Daniela Ciafardoni
Daniela Ciafardoni  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:20
Italian to English
+ ...
Jul 27, 2010

Dear all,
I am just looking for some advice as regards to the use of Windows 7.
I am not very knowleadgeable about computers, so please bear with me!

I am thinking of purchasing a new laptop as my older PC has started running very slowly, does anyone have any tips on whether Trados 2007 functions smoothly with Windows 7?
I currently have Windows Vista Home Basic and Microsoft Office 2007 small business. I also have Trados 2007.
I have not been happy with thi
... See more
Dear all,
I am just looking for some advice as regards to the use of Windows 7.
I am not very knowleadgeable about computers, so please bear with me!

I am thinking of purchasing a new laptop as my older PC has started running very slowly, does anyone have any tips on whether Trados 2007 functions smoothly with Windows 7?
I currently have Windows Vista Home Basic and Microsoft Office 2007 small business. I also have Trados 2007.
I have not been happy with this combination as I could not use Trados 2007 to its full potential. I could only work with TagEditor as Workbench would not function on Word documents, it ran incredibly slowly taking approximately 20 seconds to move from one segment to the other.
I am just wondering if anyone knew whether it would function better with windows 7 or if anyone has any suggestions with regards to the purchase of my laptop and software. Everyone seems to agree that Trados 2007 works well with windows XP, but I don't know whether i can still purchase this, whether there would be much point in doing this and whether it would run with microsoft Office 2007.
I don't mind not using the latest software, I would just like to have Trados up and running at a faster speed!
Thanks in advance for your kind advice, I'm looking forward to hearing your suggestions.
Daniela
Collapse

Giuliana Buscaglione
Giuliana Buscaglione  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:20
Member (2001)
German to Italian
+ ...
No problem Jul 27, 2010

Hello Daniela,

I have Suite 2007 running smoothly under Win7 32-bit & Win7 64-bit (and Studio 2009 as well), no XP virtualization, so I see no problems (well, in my experience, and I use Suite every day).

As far as your 2007 problem with Vista, I wonder whether the problem was the specific (heavily formatted??) file, as under Vista Home Premium and later Ultimate, my Suite 2007 runs smoothly... as long as I don't have to translate heavy *docs in MSWord, but this has alw
... See more
Hello Daniela,

I have Suite 2007 running smoothly under Win7 32-bit & Win7 64-bit (and Studio 2009 as well), no XP virtualization, so I see no problems (well, in my experience, and I use Suite every day).

As far as your 2007 problem with Vista, I wonder whether the problem was the specific (heavily formatted??) file, as under Vista Home Premium and later Ultimate, my Suite 2007 runs smoothly... as long as I don't have to translate heavy *docs in MSWord, but this has always been an issue with all versions of Trados AFAIK (MSWord pagination thingie.... In the file area of TW_users there is (I hope it is still there) a macro to prevent MSWord to perform that each time the doc length changes, practically at any segment opening/closing at a certain point)...

Giuliana

[Edited at 2010-07-27 20:26 GMT]
Collapse

Ana Malovrh
Ana Malovrh  Identity Verified
Slovenia
Local time: 22:20
German to Slovenian
+ ...
Windows 7 is faster than Windows Vista Jul 27, 2010

Hello Daniela,

Vista needs a loooot of RAM to function properly (at least 2 GB), Windows 7 doesn't "consume" so much space and is therefore program and user friendlier. The compatibility of older programs with Windows 7 is also supposed to be better that with Vista.

Trados runs with Windows Office 2007 with no problems.

Vista has a reputation of being slow and unpractical, although very beautiful...
See more
Hello Daniela,

Vista needs a loooot of RAM to function properly (at least 2 GB), Windows 7 doesn't "consume" so much space and is therefore program and user friendlier. The compatibility of older programs with Windows 7 is also supposed to be better that with Vista.

Trados runs with Windows Office 2007 with no problems.

Vista has a reputation of being slow and unpractical, although very beautiful .

Since I upgraded my RAM to 2 GB Trados runs on Vista just fine, but if you plan to purchase a new laptop, Windows 7 would be a better choice.
Collapse

Wojciech Strzalkowski
Wojciech Strzalkowski  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
Works fine on Windows 7 Jul 27, 2010

Hello!

I'm using Windows 7 64-bit with Trados and it runs smoothly without any problems. Since you're buying a new laptop I'd suggest making sure it has more than 2GB of RAM.

Yana Bukharova
Yana Bukharova  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 16:20
English to Russian
+ ...
No problem at all (works better than with Vista) Jul 28, 2010

It really works better with W7, rather than with Vista (from my own experience), simply because W7 is just more solid than Vista. No problem at all, full capability. Don't worry.

Daniela Ciafardoni
Daniela Ciafardoni  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:20
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Jul 29, 2010

Thanks to everyone, I'll definitely go for it then!
Daniela

Anke Guido
Anke Guido
English to German
+ ...
Trados 2006? Aug 4, 2010

I will have to get a new laptop soon. I still use Trados 2006 with Windows XP and I wouldn't like to update to another Trados version right now (the laptop will cost me a lot already...).

I'm wondering which Windows version to get with the new laptop. XP is just perfect for all the programmes I use at present, but I suppose Windows 7 would be the better option for new programmes in future. Of course, I could replace XP by Windows 7 at a future date, but that seems like going to a lo
... See more
I will have to get a new laptop soon. I still use Trados 2006 with Windows XP and I wouldn't like to update to another Trados version right now (the laptop will cost me a lot already...).

I'm wondering which Windows version to get with the new laptop. XP is just perfect for all the programmes I use at present, but I suppose Windows 7 would be the better option for new programmes in future. Of course, I could replace XP by Windows 7 at a future date, but that seems like going to a lot of trouble.

My question now is: does Trados 2006 run well with Windows 7?

Thanks a lot in advance for your answers.
Anke
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Windows 7 - Trados 2007

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »