Thread poster: Anke Guido
Anke Guido
Anke Guido
Local time: 18:59
English to German
+ ...
Aug 5, 2010

Dear everyone,

it seems my question will be overlooked in the "Windows and Trados 2007" thread. I suppose I should have posted it as a separate topic to begin with. Well, here is my problem again:

I will have to get a new laptop soon. I still use Trados 2006 with Windows XP and I wouldn't like to update to another Trados version right now (the laptop will cost me a lot already...).

I'm wondering which Windows version to get with the new laptop. XP is just p
... See more
Dear everyone,

it seems my question will be overlooked in the "Windows and Trados 2007" thread. I suppose I should have posted it as a separate topic to begin with. Well, here is my problem again:

I will have to get a new laptop soon. I still use Trados 2006 with Windows XP and I wouldn't like to update to another Trados version right now (the laptop will cost me a lot already...).

I'm wondering which Windows version to get with the new laptop. XP is just perfect for all the programmes I use at present, but I suppose Windows 7 would be the better option for new programmes in future. Of course, I could replace XP by Windows 7 at a future date, but that seems like going to a lot of trouble.

My question now is: does Trados 2006 run well with Windows 7?

Thanks a lot in advance for your answers.
Anke
Collapse

Peter Linton (X)
Peter Linton (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:59
Swedish to English
+ ...
Word Aug 5, 2010

I use Win XP with Trados 2007, because it works, and moving to a new operating system is always a time-consuming and even risky business. Better the devil you know.

But a much more important issue for you is what version of Microsoft's Word you have. As I understand it, current versions of Word (2007, 2010) do not support Basic for Applications. Trados 2006 needs that, Trados 2009 does not. That could be a deciding factor.

Anke Guido
Anke Guido
Local time: 18:59
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
which Windows version? Aug 6, 2010

Thanks for your reply, Peter. I suppose a compatibility issue regarding Office was to be expected... My oldish version works fine, and getting a new one would be ok, too.

I'm still not any the wiser, though, which Windows version to use. Hope I'll get some replies to that question:)

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Windows and Trados 2006?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »