Thread poster: Francoise Perigaut
FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:31
English to Hungarian
+ ...
many small things Dec 2, 2010

Ulf Samuelsson wrote:

I still haven't found any specific reason for using Win 7 rather than Win XP.

Has anyone else found any really useful feature that is only found in Win 7?

Apart from the security improvements* I think that XP is showing its age, and Win7 manages to improve on many small things.
The drag-to-resize window management is great (drag to top & sides of screen), it's great that you can now drag & drop to reorder items in the tray and that the tray shows the progress of downloads and other operations, proper support for SSD drives is a gondsend to me, and the new all-system search is the best thing since sliced bread (the start menu search finds both applications, system settings and files - Google desktop did much the same, but having it baked in is nice).
I'm sure there are literally thousands of small improvements like this that I don't know about.
Can't comment on general speed and stability, I have only started using it. It's wicked fast on a last-gen SSD now that the installer partitions SSDs correctly, I can tell you that...

* For instance, XP can be infected by a tainted USB flash drive even if you do nothing but plug it in. Win7 does away with autoplay for flash drives so malware can't just hop on your computer without your "help". I'm sure there are a million small changes like that, as the annoying UAC amply demonstrates. When it comes to UAC, Vista was a total train wreck - everyone just disabled the damn thing, it was so annoying. It wouldn't let you copy files within the Documents folder without a million warning popups. With Win7, they managed to crank the annoyance factor down to a tolerable level with default settings, so UAC stays on for most users.

Anton Konashenok
Anton Konashenok  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
French to English
+ ...
Useful features Dec 3, 2010

Ulf, on properly tuned systems, application speed should be roughly the same in XP and in Win 7. Don't expect any performance gains from an upgrade.
As to great useful features of Win 7, I'd probably emphasize two.
One is the search function in the Start menu. I don' t know exactly how it is implemented, but it is amazingly fast, and it searches not only by file name but also by content, including PDF files. It is a lot better than any third-party file search utilities I know.
... See more
Ulf, on properly tuned systems, application speed should be roughly the same in XP and in Win 7. Don't expect any performance gains from an upgrade.
As to great useful features of Win 7, I'd probably emphasize two.
One is the search function in the Start menu. I don' t know exactly how it is implemented, but it is amazingly fast, and it searches not only by file name but also by content, including PDF files. It is a lot better than any third-party file search utilities I know.
The other is security. It's not just the User Account Control; in Win 7, MS finally got the default file and directory permissions right. Just this alone decreases the chance of virus infection by a significant factor. The built-in Windows Defender and the free downloadable Security Essentials provide additional malware protection without consuming a lot of system resources (unlike e.g. Kaspersky).
Overall, with version 7, MS Windows has finally become a mature and self-sufficient operating system, with more or less all the functions you can reasonably expect from one, like DEC OpenVMS in 1990s or IBM MVS in 1970s.

Farkas, infection through autorun on USB drives was disabled back in Win XP SP3.
Collapse

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Thanks Dec 3, 2010

Anton Konashenok wrote:

Farkas, infection through autorun on USB drives was disabled back in Win XP SP3.

Thanks, I didn't know that. The rest of your post was good info, too.

DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
both Feb 3, 2011

I've got the two: XP SP3 PRO x32 and W7 Home Premium x64, so I think I have the right to express my IMO)

Let me see the minimum hardware requirements... some 2GB+ for the swapfile, some 17GB for that infamous System Recovery (which is no match for Acronis), some 10GB for the pre-install partition, 16GB takes the OS itself and some 100GB for reserve... Ain't it funny to give away some 150GB to a clean OS only to play with it?

FYI: XP SP3 takes some 1GB, but I'm r
... See more
I've got the two: XP SP3 PRO x32 and W7 Home Premium x64, so I think I have the right to express my IMO)

Let me see the minimum hardware requirements... some 2GB+ for the swapfile, some 17GB for that infamous System Recovery (which is no match for Acronis), some 10GB for the pre-install partition, 16GB takes the OS itself and some 100GB for reserve... Ain't it funny to give away some 150GB to a clean OS only to play with it?

FYI: XP SP3 takes some 1GB, but I'm really doubt W7 is 16x better than XP)
In general, the OS is quite ok, but no buying craze for me--bought it with my new PC and it works almost as fast as my oldie XP on my old one.

Also it appears that:
1) for x64 benefits the user MUST use x64-drivers and x64-software only;
2) for 3GB+ benefit the user MUST use 3GB-ready special software;
3) MS so hyped-up UAC is even not equal to SuRun;
4) W7 virtual sandbox suxx comparing to SandBoxIE;
5) W7 XP Mode is... XP SP3 itself (requires additional 1GB of RAM and additional 15GB HDD);
Let alone some useful, but old hardware missing support... Billy, what's up?!

IMO the only W7 benefit is DirectX 10+ support... And Aero for girls and children

BTW our Admin runs MS Windows Server 2003 x32 with 16GB no problem.
Collapse

Wolf Kux
Wolf Kux  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 10:31
Member (2006)
German to Portuguese
+ ...
Windows 7 Ultimate . Feb 3, 2011

Ulf Samuelsson wrote:

I got a new laptop in February, and it had Win 7 installed, but I changed it to a dual boot system with my old XP installation disc.

Why?

I found that while Win 7 is nice to look at and does perform better than Vista, it doesn't beat XP when it comes to speed in Trados. (Reorganizing a memory with 500,000 TUs took 4 ½ minutes in Win 7, but only 3 minutes in Win XP.)

I still haven't found any specific reason for using Win 7 rather than Win XP. There isn't anything that I need to do that I cannot do faster in XP than in 7, and on top of that, I have an old Termdok database that use full-screen mode in DOS. My Win 7 graphics driver for nVidia refuse to allow full-screen mode, which is another reason for my preference for XP. (I can circumvent this problem by temporarily switching to the MS standard graphics driver and then switch back again after having used the database, but it isn't very workable if I need to use the database many times per day.)

Has anyone else found any really useful feature that is only found in Win 7?

I worked for years on a W-XP machine with 1 GB RAM memory, until one day a Lightning got lost inside the electrical net but found and destroyed my electrical stabilizer and the motherboard of this copmuter, but fortunately not the disks. Those lost lightnings are frequent on my neighborhood - 2 to 4 per year. Our Electrical Company like to pay those damages.

So, I thought it was time to get a new machine and owned a W-Vista one with free upgrade to W-7, and with 4 GB RAM. I acquired 4 more GB and purchased W-7 Ultimate, and went satisfied with it.

So, coming from W-XP 1 GB to a W-7 8 GB, I felt a very strong increase on speed!

Some people say that Windows Home User operating systems are not true operating systems, but only a part of one, so I opted to get Ultimate.

A first reason to migrate to W-7 is that Micro$oft will end free maintenance on W-XP in a near future, and, if someone then invents a new virus or alike exploring a new detected W- XP leak, Micro$oft would no more correct this problem.

Another reason for migration is that some software, more likely professional ones, (for example, DB2 data base manager from IBM) does only work on Windows professional systems. Maybe some mammoth-client ask me to translate a 20.000 pages manual in 2 months that needs some big iron translation software. I've got prepared to install this big iron in minutes!

And a third reason is that W-7 is full IPv6 compliant, I do not know about this on W-XP. So, I think I do not would have any migration issues on converting IPv4 to IPv6 connections.

HTH

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Windows 7 Ultimate / Windows XP

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »