NancyLynn
Canada
Local time: 13:36
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...

Jan 4, 2010

Hello all,

Regardless of whether I'm trying to save a document, open a folder, view my Programs list, everything is so excruciatingly slow with the little wheel spinning round, and almost every time the window greys out and I get: Not responding. What could be causing the problem, and how do I solve it, please?

Thanks so much!

Nancy

Tomas Mosler, DipTrans IoLET MCIL MITI
Tomas Mosler, DipTrans IoLET MCIL MITI  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 19:36
Member (2008)
English to Czech
SITE LOCALIZER
hard drive Jan 5, 2010

Maybe (just maybe! ) your hard drive has some errors.
Or it can be some virus or malware in your system.
Or something completely else (surely still annoying, but less critical).

To exclude the first possibility - does this occur also when you read from another drive or from a floppy/CD/DVD/flash? If NOT, you
... See more
Maybe (just maybe! ) your hard drive has some errors.
Or it can be some virus or malware in your system.
Or something completely else (surely still annoying, but less critical).

To exclude the first possibility - does this occur also when you read from another drive or from a floppy/CD/DVD/flash? If NOT, you could try to download HD Tune Pro ( http://www.hdtune.com/files/hdtunepro_400_trial.exe ) to test your HDD status; once you have it running, check the Health tab. There is an Error scan, too (may take some time though, depending on the size of your HDD). If there are some serious errors detected, backup all vital data and get a new HDD.

[Edited at 2010-01-05 01:02 GMT]
Collapse

vovan
vovan
United States
Local time: 10:36
Russian to English
+ ...
it is not that simple... Jan 5, 2010

Is the OS originaly came with this machine? What services are running?
Try to look through the Task Manager - Perfomance-Services- Processes.

NancyLynn
NancyLynn
Canada
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...

TOPIC STARTER
HDD trouble in the past Jan 5, 2010

Hi Tomas,

I bought this Dell XPS M1530 in May 2009. In September, total HDD failure. Had to send it back and get a new HDD, reinstall everything (OS, all software, you know the drill.) Everything seemed to work fine, but I noticed this slowing down when using Save As, and this developed into slow performance, hanging, on every use of Windows Explorer, be it Save, New Folder, open a document, navigate through the folders... It's a 10-minute job to retrieve a file under 4 or 5 layers
... See more
Hi Tomas,

I bought this Dell XPS M1530 in May 2009. In September, total HDD failure. Had to send it back and get a new HDD, reinstall everything (OS, all software, you know the drill.) Everything seemed to work fine, but I noticed this slowing down when using Save As, and this developed into slow performance, hanging, on every use of Windows Explorer, be it Save, New Folder, open a document, navigate through the folders... It's a 10-minute job to retrieve a file under 4 or 5 layers of folders, not acceptable obviously.

I hope I don't have to go through the HDD replacement again, though of course I will if I have to. I'm amazed. I paid $2400 for this computer and have had nothing but trouble. I bought it because I so loved the previous laptop, a Dell Inspiron 5150 I bought in May 2004 and used 5 years. It's still a better machine than this one, probably!

As for what's running, right now I have Mozzila Thunderbird, Firefox with 5 tabs open, and Trados WB and one doc folder (I'm just about to open the Word doc I need to translate today.) Surely not unreasonable for a translator. Certainly my previous laptop could handle all this and much more without all this trouble.

Thanks for your time.

Nancy
Collapse

Tomas Mosler, DipTrans IoLET MCIL MITI
Tomas Mosler, DipTrans IoLET MCIL MITI  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 19:36
Member (2008)
English to Czech
SITE LOCALIZER
... Jan 5, 2010

Just let us know after (if) you tested some other data storage device than the HDD, whether the behaviour is the same.

NancyLynn
NancyLynn
Canada
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...

TOPIC STARTER
Windows Update Jan 14, 2010

Thank so much for trying to help, everyone.

I suspected a problem with Windows, and I guess that's what it was. I knew I wasn't alone; an internet search revealed many complaints about this issue, with no resolutions or answers available. It seems Microsoft has been reading the fora, though, because last night's Windows Update solved my problem. Yay!

All the best,

Nancy

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Vista Home Premium 64-bit: Windows hangs, hangs, not responding

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »