NancyLynn
Canada
Local time: 21:09
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...

May 25, 2004

Hi everyone
It's me, now, so bear with me if I fail to include an important detail... I'm out of my depth here.
I run Windows XP Pro, Outlook Express, Office 2000, Trados 5.5 FL, and usually have Termium and 5 Outlook windows on the go while translating, keeping up with proz, researching, etc.
Usually everything is fine.
Last week I added an update from the Symantec Norton AntiVirus site at their suggestion
... See more
Hi everyone
It's me, now, so bear with me if I fail to include an important detail... I'm out of my depth here.
I run Windows XP Pro, Outlook Express, Office 2000, Trados 5.5 FL, and usually have Termium and 5 Outlook windows on the go while translating, keeping up with proz, researching, etc.
Usually everything is fine.
Last week I added an update from the Symantec Norton AntiVirus site at their suggestion, which restarted my machine. Now, everything is so slow, I'm sure at 25% of my previous speed.
I ran AdAware then Defrag but am still in ultra slow-mo. Most times I can't even get a response from GDT, my Bible. Proz too is excruciatingly slow.
My CPU Usage is consistently at 100%, another new development.
What can I do? And what info are you missing so you can help me ?
TIA
Nancy
Collapse

00000000 (X)
00000000 (X)
English to French
+ ...
Disable some services (Administrative tools) May 25, 2004

It seems to me that you have some high-consumption tasks unnecessarily launched at startup. If you haven't streamlined your XP already, you should do so. There are lots of web pages about disabling the unused services. Just do a google search with "xp disable services". Incredibly enough, Microsoft sets the defaults as if you were to run a server on a network.

Best,
Esther

Florence Bremond
Florence Bremond  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 03:09
Member (2002)
English to French
+ ...
Heavy antiviruses - an experience May 25, 2004

Dear Nancy
As you may already know I have been compelled to buy a brand new computer on last Monday in emergency ..
It was sold with Norton, and seemed to me rather slow. In Tag Editor it was awful, about three words were written on the screen when I had indeed typed about 10.
I removed Norton, and took the occasion to try the new Panda Internet Security.
It was even worse, even with the minimum options turned on (antivirus and firewall).
I removed Panda Internet
... See more
Dear Nancy
As you may already know I have been compelled to buy a brand new computer on last Monday in emergency ..
It was sold with Norton, and seemed to me rather slow. In Tag Editor it was awful, about three words were written on the screen when I had indeed typed about 10.
I removed Norton, and took the occasion to try the new Panda Internet Security.
It was even worse, even with the minimum options turned on (antivirus and firewall).
I removed Panda Internet Security and simply installed my good old Panda 7 Platinum yesterday - like a miracle, the snail turned into a Ferrari

In short, it seems to me very possible that your antivirus is guilty.
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
I experienced the same some time ago May 25, 2004

It took ages for Word to open documents...
Which NAV do you use?
In my case it turned better after installin NAV and NIS 2004.
My PC operates quite fast now, but I think it is because I have a quite fast machine...

If I were you I would either upgrade to the lates NAV or go for Oddies solution.

Regards
Jerzy

sarahl (X)
sarahl (X)
Local time: 18:09
English to French
+ ...
Norton is probably the culprit May 25, 2004

Hi Nanc!
I also have XP pro, and it has become MUCH faster since I desinstalled Norton and installed AVG instead, not to mention better protected.
Also, as signora Ishtar pointed out, you can probably do with a lot of unnecessary stuff, eg powerpoint froufrou templates such as checklists to pack your bags, so forth.
My 2 eurocents worth
Sarah

Roberto Cavalcanti
Roberto Cavalcanti  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 22:09
English to Portuguese
Optimise the Register May 25, 2004

Hi Nancy

Whenever you add a software to your computer it has to make some inclusions on the Windows Register, some times these additions are made in a way that makes your computer slower.
To correct that you have to run any Register Optimization Tool like the one on Norton SystemWorks. If you have it in your computer run the OneButton Checkup and see if it restores speed.
Good Luck
Roberto

Hynek Palatin
Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2003)
English to Czech
+ ...
Wait for another update May 25, 2004

Check the Symantec web site, maybe they will have more information. They will probably release a new update soon, if the last one slows computers down. I think it has already happened before.

You mentioned the CPU usage, so you probably know how to open the Task Manager. Have a look at the Processes tab to find the proces with the highest CPU load.

Narasimhan Raghavan
Narasimhan Raghavan  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:39
English to Tamil
+ ...
In memoriam
How about switching over to AVG 6.0 ? May 26, 2004

It is free of cost unlike Norton and the updates are frequent, so that you are never out of date. Check their Website for free downloads. It now appears that AVG 7.0 too has come up but it is not free. I get very good service with the free version of AVG 6.0. It is meant for single computers only, it seems.

What is more important, touchwood, there has been no slowing down of the computer.

Regards,
N.Raghavan

suggestion May 27, 2004

disbale all NAV autostart options. Under NAV main windows, click on options banner to load up the window with options, disable all things that are ticked for autostart options, restart your PC, and you might see some improvement. In addition, upgrade your RAM to 1 GB capacity.

NancyLynn
NancyLynn
Canada
Local time: 21:09
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...

TOPIC STARTER
Thanks everyone May 28, 2004

I went back to the Symantec website and downloaded their newest update, small improvement but nothing really good.

As for other solutions offered, they sound good but i'm the ultimate technobimbo and don't even know what NAV is...

Yes, Hynek, I know how to look at the Task Manager - I just don't know what to do with the info. I followed Esther's suggestion of looking at services, but when I get to that pag
... See more
I went back to the Symantec website and downloaded their newest update, small improvement but nothing really good.

As for other solutions offered, they sound good but i'm the ultimate technobimbo and don't even know what NAV is...

Yes, Hynek, I know how to look at the Task Manager - I just don't know what to do with the info. I followed Esther's suggestion of looking at services, but when I get to that page I don't know what I can safely turn off or eliminate, like Sarah's mention of frou-frou templates no one needs. Where to find, how to eliminate safaely? I wish I knew more about it...

I'll likely be bothering you all again next week, when I receive my Inspiron laptop from Dell

Nancy
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

PC slooooooow after anti-virus update

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »