Windows/Office Genuine
Thread poster: garrett higgins
garrett higgins
garrett higgins
Local time: 17:40
Italian to English
Oct 6, 2009

Hi. I use Windows Vista.
Recently, when I open Word, I get a message saying Office is not genuine and that it will be marked as non-genuine in x days. Windows is genuine it says, Office not.
Why might this be?
What will happen when it is marked as not genuine ?
I bought my pc through a regular retailer with office and windows already installed (though did recently download office.org).
Many thanks,
Garrett Higgins

EHI (X)
EHI (X)
Local time: 18:40
Read more Oct 6, 2009

Hello Garrett

This probably means that your serial number is on Microsoft's blacklist.
Click on the Read More button to learn what this exactly means.

If you can prove that you bought your software legally (or even a high quality counterfeit), you will be able to receive a new, genuine copy.

Hope this helps.

[Edited at 2009-10-06 07:21 GMT]

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
Hi Garrett Oct 6, 2009

If Office was preinstalled in you computer I am pretty sure that it was not activated. Maybe this is the problem? Have you activated it?

Natalia

garrett higgins
garrett higgins
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
I have activated Oct 12, 2009

yes, I have.
any idea what happens when I am marked as non-genuine? Will I lose functionality?
thanks

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
I don't think you should wait to see what happens Oct 12, 2009

You should contact your retailer asap.

Natalia

Rupert Spedding (X)
Rupert Spedding (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
Same problem Oct 13, 2009

Hi Garrett,

Were you able to resolve this issue? I've just had exactly the same problem with my laptop that I bought only 2 months ago from a reputable retailer. I'm in Korea though so explaining that through the language barrier may be touch difficult.

Rupert

garrett higgins
garrett higgins
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
still unresolved Oct 13, 2009

No, still unresolved... waiting to see what happens when the clock ticks down!
I will keep you posted (if my pc does not blow up!).
garrett

Laurent KRAULAND (X)
Laurent KRAULAND (X)  Identity Verified
France
French to German
+ ...
The worst possible option Oct 13, 2009

garrett higgins wrote:

No, still unresolved... waiting to see what happens when the clock ticks down!
I will keep you posted (if my pc does not blow up!).
garrett

To everybody their choices and decisions, but as it has been said before, I would try to solve this issue while there is still time to do so. I honestly don't know what MS would/could do, but I have heard that they have a rather hard policy when it comes to licences.

delveneto
delveneto
United States
Local time: 12:40
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Back to trial Nov 6, 2009

Be your Office 2007 legal or not, if its status as "genuine" expires for any reason then the software goes into "reduced-functionality mode".

In reduced-functionality mode, programs function similarly to viewers. When a program runs in reduced-functionality mode, many commands are unavailable (dimmed). Therefore, you cannot access those functionalities. Some of the limitations of reduced-functionality mode include the following:

- You cannot create new documents.
... See more
Be your Office 2007 legal or not, if its status as "genuine" expires for any reason then the software goes into "reduced-functionality mode".

In reduced-functionality mode, programs function similarly to viewers. When a program runs in reduced-functionality mode, many commands are unavailable (dimmed). Therefore, you cannot access those functionalities. Some of the limitations of reduced-functionality mode include the following:

- You cannot create new documents.
- You can view existing documents. However, you cannot edit them.
- You can print documents. However, you cannot save them.

No existing Office files are damaged. Additionally, you can easily stop Office from running in reduced-functionality mode. To do this, follow the instructions in the screens that appear.

Source: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927921

The same applies to Office 2003: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/827291.

[Edited at 2009-11-06 03:23 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Windows/Office Genuine

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »