Thread poster: Marcus Malabad
Marcus Malabad
Marcus Malabad  Identity Verified
Canada
German to English
+ ...
Mar 24, 2011

Hello everyone,

Does anyone know whether there is a workaround or patch that I can acquire so that I can install DV3 (or Trados or Star Transit) on a new laptop running on 64-bit Windows 7? I tried installing DV3 recently on a Window 7 laptop and I got an error message stating that I need a software version that's compatible with a 64-bit environment. I'm sure it would be the same for Trados...

TIA

Marcus

Manticore (X)
Manticore (X)  Identity Verified

Local time: 04:48
English to German
+ ...
Never run Mar 24, 2011

a 32 bit application on a 64 bit OS. Well, not quite. There are quite a few 32 programmes running well under Win 7 64 bit. However, in a production environment like yours it's dangerous since CAT tools could have software components that behave almost like hardware drivers. These drivers need to be 64 bit or the software won't work. I can only urge translators using CAT tool not to use 64 bit Win to be on the safe side.

Katalin Horváth McClure
Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:48
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
There may be a solution Mar 24, 2011

Marcus,
I am running Trados (2007 Freelance version) on a 64-bit Windows 7 computer, without problems.

Trados itself installed immediately, Multiterm gave me the same error message you mentioned, but as it turns out that was only the stupid installer.
One of our colleagues wrote a step-by-step guide for a workaround.
It worked for me very well, as it did for many others.
You may want to give it a try.
<
... See more
Marcus,
I am running Trados (2007 Freelance version) on a 64-bit Windows 7 computer, without problems.

Trados itself installed immediately, Multiterm gave me the same error message you mentioned, but as it turns out that was only the stupid installer.
One of our colleagues wrote a step-by-step guide for a workaround.
It worked for me very well, as it did for many others.
You may want to give it a try.

http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/123305-how_to_install_multiterm_2007_on_vista_64_howto.html

Katalin

[Edited at 2011-03-24 13:58 GMT]
Collapse

Wolfgang Jörissen
Wolfgang Jörissen  Identity Verified
Belize
Dutch to German
+ ...
Virtual machine?? Mar 24, 2011

Run a Windows XP version on a virtual machine (with VMware or something similar). I use this for Trados 2007 and Transit Satellite and it works just fine. Haven't tested it on DV3 though, but even that should work, including dongle recognition.

Katalin Horváth McClure
Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:48
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Transit Satellite PE also runs fine Mar 24, 2011

I forgot to mention that Transit Satellite PE also runs fine on 64-bit Windows 7. It installed without any tricks.
Katalin

VIBOL KEO
VIBOL KEO  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:48
Member (2009)
English to Khmer (Central)
Virtual Machine... Mar 26, 2011

Hi Wolfgang,

Great to finding your suggestion. We have used the same virtual machine, VMWare...

However, I am wondering whether we could increase RAM on it...

Great weekend!

Cleartrans
Cleartrans  Identity Verified
Belgium
English to Flemish
+ ...
No problem here with Wordfast and Across Mar 26, 2011

I'm running Wordfast Pro (+Classic) and Across Personal Edition on Windows 7 64 without any trouble. Both are installed in the (x86) folder.

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
Trados Mar 26, 2011

I am running Trados 2007 and Studio 2009 on a Windows 7 64 bit machine without any problems.

Nurettin Ceylan
Nurettin Ceylan  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 05:48
Member (2009)
English to Turkish
Trados on a Win-7 64 bit system Mar 26, 2011

Trados 2007 works just fine on a 64 bit Win-7 platform, but I was not able to install my old 6.5 version on it. I am not sure if the virtual machine thing can solve the problem. My Win-7 does not have the virtual machine anyway. It is the home-basic edition.

[Değişiklik saati 2011-03-27 11:24 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Windows 7 and CAT tools

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »