Sonja Tomaskovic (X)
Sonja Tomaskovic (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 04:27
English to German
+ ...
May 2, 2004

Hello,

I have searched the fora for previous discussions, but couldn't find any, so I suppose this issue hasn't been brought up yet.

I bought a new laptop with WinXP. The laptop came with a lot of default settings and stuff that I don't need, and it took me a while to disable some features. I have removed everything that has been listed under autostart, but it still needs ages to load the user settings etc.

I have heard about various modification utilities
... See more
Hello,

I have searched the fora for previous discussions, but couldn't find any, so I suppose this issue hasn't been brought up yet.

I bought a new laptop with WinXP. The laptop came with a lot of default settings and stuff that I don't need, and it took me a while to disable some features. I have removed everything that has been listed under autostart, but it still needs ages to load the user settings etc.

I have heard about various modification utilities, and would like to hear any recommendations from your side. Is there anything useful out there that can speed up the loading process? Any other tips?

TIA.

Sonja

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2004-05-02 22:16]
Collapse

Computer running slow May 2, 2004

Make sure your computer has at least 100MB of hard disk drive space. If your computer has less then 1000MB it may cause the computer to operate more slowly.
Run Microsoft Scandisk and Defrag on the computer.
Close any programs that are running in the background and/or disable background programs from automatically loading each time your computer boots.
Click Start, Search, and click For Files or Folders in the search window search for a file named *.tmp and make sure you a
... See more
Make sure your computer has at least 100MB of hard disk drive space. If your computer has less then 1000MB it may cause the computer to operate more slowly.
Run Microsoft Scandisk and Defrag on the computer.
Close any programs that are running in the background and/or disable background programs from automatically loading each time your computer boots.
Click Start, Search, and click For Files or Folders in the search window search for a file named *.tmp and make sure you are searching or looking in the local C: drive. Once search has completed delete any files found.
Ensure that no errors on conflicts exist in the device manager.
Make sure Windows XP is up to date by checking Microsoft Windows update page.
Ensure your computer has the latest drivers for the hardware devices installed in your computer.
If your computer has a virus protection program installed make sure it is up to date and that no viruses are being detected. If your computer does not have a virus protection program you may wish to consider installing a program to make sure no viruses are causing your problems.
If your computer has worked fine n the past but recently has been experiencing the issue you're encountering run the System Restore option to restore the computer to an earlier date.

One tool you can use to help you diagnose a slow booting system is BootVis, available from this link http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/system/sysperf/fastboot/bootvis.mspx
BootVis logs everything that's done during a normal shutdown/startup cycle. The log can be used to help diagnose why a given system is booting slowly. While it's not a golden key into the realm of the XP boot loader, it is a tremendously helpful tool to have in your arsenal.

Sve najbolje
Collapse

Stephen Franke
Stephen Franke
United States
Local time: 19:27
English to Arabic
+ ...
Re-install XP and/or add more memory May 2, 2004

Greetings.

You might re-install MS Windows XP (save your data files and do a "clean install") and/or add more memory. Then reinstall the applications you most need to use in conducting your business.

Both steps greatly helped solve similar problems with my set-up of Windows XP Pro, which previously dragged and sagged in my laptop at boot-up.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Stephen H. Franke
(English Arabic,
Kurdish and F
... See more
Greetings.

You might re-install MS Windows XP (save your data files and do a "clean install") and/or add more memory. Then reinstall the applications you most need to use in conducting your business.

Both steps greatly helped solve similar problems with my set-up of Windows XP Pro, which previously dragged and sagged in my laptop at boot-up.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Stephen H. Franke
(English Arabic,
Kurdish and Farsi)
San Pedro, California
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Please specify more details about your laptop May 2, 2004

In addition to above suggestions you can download PowerToys from MS homepage http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/downloads/powertoys.asp to tune up your system.

But don't expect wonder. Windows XP needs time to load, even if MS promises XP would load faster than other systems.
I use a very fast system and it still needs a lot of time to load XP fully.... See more
In addition to above suggestions you can download PowerToys from MS homepage http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/downloads/powertoys.asp to tune up your system.

But don't expect wonder. Windows XP needs time to load, even if MS promises XP would load faster than other systems.
I use a very fast system and it still needs a lot of time to load XP fully.

Any virus scanner and/or firewall loaded needs a lot of time.

Without knowing more about your laptop it is impossible to give you advices, which would really help. It's somehow as going through a forrest in the middle of the moonless night without a torch or other light...

Regards
Jerzy
Collapse

Sonja Tomaskovic (X)
Sonja Tomaskovic (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you May 4, 2004

Thank you all for your valuable comments.

However, re-installing the whole thing is no option for me, as everything else is working fine.

The tool Jerzy suggested works only with US-English regional settings. Although changing them is no big deal, I am currently reluctant to install something that isn't working with my configuration.

My husband had another look at the laptop. It seems that with a PCMCIA WLAN card and a wireless keyboard/mouse there can't b
... See more
Thank you all for your valuable comments.

However, re-installing the whole thing is no option for me, as everything else is working fine.

The tool Jerzy suggested works only with US-English regional settings. Although changing them is no big deal, I am currently reluctant to install something that isn't working with my configuration.

My husband had another look at the laptop. It seems that with a PCMCIA WLAN card and a wireless keyboard/mouse there can't be done that much as the system needs to load the necessary components. This, and the fact that it takes a few moments to check the WLAN connection seem to be limiting factors.

Again, thank you all for your kind help.

Sonja

[Edited at 2004-05-04 12:52]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

WinXP boots very slowly - any tips?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »