Thread poster: Madeleine MacRae Klintebo
Madeleine MacRae Klintebo
Madeleine MacRae Klintebo  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:05
Swedish to English
+ ...
Feb 14, 2011

I work on a Mac with a VM Fusion partition. Through my in-house position, I can download a fully functional Office 2010 for a very discounted rate. Before doing this, I'm considering updating my Windows OS from XP. I have a legal way of doing this at very reasonable rate - either Ultimate or Professional (Home is not an option for this offer).

Currently I have Windows XP on this partition with Office 2000.

Should I go for the cheaper, and possibly less heavy option, or
... See more
I work on a Mac with a VM Fusion partition. Through my in-house position, I can download a fully functional Office 2010 for a very discounted rate. Before doing this, I'm considering updating my Windows OS from XP. I have a legal way of doing this at very reasonable rate - either Ultimate or Professional (Home is not an option for this offer).

Currently I have Windows XP on this partition with Office 2000.

Should I go for the cheaper, and possibly less heavy option, or choose Professional? From the comparison it looks like the only differences between Ultimate and Professional is that the latter includes BitLocker (whatever that is) and multi-lingual support.

Any thoughts appreciated.
Collapse

Michal Glowacki
Michal Glowacki  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 09:05
Member (2010)
English to Polish
+ ...
Other way round Feb 14, 2011

Just for clarification: Professional is the "lower" version and Ultimate is the higher one. So Ultimate has multilingual GUI and BitLocker, not professional.

United Kingdom
Swedish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
My mistake, you're correct. Feb 14, 2011

Michal Glowacki wrote:

Just for clarification: Professional is the "lower" version and Ultimate is the higher one. So Ultimate has multilingual GUI and BitLocker, not professional.

Professional is the lower, cheaper option.

Still, is there any good reason for me to opt for Ultimate? Considering it's only for a partition I mainly use for MemoQ. In what way a multilingual GUI be worth it?

Subhankar Chakrabarty
Subhankar Chakrabarty  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 12:35
Member (2009)
English to Bengali
+ ...
Considering the usage Professional is good option Feb 15, 2011

I recommend Professional. Since Bitlocker or Multilingual GUI may not be that much important from the usage viewpoint (though I don't know your usage stat completely).

So far Multilingual GUI concern - it is not usually needed in a single user system. You can add/change/use different languages input method with Professional Service Pack updates and that's the important usage in language/translation industry.
As for the Bitlocker - you may know it's a drive encryption feature,
... See more
I recommend Professional. Since Bitlocker or Multilingual GUI may not be that much important from the usage viewpoint (though I don't know your usage stat completely).

So far Multilingual GUI concern - it is not usually needed in a single user system. You can add/change/use different languages input method with Professional Service Pack updates and that's the important usage in language/translation industry.
As for the Bitlocker - you may know it's a drive encryption feature, you must decide whether you really need it very much.

Otherwise, why should you go for Ultimate?
Collapse

ATIL KAYHAN
ATIL KAYHAN  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 10:05
Member (2007)
Turkish to English
+ ...
Name of Windows OS Feb 15, 2011

Is the newest Windows operating system called just Windows? I lost track...

Daniel García
Daniel García
English to Spanish
+ ...
Windows 7 Ultimate, no question Feb 15, 2011

I had to do the same choice and for me it was a no-brainer: for only 20 dollars more you get the multilingual interface and the embedded encryption functionality.

Admittedly you can also get the encryption from third-party tools (like TrueCrypt) but it is handy to have it in the OS.

For me the key driver was the Multilingual interface. I have found it useful in more than one way:

- I can use my PC with any langage inteface. I tend to use my PC with the lang
... See more
I had to do the same choice and for me it was a no-brainer: for only 20 dollars more you get the multilingual interface and the embedded encryption functionality.

Admittedly you can also get the encryption from third-party tools (like TrueCrypt) but it is handy to have it in the OS.

For me the key driver was the Multilingual interface. I have found it useful in more than one way:

- I can use my PC with any langage inteface. I tend to use my PC with the languages I am learning in order to make sure I practice them.

- I can check easily and quickly what some Windows 7 feature is called in any langage.

- We share the PCs across different family members, so it's good that each person can use it in the language they want.

I would see this as a great convenience for a very low price.

Regarding performance, both Professional and Ultimate editions of Windows 7 should be identical as these are the only two differences.

On the other hand, if you would rather spend 20 dollars on something else and don't need these features, just go for the Professional edition.

Daniel
Collapse

United Kingdom
Swedish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you all Feb 21, 2011

Considering this is only for a partition on a Mac, I think i'll go with suvankarc's suggestion of Professional.

@Daniel - I have no problem with spending an extra £20 (that's pounds rather than dollars), but as I work mainly on the Mac interface, I'm more worried about stuffing my hard disc full of unnecessary features rather than spending a few measly pounds.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Windows Ultimate or Professional?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »