Mara Ballarini  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 07:00
Member (2006)
English to Italian
+ ...
Aug 3, 2010

Hi
I've just got back home after a couple of months, turned my laptop on, it picked up the wireless connection automatically and connected without any problems, skype works fine, but every time i try to open internet explorer or firefox, I get a message saying that the page cannot be viewed. I've checked my firewall, and a few different things in Internet options and my computer settings, cleaned it all, but still nothing. I have windows xp SP3, and never had a problem of this sort so far,
... See more
Hi
I've just got back home after a couple of months, turned my laptop on, it picked up the wireless connection automatically and connected without any problems, skype works fine, but every time i try to open internet explorer or firefox, I get a message saying that the page cannot be viewed. I've checked my firewall, and a few different things in Internet options and my computer settings, cleaned it all, but still nothing. I have windows xp SP3, and never had a problem of this sort so far, here nor with any other connections I've used. Other computers work perfectly with the same wireless connection here at my place.
Any suggestions?
I've been trying to fix the problem for days now and I really don't know what else to do.
I'm worried I may have picked a bug or malware or something as I connected at the airport on my way back here...
Thanks in advance for any help.
Mara
Collapse

Mohamed Kamel
Mohamed Kamel  Identity Verified
Egypt
Local time: 23:00
English to Arabic
Check proxy settings Aug 3, 2010

Dear Mara,

You have a good evident that the connection is working well, it is skype. So, your connection is working well. On the other hand, I recommend that you should check your proxy settings and see if this works.

Have a good day!

Mohamed Kamel

Mara Ballarini
Australia
Member (2006)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
how do I check my proxy settings? Aug 3, 2010

Hi Mohamed,

thanks for your quick reply.
How do I check my proxy settings? What should they be?

Thank you again!

Mohamed Kamel
Egypt
English to Arabic
Proxy settings Aug 3, 2010

Dear Mara,

To find proxy settings in your browser (supposedly Firefox), you should go to:

Tools ---- Options ---- Advanced (tap)

In the advanced tab you'll find a tab named "settings", please check proxy there and see the results.

HTH
Mohamed

Mara Ballarini
Australia
Member (2006)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
proxy Aug 3, 2010

Hi Mohamed,

I've checked there - the only thing I see related to proxy is the box "Use HTTP 1.1 with connections through proxy", which is ticked.

Is that right?

Mohamed Kamel
Egypt
English to Arabic
Amendment Aug 3, 2010

Dear Mara,

I don't see that option in my browser settings, I made a mistake here, the proxy settings in your browser (supposedly Firefox), should be here:

Tools ---- Options ---- Advanced (tap) - Network

In the Network tab you'll find a tab named "settings", please check proxy there and see the results.

MK

Karletto
Karletto
English to Slovenian
+ ...
ipconfig Aug 3, 2010

First open control panel > network connections > choose the connection, click right mouse and repair the connection.

If it doesn't work,
open start > run> type cmd > press OK
new window opens
in new window type ipconfig /release, press enter and wait till it's done
than type ipconfig /renew

3. kick the box

[Edited at 2010-08-03 06:42 GMT]

[Edited at 2010-08-03 06:43 GMT]

Mara Ballarini
Australia
Member (2006)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
proxy Aug 3, 2010

Hi Mohamed

in the LAN settings in Tools > Connections, no boxes are checked, including the server proxy box.

Hi Karletto,

thanks for your suggestions. I had already done the first one without any success, I'll try the second one and I hope not to need the third on although that's exactly what I'd feel like doing....

Mara Ballarini
Australia
Member (2006)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
ipconfig Aug 3, 2010

Unfortunately Karletto, I've tried solution number 2 also without success

Robert Tucker (X)
Robert Tucker (X)
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:00
German to English
+ ...
DNS Aug 3, 2010

Maybe your computer is not finding the DNS of your ISP. Check the instructions here:

http://www.wikihow.com/Set-up-DHCP-Network-Settings-on-Windows-XP

Assuming you usually connect using DHCP, of course.

Also try typing http://66.193.29.150 into your brow
... See more
Maybe your computer is not finding the DNS of your ISP. Check the instructions here:

Also try typing http://66.193.29.150 into your browser URL window (you should get ProZ.com home page) or open a command line terminal and type: ping 66.193.29.150
Collapse

Valentina Parisi
Valentina Parisi  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
Just a try Aug 3, 2010

Ciao Mara,

last month I had a similar issue and in the end I solved by:

START>PROGRAMMI>INTERNET EXPLORER>(cliccare sull'icona con il tasto destro del mouse e selezionare)>AVVIA SENZA COMPONENTI AGGIUNTIVI

(I gave you the Italian path as I have it on my laptop)

In brief, all the added tools (google maps, notifier, proz tool bar, and the like) prevent your IE to run correclty. Then you can add them all back and everything should work fine.
... See more
Ciao Mara,

last month I had a similar issue and in the end I solved by:

START>PROGRAMMI>INTERNET EXPLORER>(cliccare sull'icona con il tasto destro del mouse e selezionare)>AVVIA SENZA COMPONENTI AGGIUNTIVI

(I gave you the Italian path as I have it on my laptop)

In brief, all the added tools (google maps, notifier, proz tool bar, and the like) prevent your IE to run correclty. Then you can add them all back and everything should work fine.

HTH

Vale
Collapse

Mara Ballarini
Australia
Member (2006)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
more tests - still nothing Aug 3, 2010

Thank you Robert and Vale for your suggestions. I'm afraid to say I tried both and still nothing. Something weird has happed though: when I turned on the computer this morning, not only Skype but also Wondows Live Messenger worked. The latter hadn't worked since I started having this problem. HOwever, when I tried to access my hotmail inbox from there - nothing happened. But Messenger is still working.
Also, Robert, I have tried to type in the string you gave me for the proz URL, and it op
... See more
Thank you Robert and Vale for your suggestions. I'm afraid to say I tried both and still nothing. Something weird has happed though: when I turned on the computer this morning, not only Skype but also Wondows Live Messenger worked. The latter hadn't worked since I started having this problem. HOwever, when I tried to access my hotmail inbox from there - nothing happened. But Messenger is still working.
Also, Robert, I have tried to type in the string you gave me for the proz URL, and it opened the page! However, after that I tried to navigate it and it wouldn't let me. I did it a second time and it didn't work again. I've tried doing it with Firefox too, but with no success HOwever, something else has changed, I can now see a heading in the tab of the site that is trying to open - before I couldn't; and in the bottom bar I can see 'Waiting for...' + the name of the site I'm trying to connect to, before it was almost always 'Connecting to 1.0.0.0'
Collapse

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)
Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 04:00
English to Thai
+ ...
Change of DNS without my knowledge Aug 4, 2010

Robert Tucker wrote:
Also try typing http://66.193.29.150 into your browser URL window (you should get ProZ.com home page) or open a command line terminal and type: ping 66.193.29.150

I totally agree with this suggestion. In my case, I set the DNS many years since I first subscribed to the ISP. In last week I had a similar trouble many and many times. By google searching about the issues, I happened to find that my ISP has changed the DNS to 2 new addresses. I rewrote my DNS settings accordingly and the problem disappears.

I wonder any ISP can change its DNS without noticing the subscribers or not.

Regards,

Soonthon L.

RieM
RieM  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:00
English to Japanese
+ ...
Have you scanned the network? Aug 4, 2010

Hi Mara,

Have you already scanned the wireless network from your laptop? If not yet, please do!

WinXP doesn't provide a built-in mobile utility like Vista and Win7, and so either a card manufacturer (such as Intel) or a Hardware vendor (such as Dell) normally provides such a tool. It allows you to view and tweak wi-fi settings, scan the area and find available networks, set the preferences, check connecting speed and run diagnostics, etc.

If your machine h
... See more
Hi Mara,

Have you already scanned the wireless network from your laptop? If not yet, please do!

WinXP doesn't provide a built-in mobile utility like Vista and Win7, and so either a card manufacturer (such as Intel) or a Hardware vendor (such as Dell) normally provides such a tool. It allows you to view and tweak wi-fi settings, scan the area and find available networks, set the preferences, check connecting speed and run diagnostics, etc.

If your machine had Windows XP preinstalled (or a auto-script was set to go), this tool should be installed as well. (I keep my fingers crossed!). Please try and let us know what you find.

From what you described, the laptop is connecting to some access point whose connection is very weak and timing out. Could be a someone's ill-configured private network, which explains why Outlook doesn't work.

Good luck!

Rie
Collapse

Mara Ballarini
Australia
Member (2006)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
problem solved... Aug 4, 2010

...don't ask me how though! :-0
thank you Soonthon and Rie for your input too!
After that weird stuff happened this morning I played around a bit and rang my provider support service again (the other day they made me try different thing but with no success). Anyway, connected with an ethernet cable (thing that I had already tried before though) in Start > Run > cmd, they made me type in the following netsh int ip reset log.txt, and enter. THen I restarted the computer and although it
... See more
...don't ask me how though! :-0
thank you Soonthon and Rie for your input too!
After that weird stuff happened this morning I played around a bit and rang my provider support service again (the other day they made me try different thing but with no success). Anyway, connected with an ethernet cable (thing that I had already tried before though) in Start > Run > cmd, they made me type in the following netsh int ip reset log.txt, and enter. THen I restarted the computer and although it took ages to restart and to do things, it connected!!! I mean everything worked, including IE. Then we disconnected the ethernet cable and connected wireless, but of course it didn't work. So they made me try and type in a specific DNS in the Internet Protocol properties instead of the computer picking it automatically (we had tried this before but with no success), and this time it worked!! everything is working and i'm finally writing to you from my computer!
I wrote all this in case somebody else needs to know in the future (I hope not) or if you were wondering... But to tell you the truth I think it was just some magic!!!
thanks everyone for all your support and suggestions!
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Internet and outlook not working

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »