Change of Language when upgrading Win / ????
Thread poster: Helga Humlova
Helga Humlova
Helga Humlova  Identity Verified
Austria
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
Jan 23, 2011

Just got myself a new Toshiba A660 laptop. Bought in Prague, so the pre-installed Win7 Home Premium talks to me in Czech. Even though I do speak that language, I would prefer to have my operating system talk German to me.

Now I am wondering whether any of you guys knows whether or not I can change the language when I buy an upgrade to Win7 Professional. Don´t want to buy the German version (which I could do instantly) and than figure out that this would not work.
I know that
... See more
Just got myself a new Toshiba A660 laptop. Bought in Prague, so the pre-installed Win7 Home Premium talks to me in Czech. Even though I do speak that language, I would prefer to have my operating system talk German to me.

Now I am wondering whether any of you guys knows whether or not I can change the language when I buy an upgrade to Win7 Professional. Don´t want to buy the German version (which I could do instantly) and than figure out that this would not work.
I know that Win7 Ultimate speaks all languages, so here a change of languages should be possible, but I do not want to invest that kind of money if the Professional version would do.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!
Collapse

Ulf Samuelsson
Ulf Samuelsson  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 11:22
Member (2007)
English to Swedish
+ ...
Only Ultimate and Enterprise are multilingual Jan 24, 2011

Changing interface language is only available for Win 7 Ultimate and Win 7 Enterprise.

In the past, I've tried to upgrade from Spanish XP SP 1 to Swedish XP SP 2, but it just caused a mess because the folder names are different for installed programs (though this isn't an issue with Win 7 as the folder "Program Files" is replaced with the translated name only in the visible interface, not in the folder structure on the hard drive. It always remain as "Program Files" on the hard driv
... See more
Changing interface language is only available for Win 7 Ultimate and Win 7 Enterprise.

In the past, I've tried to upgrade from Spanish XP SP 1 to Swedish XP SP 2, but it just caused a mess because the folder names are different for installed programs (though this isn't an issue with Win 7 as the folder "Program Files" is replaced with the translated name only in the visible interface, not in the folder structure on the hard drive. It always remain as "Program Files" on the hard drive, no matter which language you install and use (if you use another file program than Windows Explorer, you'll see "Program Files" as the folder name and the translated version is only a shortcut name that will take you to "Program Files". That is what makes it possible to change the interface language in Win 7.

Even so, I'm not sure that an upgrade to German Win 7 Pro can be done from Czech Win 7 Home. The upgrade program might not run if the installation languages aren't the same, or you might end up with a Czech Win 7 core UI and only the added Pro features in German...
Collapse

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 18:22
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Thank you so much, Ulf Jan 24, 2011

Ulf Samuelsson wrote:
the folder "Program Files" is replaced with the translated name only in the visible interface, not in the folder structure on the hard drive.

I recently changed to Win 7, French version, and this had me tearing my hair out last week! I finally came to the conclusion that the two files must be one and the same but it is VERY confusing to be told one thing in one place and something totally different elsewhere.

Thanks for the confirmation that all is well in my computer!

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 19:22
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Switching interface language is possible Jan 24, 2011

and works for Windows Ultimate and (I think) Professional.
In any case you can upgrade from some versions of Windows (I do not know the exact possibilities, you need to check on MS homepage - go to Control panel - System and click on Update there).
For sure it is possible to update from a localized Home Premium version to the same localized and the same 32-bit or 64-bit Ultimate version. This is what I've done - from Home Premium 64-bit German to Ultimate 64-bit German.
Now I c
... See more
and works for Windows Ultimate and (I think) Professional.
In any case you can upgrade from some versions of Windows (I do not know the exact possibilities, you need to check on MS homepage - go to Control panel - System and click on Update there).
For sure it is possible to update from a localized Home Premium version to the same localized and the same 32-bit or 64-bit Ultimate version. This is what I've done - from Home Premium 64-bit German to Ultimate 64-bit German.
Now I can switch the GUI to Polish or English as desired.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Change of Language when upgrading Win / ????

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »