Software incompatibility issues under Vista 64-bit
Thread poster: Jonathan MacKerron
Jonathan MacKerron
Jonathan MacKerron  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
Jul 30, 2009

Hi to all,
Just bought a new PC with Vista 64-bit installed, perhaps stupidly as it turns out. My trusted old Thieme Leximed (version 1.0) does not work at all, though Thieme claimed it would. Does anyone know if perhaps this program does indeed run under Vista 32-bit?
There are also several older programs that don't work either, such as the Duden Oxford Großwörterbuch.
Have already pretty much decided to return this model, but still need to weigh the pros and contras of tra
... See more
Hi to all,
Just bought a new PC with Vista 64-bit installed, perhaps stupidly as it turns out. My trusted old Thieme Leximed (version 1.0) does not work at all, though Thieme claimed it would. Does anyone know if perhaps this program does indeed run under Vista 32-bit?
There are also several older programs that don't work either, such as the Duden Oxford Großwörterbuch.
Have already pretty much decided to return this model, but still need to weigh the pros and contras of trading down to Vista 32-bit or simply keeping XP.
Would appreciate any experience you might be able to share, particulary Windows version compatibility issues as regards popular electronic dictionaries such as Ernst, Dietl-Lorenz etc.
Jonathan

PS: have also heard, that is increasingly difficult to buy a new PC in Germany that comes with XP; at least Dell isn't offering XP any more...

[Edited at 2009-07-30 13:03 GMT]

[Edited at 2009-07-30 13:07 GMT]
Collapse

heikeb
heikeb  Identity Verified
Ireland
Local time: 15:06
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
. Jul 30, 2009

I have a 64 bit Vista system.
The interim solution, until all of my main translation tools will run on 64 bit (one down, one to go), is a virtual environment running XP. With a virtual environment running, you can just switch between systems just like you'd switch between different applications. Pretty cool.

I will keep my virtual drive even after that since I have some older dictionaries that don't support 64 bit, or Vista, or who knows what.

My recommendation wo
... See more
I have a 64 bit Vista system.
The interim solution, until all of my main translation tools will run on 64 bit (one down, one to go), is a virtual environment running XP. With a virtual environment running, you can just switch between systems just like you'd switch between different applications. Pretty cool.

I will keep my virtual drive even after that since I have some older dictionaries that don't support 64 bit, or Vista, or who knows what.

My recommendation would be Virtual Box (free), as you can adjust the required resources (RAM, hard disk space) on the fly.
Since one of my main tools that didn't run was Dragon Naturally Speaking (the latest update supports 64 bit, finally), I had to use Microsoft's Virtual PC (also free). The advantage of Virtual PC: You can drag & drop files between the two OSes (although one direction stopped working pretty quickly). But file transfer via shared folders works fine. Not bad either, but if you want to increase/reduce allocated RAM and/or hard disk space, you have to create a new virtual drive and go through the entire installation process again (including SP2 for XP, without which the program won't run properly).

For any virtual environment you need to own the OS version(s) (installation CDs) you want to install. Since most PC don't provide any installation disks for their OS anymore, that might be a problem. I think you can find a solutions for this problem online.
Collapse

Jonathan MacKerron
Jonathan MacKerron  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks for the information Oct 30, 2009

and sorry it's taken me so long to get back to you - J

delveneto
delveneto
United States
Local time: 10:06
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Take a look at XP Mode for Win7 Nov 6, 2009

If your Win7 is Professional or Ultimate, it already comes with XP Mode, a virtual environment for you to run older apps. You don't need an extra license to install XP. If it is not Pro or Ultimate (which I guess it is the case), you can upgrade your Win7 to one of these two versions, instead of buying a XP license to install in a virtual machine.

BTW, XP Mode only works in Win7 Pro or Ultimate if notebook has hardware support for the virtualization technology (basically dependent o
... See more
If your Win7 is Professional or Ultimate, it already comes with XP Mode, a virtual environment for you to run older apps. You don't need an extra license to install XP. If it is not Pro or Ultimate (which I guess it is the case), you can upgrade your Win7 to one of these two versions, instead of buying a XP license to install in a virtual machine.

BTW, XP Mode only works in Win7 Pro or Ultimate if notebook has hardware support for the virtualization technology (basically dependent on the CPU kind) so be sure your notebook has such support if you decide for this solution. If not, MS Virtual PC, as previously mentioned by Heike, is a good solution (but will run not as fast as the built-in functionality).
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Software incompatibility issues under Vista 64-bit

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »