Arben Seva  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:52
Member (2003)
English to Albanian
+ ...
Apr 2, 2004

Hi
I use windows XP with Service Pack 1a. One of my clients is offering me a potential localization project for which he requires the NT 4.0 Service Pack 3 or higher. Is there any way to check the equivalence of these two service packs? Will the XP cover these requirments? Any idea or suggestion is appreciated.

Kind regards,

Arben

Camaxilo
Camaxilo  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:52
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Service pack 3 is needed to handle MSO2K3. XP should be fine, I use it. Apr 2, 2004

Arben Seva wrote:

Hi
I use windows XP with Service Pack 1a. One of my clients is offering me a potential localization project for which he requires the NT 4.0 Service Pack 3 or higher. Is there any way to check the equivalence of these two service packs? Will the XP cover these requirments? Any idea or suggestion is appreciated.

Kind regards,

Arben

[Edited at 2004-04-02 01:35]

[Edited at 2004-04-02 01:39]

[Edited at 2004-04-02 01:41]

Massimo Rippa
Massimo Rippa  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 16:52
English to Italian
+ ...
I think that there will be no problem.. Apr 2, 2004

Arben Seva wrote:

One of my clients is offering me a potential localization project for which he requires the NT 4.0 Service Pack 3 or higher.

As your client says "or higher", I think that your OS fully covers this requirement. XP uses tha same file system of NT and could be considered as the updated version of NT (and 2000). Also, I think that the service pack 1 shouldn't be "less updated" than the SP3 for NT.
Best
Massimo

Andrzej Lejman
Andrzej Lejman  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
German to Polish
+ ...
This is a misunderstanding Apr 2, 2004

The first release of NT4 had some bugs and missing functionalities; bugs have been fixed and functionalities added with cinsecuteve SPacks.
You don't have to worry about SPacks of NT having Windows XP.
The more important thing is that fore some reasons you may need to have NTFS file system. This file system is supported by XP, but it depends on which file system you have choosen at the instalation - FAT32 or NT.
So aks only the customer if NTFS file system matters or not.
... See more
The first release of NT4 had some bugs and missing functionalities; bugs have been fixed and functionalities added with cinsecuteve SPacks.
You don't have to worry about SPacks of NT having Windows XP.
The more important thing is that fore some reasons you may need to have NTFS file system. This file system is supported by XP, but it depends on which file system you have choosen at the instalation - FAT32 or NT.
So aks only the customer if NTFS file system matters or not.
Best regards
Andrzej
Collapse

Arthur Jacobson
Arthur Jacobson  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
XP should be more than enough. Apr 2, 2004

NT with SP3 is ages old. NT has meanwhile reached SP6a, and that was before XP was released, thus XP could be considered over qualified for the job. Unless the program you´re to work with is some weird, exotic construction, you´ll be fine with what you´ve got. XP, even without SP1, is more advanced than NT+SP6a.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

XP Service Pack and NT Service Pack

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »