled May 30, 2004

If you install the Windows 2000, you will no longer be able to use the XP. The only way for you to have both operating systems working on the same computer is that first you install Windows 2000 and then you install Windows XP. Mind you that when you attempt to install the Windows XP again you will be asked if you want to upgrade, do not choose this option. What you want to do is a new installation so that you get two separate operating systems and you can choose between them at startup. I do no... See more
If you install the Windows 2000, you will no longer be able to use the XP. The only way for you to have both operating systems working on the same computer is that first you install Windows 2000 and then you install Windows XP. Mind you that when you attempt to install the Windows XP again you will be asked if you want to upgrade, do not choose this option. What you want to do is a new installation so that you get two separate operating systems and you can choose between them at startup. I do not know of any way to avoid the uninstallation of Windows XP even if you use separate drives because I think the 2000 just overwrites the installation of the XP and you will find that though the XP might appear as an option at startup you will still be led to the 2000.Collapse

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 13:33
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
Er... May 30, 2004

Sorry, but I don't quite understand your problem. Why install another operating system? You should just install MS Office and use "normal" Word and stop using Works, that's all. Word is part of MS Office and not of the Windows operating system.

[Edited at 2004-05-30 10:06]

Phakawat Padungsil
Phakawat Padungsil  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 19:33
Member (2004)
English to Thai
+ ...
Go for MS office May 30, 2004

The best solution for you is , What Natalie said.Get a MS Office either a most popular MS Office XP or a latest MS Office 2003 . Both of them can run flawlessly on Windows XP .

so, you want to have double OS installed on one machine May 30, 2004

This is not a problem at all. But, I don't know how experienced you are to do that. If you think that you might not do this job, have a pro making this job instead.
If you think you can, then install software called Partition Magic, and divide your hard drive into two, or more partitions (max recommended three). After you do this part of the job, you will see that you have your primary partition C: and other partitions D:, E:, F:, etc. while determining the size of the partition, take care
... See more
This is not a problem at all. But, I don't know how experienced you are to do that. If you think that you might not do this job, have a pro making this job instead.
If you think you can, then install software called Partition Magic, and divide your hard drive into two, or more partitions (max recommended three). After you do this part of the job, you will see that you have your primary partition C: and other partitions D:, E:, F:, etc. while determining the size of the partition, take care of the minimum requirements for the size of free space on your hard drive for successful installation of WIN 2000, i.e. depending on the overall hard drive capacity installed on your laptop, I recommend that you specify the size of 6-8 GB for the partition intended to host WIN 2000. You can make partitions on the hard drive implementing other procedures and using other software as well, but this is the most convenient for inexperienced people.
I do not recommend installation of WIN 2000 on the same partition as WIN XP, and really do not want to confuse you with explanations.
So, after partition job is done, restart your PC and make some changes in BIOS related to booting drives option. Leave only CD drive as the only one bootable, save your changes, exit BIOS and proceed. Insert bootable WIN 2000 CD into CD drive and proceed with installation process. Make sure that installation path should start with the letter different than partition C:, and the rest will be easy. After whole job is done, at the first restart, you will be prompted with option to chose which OS you want to load up and work in.
Good luck, and all the best.
Collapse

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:33
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Do you mean WORD 2000? May 30, 2004

I have recently bought a new computer which came with Windows XP. I have a stand-alone copy of Word 2000 on a CD and I was able to install and use it with no problems whatsoever.

Clarisa Moraña
Clarisa Moraña  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:33
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
What you need is to install Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and so on) May 31, 2004

-Irina- wrote:

My problem is that not many people use Microsoft Works so when I send the word files to other people and when they get opened with MS Word 95, 97, 98 or 2000, the documents look scrambled. [Edited at 2004-05-30 09:19]

Hi, Irina

Apparently you are translating using an Office word processor that comes with Microsoft Works sotware (which is not the same as Microsoft Office, the one that includes MS Word, MS Power Point and MS Excel). That's why your clients are not able to open your translations: they are using another word processor. I would recommend you not to uninstall XP but to buy MS Office.

Regards,

Clarisa Moraña

PAS
PAS  Identity Verified
Polish to English
+ ...
And last but not least May 31, 2004

To answer the question literally:

It is possible to install two (or many) systems on one computer. When booting, the computer will ask which system run and switch to the default system if no selection is made within XX seconds.

You must ask someone competent for help to do this.

Pawel Skalinski

IrinaGM
IrinaGM  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:33
English to Georgian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you all for your help May 31, 2004

Thank you all for your help. As I understand, I can install Word 2000 (not the whole office) on my laptop and it will not interfere with or uninstall my Windows XP.

Thanks again,
Irina

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
Of course, you can! May 31, 2004

-Irina- wrote:
As I understand, I can install Word 2000 (not the whole office) on my laptop and it will not interfere with or uninstall my Windows XP.
Irina

Insert the Office 2K disk and don't forget to choose CUSTOM INSTALLATION. You will be able to choose only the components you need.

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:33
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
You don't need the whole Office suite May 31, 2004

Unless things have changed in the past three years, you should be able to get Word 2000, or a later version of Word, on a CD (as I did) or maybe even download it, if you have Broadband. It's a bit cheaper than the entire Office suite, but if you think you may at some stage need PowerPoint, Excel etc., it would probably be worth getting the whole thing.

Victor Wang
Victor Wang
China
Local time: 20:33
Repair or back up your registry Jun 9, 2004

-Irina- wrote:

I have a Sony VAIO laptop that came with Windows XP. My problem is that not many people use Microsoft Works so when I send the word files to other people and when they get opened with MS Word 95, 97, 98 or 2000, the documents look scrambled. I want to install Windows 2000 on my laptop but I don\'t want to get rid of Windows XP. I\'ve heard that when you install the different version of the same program, the previous version gets automatically uninstalled. Is it true? If I install Windows 2000, will Windows XP automatically unistall itself?

Thank you for your help.

[Edited at 2004-05-30 09:19]

The Windows XP will not automatically unistall itself. If you install another version of the Windows XP on the computer, you will find that many programs cannot be used again and you have to re-install them all. If you want to reinstall WinXP while keeping all the existing application program operable, repair you WinXP by booting from the CD-ROM and select \"Repair\". Another way is to back up your registry before you format the partition(usually C) where Windows is installed.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Installing Windows 2000

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »