Can I install Office on a second PC (laptop)
Thread poster: Buck
Buck
Buck
Netherlands
Local time: 15:10
Dutch to English
Jul 16, 2010

Hi. I bought XP a few years ago and it was pre-installed on my pc. The original disks were provided. After a recent fire in my home (PC survived intact, but my laptop melted, but the HD was ok and I'm using it as an external HD with a second-hand laptop that does not have windows on it), I attempted to start windows from that external HD, but to no avail. I also copied the relevant files from the external HD to the laptop, but that didn't work, either. Does anyone know how I can:
a) launch
... See more
Hi. I bought XP a few years ago and it was pre-installed on my pc. The original disks were provided. After a recent fire in my home (PC survived intact, but my laptop melted, but the HD was ok and I'm using it as an external HD with a second-hand laptop that does not have windows on it), I attempted to start windows from that external HD, but to no avail. I also copied the relevant files from the external HD to the laptop, but that didn't work, either. Does anyone know how I can:
a) launch windows (and Office) from the external HD
b) or install it on the laptop using the original disks (so far, I have been unsuccessful)?

Thanks in advance for your input.
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Preinstalled Office may not be installed on more than one machine Jul 16, 2010

Or at least this is what I was told by Microsoft.
If you have OEM software (ie preinstalled) you can install it on one machine. Microsoft software will install even on a different machine, but you may have ONLY ONE copy of the software installed.
When you buy a so called "full version" you may install it on TWO PCs.
And the "Home & Student" may be installed on maximum 3 PCs.
So far my information.

Buck
Buck
Netherlands
Dutch to English
TOPIC STARTER
thanks Jul 16, 2010

I guess that settles that, then LOL

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can I install Office on a second PC (laptop)

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »